Ryan Giggs

A manager has to be a smart cookie. You look at the top managers, they all seem to be that little bit wiser.

That's why I think Stuart Pearce always gets found out.

Is Giggs a smart cookie? He got caught banging his brothers missus!

Spot on another poster mentioned that is why Wenger and Mourinho are such great managers. And conversely, as you point, out why Pearce is crap.

Giggs doesn't seem to have that much about him. If we were going to take a punt on an inexperienced manager I would at least go for someone with intelligence and vision. More Neville than Giggs.

As mentioned tho it's a big risk to take. And I think a mistake we made in the past appointing Francis as manager rather than a top experienced manager to replace Big Ron.

I don't think great players have the patience for man management and coaching players who can't do the things that they did naturally as players, I don't think players who've won a multitude of plaudits/trophies/awards have the hunger and desire to be a top drawer manager, I think that's why the majority of very successful managers had pretty non-descript careers that either ended abruptly because of injury (obviously a different time but Cloughie was a great example there) or ended in the lower reaches of football (Wenger) or just never really got going as a player (Mourinho).

I don't think great players have the patience for man management and coaching players who can't do the things that they did naturally as players, I don't think players who've won a multitude of plaudits/trophies/awards have the hunger and desire to be a top drawer manager, I think that's why the majority of very successful managers had pretty non-descript careers that either ended abruptly because of injury (obviously a different time but Cloughie was a great example there) or ended in the lower reaches of football (Wenger) or just never really got going as a player (Mourinho).

Agree