Sterland versus Nilsson..

Guest Iron Hunter

Nilsson was probably the only truly 'world class' player I've ever seen in a Wednesday shirt (Waddle was not at his peak when he played for us and we will never know how good Hirst would have been).

It's all about opinions and I loved Zico but come on.....

Aye, what could hirsty have been. Amazing talent, even Trevor fransis wouldn't have had to see him on grass to work that one out haha. Most exciting player I've ever seen in a Wednesday shirt and he probably could have been twice as good.

Guest Fedor

How the hell are you supposed to split these two

Both world class

Only one of them was actually World class.

Thats how you split them.

Absolutely. Still gutted we never got to see how good he (Hirst) could have been.

Yea as bobby Robson's said about England's strike force “It’s not a question of who will replace Lineker, but who will partner David Hirstâ€. Even then still imo the best player I've ever seen play for us, says it all. Best ever at half his potential.

Yea as bobby Robson's said about England's strike force “It’s not a question of who will replace Lineker, but who will partner David Hirstâ€. Even then still imo the best player I've ever seen play for us, says it all. Best ever at half his potential.

Sorry abit off the topic of the thread :) just when legends come up can't help but mention him haha

Roland for me.

Watched The Owls since the 50's and for me one of our best ever.

Remember being gutted when he was injured at Millwall,we looked like Brazil up to that minute.

Zico was also great,but different qualities,the main one that he was/is one of ours!

Sorry Mel, you are my favourite, but Rolly was a different class.

UTO :biggrin:

This, my all time favourite Wednesday player and a Sheffield lad too! Agree that Nilsson was the better player though.

Zico was a dirty, rattly-engined, tank, but an unstoppable force, a gamechanger.

Roly was a Rolls Royce with an engine that purred, and he had effortless movement and grace.

Zico was the birth of punk rock.

Roly was smooth, sophisticated, American rock.

But who did I prefer?

Let's put it this way.......,,

I fought the law, but the law won.

Give me pure animal aggression any day.

A proper local hero.

Edited by theowlsman

One horse race for most of us who saw them at their very best. Nilsson played every minute in a team that came third in a World Cup. He is also fourth on the all-time list of caps for his country. Interestingly Niclas Alexandersson - a Wednesday who rarely gets a mention as a top player - is 6th on that list with over 100 Swedish caps.

One horse race for most of us who saw them at their very best. Nilsson played every minute in a team that came third in a World Cup. He is also fourth on the all-time list of caps for his country. Interestingly Niclas Alexandersson - a Wednesday who rarely gets a mention as a top player - is 6th on that list with over 100 Swedish caps.

Yeah Alexandersson was one of my fave players when he played for us