Big Ron.

Guest Iron Hunter

Strachan would have been another cracking Big Ron signing.  At the time I thought that could be the difference between staying up or going down; in the end we stayed up that season anyway (88-89).

I still think we could have had a better team than L**ds (even with Strachan in it) had Francis brought in two or three key players ahead of the 91-92 season.

Francis took Ron's team added some top quality. However his attitude and the fact he didn't bring any youth along with the useless gentlemen s club of a board ment that when the team got older it collapsed and we sank further and further . We half reached for the stars but did to little to reach them yet too much to not have to.  Francis Did have a part in that along with the board.

Can't understand any ill feeling towards Big Ron when he went to Villa.

He was clearly conflicted about the move, so it wasn't a case of him 'lying'; he just had enormous difficulty making up his mind.

Villa were 'his' team.

How many of us on here can imagine that we'd turn managing Wednesday down, if we were football managers at other clubs?

Plus, you've got to remember the role his wife was playing in all this.

She'd elected to keep the family home in Birmingham, so Ron was commuting up to Sheffield to work.

His wife was in his ear, extolling the benefits of him taking the Villa job, so he had to turn down the job of his dreams AND wee wee his wife off to stay at Wednesday.

The fact he dithered about it for so long pays credit to his deep affection for SWFC.

Whats not to understand?

Put yourself in my position, stood in front of the townhall hearing him say he was staying, parading the cup , general feeling of euphoria . Couple of days later he`s off to Villa without as much as a second glance.

He was as good a manager as we have had, but as a man ----- he would get under a snakes belly with a top hat on :mad: .

Whats not to understand?

Put yourself in my position, stood in front of the townhall hearing him say he was staying, parading the cup , general feeling of euphoria . Couple of days later he`s off to Villa without as much as a second glance.

He was as good a manager as we have had, but as a man ----- he would get under a snakes belly with a top hat on :mad: .

Put yourself in my position I was inside the town hall at the civic reception (long story) went to shake hands with Big Ron and congratulate him etc. I said to him what all this about moving to Villa, he looked me straight in the eye and said why would anyone want to leave all this i'm going nowhere son.I can forgive him lying to the press,the board and the thousands outside but not to me face to face lying tw@t. lol