Sheffield + District U18 Cup Final This Thursday.....

If you are free this Thursday evening get yourself along to Stocksbridge PS ground with a 19.30 KO to witness a little bit of history being made.

The 2 finalists of this prestigious cup are both from one club for the 1st ever time.

Handsworth"A" will take on Handsworth "B" in the League Cup final in a game that pits the 2 still unbeaten sides against each other.

The League cup is sure to have a Handsworth name on it for the 3rd Consecutive year...but which one??

Entry is £3/1 inc programme.

This really is the cream of the age group with some real talent on show....only last week the Handsworth U19 side beat full time pro side Mansfield Town to reach the North Midlands Cup final, a number of the U18's on show featured in the U19's win.

Hope to see you there and give your support to a club that is really nurturing real talent in the city.

A v B in a Junior cup competition such a concentration of riches. Exactly what we are seeking to avoid at every level of the game.

Probably give the most meaningless Cup Final in S & H's long history a miss. 

What an odd quote given that within the league are U18 teams from Worksop Town, Sheffield FC , Stocksbridge PS, Hallam FC, Staveley MW, Athersely Rec to name but a few...representatives from the very best of the Non league scene in Sheffield and Surrounding areas.

Anyway for those interested in the local football scene....The Final KO's at 19.30 this Thursday at Stocksbridge PS entry £3/£1 (inc programme) :-)

Why is it an odd quote ? Obviously the Handsworth B team have some very worthy players.

Just wondering why, Individually, the players would choose to be a second stringer at Handsworth rather than a first teamer somewhere else ?

As for me going, not a chance the competition has been won by Handworth...What is the point ?

Edited by nevthelodgemoorowl

Why is it an odd quote ? Obviously the Handsworth B team have some very worthy players.

Just wondering why, Individually, the players would choose to be a second stringer at Handsworth rather than a first teamer somewhere else ?

The B team isn't a reserve team - it's just another team.

Handsworths win at all costs at every level is paying dividends. This philosophy is exatly the opposite of what the FA are trying to do with no league tables at all junior levels eventually. There are 2 types of junior club, win at all costs and give everyone a chance to develop. I know which one i prefer and promote when coaching at my under 12 level.

As for me going, not a chance the competition has been won by Handworth...What is the point ?

How about to support some local lads and watch a football match? It's £3 so hardly the FA cup final

Handsworths win at all costs at every level is paying dividends. This philosophy is exatly the opposite of what the FA are trying to do with no league tables at all junior levels eventually. There are 2 types of junior club, win at all costs and give everyone a chance to develop. I know which one i prefer and promote when coaching at my under 12 level.

The way the junior league is going with the new regional league,clubs like you and I help coach won't be around much longer.

Guest Grez Bez

What's with all the negativity?

Handsworth are a great club giving hundreds of kids a chance to play at a good level....

Wow, Owlstalk does have its fair share of uninformed poo poo posted and this thread doesn't fail to deliver. Let's clear things up. The 'a' team are in their 2nd year at u18. The 'b' team are last years u16. They will be next years a team. Simple, no first choice team etc.

Handsworth develope players from the age of 7 and do not have a win at all costs attitude. Clearly the adult section of the club is keen to progress up the football pyramid and the u18 teams are the first step. Many players from the u18 have represented the first team in the NCEL.

The fact the club is run so well results in them retaining or attracting players at a time when other clubs struggle to keep players interested. It is for this reason that they dominate the young Adult football scene in and around Sheffield. Only 2 weeks ago the u19 beat a Mansfield youth team full of lads with scholarships or pro contracts. Probably showing that there is a fine line between some academy and Junior football.

So, just felt I needed to clear up some ill informed views of a simple request from someone to support Junior football.

P.S. Go watch a game of Girls football. The standard of some is on par with boys at the same age. Don't dismiss it if you haven't witnessed it.

Guest Grez Bez

Wow, Owlstalk does have its fair share of uninformed poo poo posted and this thread doesn't fail to deliver. Let's clear things up. The 'a' team are in their 2nd year at u18. The 'b' team are last years u16. They will be next years a team. Simple, no first choice team etc.

Handsworth develope players from the age of 7 and do not have a win at all costs attitude. Clearly the adult section of the club is keen to progress up the football pyramid and the u18 teams are the first step. Many players from the u18 have represented the first team in the NCEL.

The fact the club is run so well results in them retaining or attracting players at a time when other clubs struggle to keep players interested. It is for this reason that they dominate the young Adult football scene in and around Sheffield. Only 2 weeks ago the u19 beat a Mansfield youth team full of lads with scholarships or pro contracts. Probably showing that there is a fine line between some academy and Junior football.

So, just felt I needed to clear up some ill informed views of a simple request from someone to support Junior football.

P.S. Go watch a game of Girls football. The standard of some is on par with boys at the same age. Don't dismiss it if you haven't witnessed it.

Great post until the last bit. That's just daft.

The keepers....