Big Ron.

Guest Iron Hunter

Guest Iron Hunter

Had Ron Atkinson not flipped off to Villa when he did,could we have feasibly won the league the season after?

"All" those times we would have qualified when English clubs were banned?!

You mean once? OK, twice if you include 91-92, when we were no longer banned, but just suffering from a reduced number of entry spots.

And who is to say we would have done anything? We hardly set the UEFA cup on fire in 92-93. Whimpering out to a bang average Kaiserslautern side.

Edited by Neal M

I move a lot of concrete on the QVC.

Guest Ash76

Nobody said he would.. Francis spent ridiculous amounts and only managed to send us backwards after his first season with BFR team

Francis took over as player-manager in June 1991 after Ron Atkinson (who had just guided them to Football League Cup glory and promotion to the First Division) told lies to us fans about staying and smelt the money from Aston Villa.

TF guided us to third place in the league in 1992, and earned them a UEFA Cup place. They finished seventh in the inaugural Premier League and were runners-up of the FA Cup and League Cup that year.

He was sacked in 1995 after Wednesday finished 13th – their lowest standing in four years since winning promotion.

Don't let any of that by pass the haterz, Francis did what he did with us at a HIGHER level, big fat Racist-Ron :biggrin:   chose to do one, his choice,

oh yet I forgot about Eric the seagull chaser, Francis didn't sign him yawn, yawn

All If's and buts  :biggrin:

(partly stolen from Wiki)

Bang on.

Love Big Ron, he's my favourite Wednesday manager of my lifetime but Tricky Trev did a great job for us and slated on here by many. I cant understand it... 

We played really beautiful football under the both of them.

But BG was the pioneer who created the total football ethos and was a miracle worker in the transfer market.

Being a manager is about off the pitch as well as on. In terms of charisma, I can't think of many that would outshine him- and I'm talking nationally. Even now.

Edited by Beholder

We should have beaten Kaiserslautern with the squad we had. I always regret that

Me too, i went to the first leg in Germany and will never forget the injustice i felt at that game.

Nearly blacked out when Hirsty scored early doors only to feel deflated when big Vivs tackle OUTSIDE the box was given as a penalty!!

Yep, Hirsty shouldn't have flicked out but the way that two hat dived earned a 9.9 from everyone in the return fixture.

Got some reyt photos from that night.

Can't understand any ill feeling towards Big Ron when he went to Villa.

He was clearly conflicted about the move, so it wasn't a case of him 'lying'; he just had enormous difficulty making up his mind.

Villa were 'his' team.

How many of us on here can imagine that we'd turn managing Wednesday down, if we were football managers at other clubs?

Plus, you've got to remember the role his wife was playing in all this.

She'd elected to keep the family home in Birmingham, so Ron was commuting up to Sheffield to work.

His wife was in his ear, extolling the benefits of him taking the Villa job, so he had to turn down the job of his dreams AND wee wee his wife off to stay at Wednesday.

The fact he dithered about it for so long pays credit to his deep affection for SWFC.

All those times we qualified for Europe while English teams were banned. That revenue could have set us up for good :mad:

Remind me again which club it was who's fans behaviour in Europe got English teams banned for 5 years?

I think he could. I certainly think we would have gone on to win more trophies (in fact I think any manager worth his salt would have gone on to win trophies with that team).

The team needed a top centre forward to partner Hirst. Francis signed Jemson (800k) and only then after Hirst got injured after the Notts County game.

A left midfielder (Irish was doing a great job there but his natural position was left back and there were better midfielders out there).  Plus we only had three left sided players.  Francis didn't sign a left midfielder until the 93-94 season (Sinton).

Possibly a centre back though if we had extended Madden's contract we could have got away without signing one that season. That would have left us with Pearson, Shirtliff, Anderson, Madden and of course Palmer could provide excellent cover there.  Francis signed Warhurst and, whilst he was a quality player, he was a bit of a liabilty at centre back and if anything weakened the team playing in that position.

He also spent 1.2 million on Woods for a position where we already had two good keepers.  That money plus the 800K spent on Jemson could have gone towards signing one of the best forwards in the country.

If I recall correctly Wednesday tried to sign Gordon Strachan when he decided to retire from Man Utd. At the time it was clear he needed a change but it was also clear he had a lot left in the tank. I'm not 100% sure my memory is right on the timing of this but I think Atkinson had just arrived at Hillsborough and Howard Wilkinson had moved to Leeds. I remember being genuinely surprised when he went to Leeds instead of linking up again with Atkinson. 

Strachan was a key reason why Leeds won the league and we didn't and I always thought that it was a missed opportunity, albeit at a time when we had a very good side. He was one of those players - even if you didn't like him - who had that "something" - belief, confidence, certainty, nerve - call it what you will, that divides winners from those who nearly make it.