Our approach in home games

OK, as I'm not now going to home games, I haven't been since the Wolves game, I don't feel I can comment on the current situation. The reason I stopped going to home games is that I find them totally boring and I really couldn't see things improving.

Have things improved, or is it more of the same? I do still go to away games and I've noticed a few changes about the way we approach away games. To be fair, there wasn't much wrong with our performances on the road, but even there, our standards have slipped. Reading and Ipswich were so lacklustre. Are we still making progress? People who go to every home game, are we improving on our early season home performances?

OK, as I'm not now going to home games, I haven't been since the Wolves game, I don't feel I can comment on the current situation. The reason I stopped going to home games is that I find them totally boring and I really couldn't see things improving.

Have things improved, or is it more of the same? I do still go to away games and I've noticed a few changes about the way we approach away games. To be fair, there wasn't much wrong with our performances on the road, but even there, our standards have slipped. Reading and Ipswich were so lacklustre. Are we still making progress? People who go to every home game, are we improving on our early season home performances?

We were fantastic against Boro. Played with so much more freedom.

Was hoping that it would carry on into yesterday but we did lose Semedo after 30 (and I think he's crucial to us) and the ref never let the game flow.

So in answer to your question. I dunno.

the Middlesbrough game was the 1st home game since the first few months of the season where we had a very high work rate,allowing the opposition little time on the ball & looked confident going forward/playing at hillsborough.

it didn't last long lol

Edited by richowl

the Middlesbrough game was the 1st home game since the first few months of the season where we had a very high work rate,allowing the opposition little time on the ball & looked confident going forward/playing at hillsborough.

it didn't last long lol

Actually that's a major factor for me, in our attempts to create more, we've lost the solidity we had. Our early season game was all about high work rate and pressing as a team. We defended and attacked as a one Edited by gurujuan

Some of the games this season have been like watching paint dry.

The 1st half against Middlesbrough last week (despite going on to win it), was dire, but last night was 10 times worse.

I can cope with poor football, poor decisions and poor finishing (it comes with territory for a Wednesday supporter).

What bothers me is the poor work-rate, the slow tempo and the negative tactics. Sam Hutchinson on the right wing anyone?

If Gray is here next season, I don't really care either way - we need change our style and mentality big time, hopefully more funds and a better pitch will allow that.

So in answer to your question - it's just as bad!

The 1st half against Middlesbrough last week (despite going on to win it), was dire, but last night was 10 times worse.

I can cope with poor football, poor decisions and poor finishing (it comes with territory for a Wednesday supporter).

What bothers me is the poor work-rate, the slow tempo and the negative tactics. Sam Hutchinson on the right wing anyone?

If Gray is here next season, I don't really care either way - we need change our style and mentality big time, hopefully more funds and a better pitch will allow that.

That's the thing, earlier in the season, there was something to build on. I didn't mind the home draws, we had a system and a way of playing, now I'm not so sure we do

Our approach is the same home & away. Sit back and be solid and hope they leave gaps.

Away from home this works as this impetus is on the home side to go and get a result. We've been solid and picked teams off when chances come.

At home we set up the same. However the crowd doesn't respond to it well and sides away from home creating chances can smell blood. it's awful to watch, next to 0 clear cut chances are created.

We for me need a change of manager. He has done well (in terms of league position) however I just don't find the home form acceptable, if you want to do anything in this league your home form has got to be spot on and this season I have never ever been as bored and not looked forward to going as much in my life and feel I have wasted a lot of money on a season ticket for our manager to be happy drawing every week.

As a fan I go hoping Wedneaday go out to beat the other side and I don't get that impression. I want to be entertained as a customer and especially at home I want us to be on the front foot and if we lose them fair enough but I won't accept settling for the draw.

What I was saying all night

They didn't look bothered, 85 mins 1-2 down and still incredibly slow out of the traps and lethargic 

How you lot put up with that every home game, I'd burst a blood vessel. My voice is gone from last night

Our approach is the same home & away. Sit back and be solid and hope they leave gaps.

Away from home this works as this impetus is on the home side to go and get a result. We've been solid and picked teams off when chances come.

At home we set up the same. However the crowd doesn't respond to it well and sides away from home creating chances can smell blood. it's awful to watch, next to 0 clear cut chances are created.

We for me need a change of manager. He has done well (in terms of league position) however I just don't find the home form acceptable, if you want to do anything in this league your home form has got to be spot on and this season I have never ever been as bored and not looked forward to going as much in my life and feel I have wasted a lot of money on a season ticket for our manager to be happy drawing every week.

As a fan I go hoping Wedneaday go out to beat the other side and I don't get that impression. I want to be entertained as a customer and especially at home I want us to be on the front foot and if we lose them fair enough but I won't accept settling for the draw.

I think it's what we used to do, but now, especially at home, we seem to get caught between two stools. In an effort to go on the offensive, we push forward tentatively, without any real conviction, and we get picked off. I'm not sure we should have made those changes, we don't have the quality in attacking areas. Would rather have had us continue our high intensity game, where we at least looked a more solid unit. At least there was something to build on Edited by gurujuan

I think it's what we used to do, but now, especially at home, we seem to get caught between two stools. In an effort to go on the offensive, we push forward tentatively, without any real conviction, and we get picked off. I'm not sure we should have made those changes, we don't have the quality in attacking areas. Would rather have had us continue our high intensity game, where we at least looked a more solid unit. At least there was something to build on

This.

The reality is, we don't have enough quality to do anything other than grind results out. Which obviously suits an away side more than home side where the onus is on them to attack, create and break teams down.

Until we add the quality we need, our best chance comes from Gray's set up in the first few months of the season.

That's 442 with May and Nuhiu defending from the front. 2 compact wingers in Maguire and Maghoma. Semedo in the midfield with 1 ball player, either Lee or McGugan. Then the usual back 5.

Since the turn of the year we've had Baker, Keane, Vermijl thrown straight in. Lee on the wing. Hutch on the wing. A change at left back virtually every week. It's the one thing that really annoys me about Gray. Too much flipping about and tinkering. He never had the chance in the first half of the season and we looked a lot better.

First 15 mins last night we played well but then they scored two goals and goals inevitably change the game and we were all over the place for the rest of the first half.

Second half we did ok , attacked for most of it but they had something to hang onto.

We have too many players without brains.

Dielna Maghoma Helan Maguire just make too many bad decisions and that is before they try and actually execute anything

It just kills any momentum the team has

Edited by oldishowl

We look better after we've taken a two goal lead and the game has opened up. Something we've only seen once at home all season!

Otherwise, nope, we're pretty much the same in every game. Dull, unimaginative, but pretty solid.

Loovens' injury and Magugan n Keane coming in have changed it a bit; but the pitch is keeping us focused on never letting the ball settle on the ground, just as we started the season.

Our approach seems to be keep it as tight as possible and hope for a goal out of nothing.

The defence always seems to be 10 yards too deep for me giving our central midfielders too much ground to cover, would never fault Semedo

defensively and we are never going to concede many with this system but we are never going to score many either.

We either lump it long to the strikers or hope the wide men can beat 3 defenders. You very rarely see a defence splitting pass for a striker to run on to because the central midfield is too deep as well. I think Stevie May would score a hatful in a better side with his intelligent runs but we are either too slow or too far away from him to pick him out. 

Its been a steady season all in all better away from home but feel at home we are a bit lethargic with not much urgency to our play unless we go behind.  

I can cope with poor football, poor decisions and poor finishing (it comes with territory for a Wednesday supporter).

If Gray is here next season, I don't really care either way - we need change our style and mentality big time, hopefully more funds and a better pitch will allow that.

As for next season - a lot will depend on who Gray has at his disposal and who he can bring in.

Wickham was a classic example of what can be done with the right player here but he is just way out of our wage structure so it's acedemic anyway

He will need to build in some consistency though and take a few risks, something go he hasnt really achieved this season despite our relatively healthy league position.

Time will also be against him. After DC announcements about the pitch and scoreboard, he clearly means business and will be in a hurry I think. Gray will be under pressure from day 1 providing he stays the course this term.

Personally, I think we're treading water at the moment. Mid table beckons, & DC, PA & SG need to get their heads together the minute Leeds flip off back up the M1.

Can't remember a worse home campaign, or lack of goals either. To say we're Jekyll & Hyde is a big understatement. Ironically, now we're scoring, the defence seems weaker! Get to safety first, then tell 'em they're playing for their futures, 'cos I can't see Mr C carrying any deadwood. The future's bright, but only if we recruit well.