Hutchinson right wing ?

Guest owl from retford

Why all of a sudden has Gray started playing him on the right wing ? Ok he did alright for proberly the first 20 mins but he has'nt got the pace or legs to get up and down enough. Very strange decision to play him there when he is a defensive midfielder was Lee carrying a knock maybe we should have started Maguire cant understand the dynamics behind that selection ?

Maybe... Just maybe... I know this might be a real jump in courage. Gray (who works tirelessly with the players for hours every day) and meticulously plans the oppsition (which he's countlessly been renouned for)... Thought it might- tactically - make sence? Fudge knows, but let's have some ducking confidence instead of us being a set of fuking clowns, for once?! Please?

As one or two others have rightly said he played as a narrow right sided midfielder in a midfield diamond. A system which is prefect for Semedo at the base and McGugan at the tip as well taking into account our lack of natural wingers.

Gray is utilising the players he’s got available in the best possible system which some can’t seem to see.

Hutchinson did OK the other night and the reason we lost was sloppy defending which we were punished for twice. Over the course of the game we fully deserved a point which the stats vindicate.

Hutchison wasn’t playing as a right winger through.

That may have been the intention but it certainly wasn't how it panned out. McGugan didn't play that far forward until the 2nd half- after Hutchinson had moved due to Semedo's injury and Maghoma and Hutchinson were too wide for it to be an effective diamond. Hutchinson may have 'done a job' in that position first half but he offered very little and we were much improved in the second half after he had reverted to a central position and Maguire offered something of an attacking intent.

I am not bashing Gray for the sake of it but to say he was making the best of what he had available against Blackburn is plain wrong. He could have played Hutchinson, Semedo and McGugan as a midfield 3 for example of gone with Maguire or Helan in a wide midfield role 

Maybe... Just maybe... I know this might be a real jump in courage. Gray (who works tirelessly with the players for hours every day) and meticulously plans the oppsition (which he's countlessly been renouned for)... Thought it might- tactically - make sense? Fudge knows, but let's have some ducking confidence instead of us being a set of fuking clowns, for once?! Please?

He was wrong.

We are not going down and we are not going up. The home fans have had to suffer some turgid stuff this season, why not let the shackles off a bit now and concentrate more on what we can do rather than putting stopping the opposition first, that was always Irvine's first thought and it was pretty dull.

That may have been the intention but it certainly wasn't how it panned out. McGugan didn't play that far forward until the 2nd half- after Hutchinson had moved due to Semedo's injury and Maghoma and Hutchinson were too wide for it to be an effective diamond. Hutchinson may have 'done a job' in that position first half but he offered very little and we were much improved in the second half after he had reverted to a central position and Maguire offered something of an attacking intent.

I am not bashing Gray for the sake of it but to say he was making the best of what he had available against Blackburn is plain wrong. He could have played Hutchinson, Semedo and McGugan as a midfield 3 for example of gone with Maguire or Helan in a wide midfield role 

Play a middle 3 and then 1 wide? How does that work? For a start whichever side is left unoccupied you’re going to be vulnerable and outnumbered.

We were better 2nd half for a number of reasons, Maguire and Helans impact mainly but it was little to do with a change of formation. How many people were calling for either players start pre game after team/formation that beat Middlesbrough?

You can always nit-pick at a manger but Gray has utilised his resources well all season and on Wednesday night.

Play a middle 3 and then 1 wide? How does that work? For a start whichever side is left unoccupied you’re going to be vulnerable and outnumbered.

We were better 2nd half for a number of reasons, Maguire and Helans impact mainly but it was little to do with a change of formation. How many people were calling for either players start pre game after team/formation that beat Middlesbrough?

You can always nit-pick at a manger but Gray has utilised his resources well all season and on Wednesday night.

Did I say play 1 wide? Plenty of teams play with a midfield 3 which varies between playing 3 up top or 1 with 2 wide. I also stated he could have stuck with the 4-4-2 but actually played someone used to playing the wide role instead of Hutchinson. 

You are right ad have also made my point, we improved due to the introduction of Maguire - which came about due to Hutchinson being played more centrally due to Semedo's injury. It was pointless playing him in the position he started and we did next to nothing going foward whilst he was there.

Lee was clearly more effective in that position against Middlesbrough than Hutchinson was against Blackburn, Why choose Hutchinson to play there ahead of Maguire if Lee was not fit enough to start?

If you thought the first half on Wednesday was the best use of the resources we had available then you are easily pleased.

yeah but hes dead good and Semedo wont get a kick now weve buyed him and we will score more goals with hutch, and well concede less.... replacement for JT tha knows!!

I notice the big talk now is to play him at CB!  .......hopefully Melo will settle in so we have multi-choice for DCM cos lets be honest, Hutch aint cutting it this season....

couple of times on ere ive pointed out the fact that when he plays - WE DONT WIN!

they are not popular posts either, but just look at George's stats! nowt else needs to be said....

the diamond formation naturally leaves space out wide, and the wider of the 4 midfielders will go into that space from time to time so I can see why some may get confused about formations.

but just look at how all bar the holding mid have more of a free reign to move and pick the ball up and push on. 

That's the theory, but it's just going to take time to adjust to it fully... and the sad likelihood is that could happen at the end of the season when we'll be ready to change ideas again

Did I say play 1 wide? Plenty of teams play with a midfield 3 which varies between playing 3 up top or 1 with 2 wide. I also stated he could have stuck with the 4-4-2 but actually played someone used to playing the wide role instead of Hutchinson. 

You are right ad have also made my point, we improved due to the introduction of Maguire - which came about due to Hutchinson being played more centrally due to Semedo's injury. It was pointless playing him in the position he started and we did next to nothing going foward whilst he was there.

Lee was clearly more effective in that position against Middlesbrough than Hutchinson was against Blackburn, Why choose Hutchinson to play there ahead of Maguire if Lee was not fit enough to start?

If you thought the first half on Wednesday was the best use of the resources we had available then you are easily pleased.[/quote

Yes, yes you did and I quote "in a wide midfield role". Playing 3 central and 1 wide as you stated is completely disjointed.

Bottom line is, Gray played EXACTLY the same team and formation that beat top of the league 2-0 as the other night with the exception of Hutch for Lee. If you think that one difference is suddenly reason to lambast Gray you're clearly wrong. With the players available Gray is playing the best system. You keep saying play 3 in midfield with 1 up and 2 either side so after the Middlesborough that would have meant dropping Keane or Nuhiu? Seriously?

I'll say again our defeat the other night was down to 2 pieces of sloppy defending, the system was not the issue as the match stats prove.