Gray's comments after the Wolves game.

"I'm disappointed the penalty was given because it was a good tackle.

"I've seen it back, we've lost possession, Wolves have broken and the boy Dielna has put a fair tackle in. I don't think he (Dicko) has dived but his momentum took him over his leg.

"What has helped is 5,000 Wolves fans appealing for the penalty, I'm disappointed but I can't blame the referee for the next two goals."

--------------------------------------------------------------

7dd39a6523ac48b42a1f7e7b60bf6f26.png

20 shots and only 3 on target....fkin hell!!..... also 56% possession away from home but we get thumped 3-0!

What the hell do we do in training? clearly needing quite a few players in the summer because this lot and perhaps the management team are struggling to bring it into match day games.

Two ex defenders as our main men

The attacking coach (if we have one) wants showing the door a.s.a.p

Stole a wage this season

As for gray.I thought irvines tactics was defensively minded but Gray takes the wee wee

Ever never seen us so shitt going on the attack in 20 years following Wednesday

Gray needs to go

Blames the pitch for bad performances but we got battered on a perfectly good pitch.

Sick of his shitt excuses for his shitt tactics

Can tell he was Jones assistant cus he's beginning to turn into him.

Wouldn't trust him with money

Defensive minded? We had 20 shots away from home against a decent team. We played with two "strikers" and two "attacking wide men", plus a forward looking midfielder in McGugan.

Gray didn't set us up to score nil.

Gray didn't miss the chances, give the dodgy pen or allow their lad to advance 20 yards unchallenged for the third.

Our problem attacking-wise is plain and simple a lack of quality. We sold probably our best attacking player on the eve of the season and have only managed to replace him with potential. Add to that injuries to Keane and Bus from current squad.

FFS let's just see this season out, splash the cash in the summer and make a proper assessment of Gray after 12 games next season. No excuses then, but plenty of genuine ones now.

Defensive minded? We had 20 shots away from home against a decent team. We played with two "strikers" and two "attacking wide men", plus a forward looking midfielder in McGugan.

Gray didn't set us up to score nil.

Gray didn't miss the chances, give the dodgy pen or allow their lad to advance 20 yards unchallenged for the third.

Our problem attacking-wise is plain and simple a lack of quality. We sold probably our best attacking player on the eve of the season and have only managed to replace him with potential. Add to that injuries to Keane and Bus from current squad.

FFS let's just see this season out, splash the cash in the summer and make a proper assessment of Gray after 12 games next season. No excuses then, but plenty of genuine ones now.

That's about the extent of it

Anyone that looks at us over the course of the season and thinks that we are a million miles away from at least threatening the top 6 in this division needs to take there head and give it a good shake.

McGugan is a must, I would hope that this deal will be done before the end of the season (behind the scenes).

I was not there last night so cannot really comment about how we played, but all of this stats look promising aside from the one that matters, as for Gray, I am not sure that I trust him with a war chest, but that is not our decision to make, but stats don't lie and we are having our best season since the one decent season Laws had.

Wait on see I guess.

It is now the middle of March and our play in the attacking third is still woeful. We just don't move the ball quick enough and I am now starting to question what instructions are given to the players as it seems they don't have a clue what to do with the ball. Where is the aggressive running off the ball into positive positions? We never look at knocking balls in behind full backs that our wide men should be expecting and anticipating. Maghoma rarely thinks to try and beat his man on the outside and whip an early ball into the box. Maguire takes too many touches on the ball and slows the play down. Maybe I was spoilt watching full backs and wide midfielders work in tandem i.e Nilsson, Harkes, Waddle, Worthington & King plus they could actually put a quality ball into the box.

...we're mid-table mediocrity at its best. We need two decent wingers, another decent midfield player and a striker and hopefully not as many injuries in the defence next season.

We get beat by those teams who have the pace and quality on the break and that's even more evident when we are weakened defensively and when the current midfield go missing.

Those teams are the ones pushing for promotion but I have no doubt that we will be there next season.

Guest wayne the owl

Milan knew we needed quality strikers.

We're reaping the rewards of not having invested where it matters.

It's all Grays fault. Did you miss the memo ?

Edited by wayne the owl

To me, we are caught between two stalls. We don't have the quality in attacking areas to take the game to the opposition, or should I say, to hurt them. Worse though, we've lost the solidity we had earlier in the season and often concede because we push forward, but without any real conviction. Until we could afford to bring in better quality up front, we'd have been better replacing Antonio's speed, keeping it tight, and catching teams on the break.

Lack of quality forwards, that's it. We created the chances but didn't put them away, as we have most of the season. We need at least two forwards, two wide men and probably another central midfielder (assuming we get McGugan too.)

"I'm disappointed the penalty was given because it was a good tackle.

"I've seen it back, we've lost possession, Wolves have broken and the boy Dielna has put a fair tackle in. I don't think he (Dicko) has dived but his momentum took him over his leg.

"What has helped is 5,000 Wolves fans appealing for the penalty, I'm disappointed but I can't blame the referee for the next two goals."

--------------------------------------------------------------

7dd39a6523ac48b42a1f7e7b60bf6f26.png

20 shots and only 3 on target....fkin hell!!..... also 56% possession away from home but we get thumped 3-0!

What the hell do we do in training? clearly needing quite a few players in the summer because this lot and perhaps the management team are struggling to bring it into match day games.

Well if them stats are for real,then a bit of tweaking and two strikers and a winger then everything will be perfect.....

Thin the stats are slightly misleading as it was a comfortable defeat last night.

Overall with the money we have spent we should be where Rotherham are in the table. I have to agree the football is dull to watch at times but hoping this is a season of consolidation and push on next season if we get the right players.

56% possession, 20 shots but only 3 on target. Not tactics at fault is it?

It depends. If the 20 shots were speculative, then yes.

As Guru has said, we never attack with conviction. There is always the thought in our head that we need to get back in to our defensive positions so we rarely have more than 2 people in their box. McGugan should be the player bombing into the box, supported by the winger not in possession but this doesn't happen on a regular basis. This is borne out of fear, confidence or tactics.

Edited by DuncOwl

It is now the middle of March and our play in the attacking third is still woeful. We just don't move the ball quick enough and I am now starting to question what instructions are given to the players as it seems they don't have a clue what to do with the ball. Where is the aggressive running off the ball into positive positions? We never look at knocking balls in behind full backs that our wide men should be expecting and anticipating. Maghoma rarely thinks to try and beat his man on the outside and whip an early ball into the box. Maguire takes too many touches on the ball and slows the play down. Maybe I was spoilt watching full backs and wide midfielders work in tandem i.e Nilsson, Harkes, Waddle, Worthington & King plus they could actually put a quality ball into the box.

when supporters see this, and the management can't???

the possession stats fail to show us taking all day to expand a move...

the 'total football brigade' will be pulling themselves off at us taking 35 touches before we get it into their area, but, as you point out the need for urgency and not just dwelling on the ball for dwellings sake is badly in need of being put into action... 

the shooting stats really beggar the question "what do we do in training?"...

remember when lawsy had the then squad in for shooting practice???

i believe from memory we had a sticky fixture with burnley, and breezed it 3-0 with top drawer shooting...

you can watch our present set pre match, and they look like they can't even kick a ball straight...

i looked a week or so ago, and thought that fulham was a must win, as we had a tight run in, the sticky fixtures from now on in, will be the test of gray, and i believe he will be judged by them...

To me, we are caught between two stalls. We don't have the quality in attacking areas to take the game to the opposition, or should I say, to hurt them. Worse though, we've lost the solidity we had earlier in the season and often concede because we push forward, but without any real conviction. Until we could afford to bring in better quality up front, we'd have been better replacing Antonio's speed, keeping it tight, and catching teams on the break.

and THAT WAS our away game...

The stats don't tell the truth. We could have had all the possession in the world but we would never have scored if we'd still been playing. I get Grey's had no money but the boring turgid football that is doled up is his game plan. We never do anything quickly, throw ins, free kicks. Everything is slowed right down. He has done a good job to get us where we are I accept, but I can't see any difference next year from him, money or no money. He'll probably buy another half a dozen defenders because he thinks Atty and Steve May are the new Sturridge and Suarez.

56% possession, 20 shots but only 3 on target. Not tactics at fault is it?

Were you there? If so you'd know that we had a lot of possession because we passed the ball around the back a lot, got to halfway and then passed back again because we had nowhere to go. Plus Westwood, hero though he is,  has a quite annoying habit of taking an absolute age over goal kicks etc. even when we're drawing or losing.

We're not good enough to get the ball into the box and create chances (a couple of headed chances from crosses was all we mustered up, Maghoma of all people with a good header that brought a brililiant save, and Nuhiu with his standard missed headers) so the vast majority of those "goal attempts" were speculative efforts from distance most of which went nowhere near the goal.

So were the tactics at fault? I don't know, we didn't seem to actually have any.