Sterland versus Nilsson..

Guest Iron Hunter

Guest everydays_wednesday

Luke Shaw.......how much......Roland was twice the player.......!

Made a young Giggs and Sharpe who were making everyone have kittens look ordinary !

Today's value.....£35m

I actually think Nigel Worthington and Phil King are as good as anything around today !

Guest WESTENDOWL

But Zico didn't leave because he was, ahem, 'homesick.'

Oh, how much I would love to see a homegrown talent akin to Sterland now.

Charlie Williamson was even better....

No he left for the money and thats from a guy who gave his lad the middle name Sterland

Edited by WESTENDOWL

Zico was my hero, to the point that when I decorated my bedroom around 83/84 I painted "Zico" on one of the walls in foot high letters and there it stayed till we moved (Wonder if the new tenants kept it ?).

Roly WAS pure class and it's been said in most posts one of the best players to ever wear the blue and white stripes.

Tough choice that really should'nt have to be made.

For me personally it's got to be Mel, local lad did good, England International, Wednesday through and through and a sound bloke.

Sos, Roly.

Guest WESTENDOWL

Right this was a quiz question so dont shoot the poster Who was the last Wednesday player to get two England caps on the same day.Answer Mel

His first and his last

In what way did he serve the club better?  Can't ever remember either of them being poor servants of the club.

now where did i say one of them was a poor servant....... sterland cost the club nowt played more games and fetched in about 700k ,

nilsson cost the club about 300k didnt play as many games and left us for nowt coz he or his missus (depending what story you

believe)were homesick .....that tells me sterland served the club better.

Mel was my first Wednesday hero. But Nilsson was a Rolls Royce of a player. So composed and elegant.

For the premier league's 20th anniversary they had a poll of best players in each position. Scandalously Roland was not even on the short list of 20 for right back. Even given that he only had a few seasons in the PL the fact Steven Carr was on that list and he wasn't was flipping ridiculous.

But Zico didn't leave because he was, ahem, 'homesick.'

Oh, how much I would love to see a homegrown talent akin to Sterland now.

Charlie Williamson was even better....

Charlie was bang average, nice hair though. Mel got as far as he did through hard work, and being ultra fit, as did most of Wilko's players, but Nilsson was pure class,and according to the pundits at the time,was the best right back in the world. Mel did brilliantly for us, but comparing the two is like comparing a Rolls Royce to a Ford Capri

If we're talking in terms of pure technical ability & class then it's obvious, I think, that Roland is not only the best right back we've ever had but one of the best players we've ever had....however, football is not only about class, it's about heart, grit & a willingness to run through brick walls, Zico had all that plus he was a decent player in his own right, he's my favourite all time player, playing with that swashbuckling style that thrilled most who watched him...we're lucky to have had both pull on the blue & white.

Guest WESTENDOWL

Nilsson was exceptional but Zico for me because the attacking part of his game but such a difficult decision.

Mel played upfront for Waltheof scoring for fun and it was Big Jack put him at right back the rest is history 

Nilsson was probably the only truly 'world class' player I've ever seen in a Wednesday shirt (Waddle was not at his peak when he played for us and we will never know how good Hirst would have been).

It's all about opinions and I loved Zico but come on.....

waddle got voted footballer of the year while playing for us .....i´d say that was the peak of his career .