Good Kop, bad Kop.

Guest Iron Hunter

Guest Iron Hunter

Just reading about season ticket thread for next season prices reminded me why I pay that a bit extra to go on the North.The Kop from the mid 80s to the year it was all seated was definately the place to be.As many as 18,000 behind one net is an experience hard to imagine.Ending up 20yards away from where you originally stood after an Owls goal to that end or picking yourself up from the floor was part of the magic.Sadly, since it was all seated, ive probably been back on it 4 or 5 times.Will never be the same in my eyes or maybe its just an age thing.

Guest Iron Hunter

Not necessarily the band.Maybe just the lack of atmosphere in general due to the decline of the football.Making it all seater would have still made me move, no matter which league we were in.I think people who experienced it know what I'm getting at.

Thought the atmosphere on the Kop on Saturday was decent to be fair

Had a season ticket on there for years , unfortunately job dictates that I can't get as regular these days but if things were different I would happily go back on the Kop

But i side with the majority on the band issue , get rid of them

Edited by S6owl_1867

One of the best atmospheres at Hillsborough I have ever experienced was a bit strange.    The kop had been seated for a few years, and Wednereday had the leppings lane end lower for season ticket holders - the opponents were Arsenal and they had the ginger ex derby striker up front, I forget his name.

Why was this one of the best atmospheres?  I will never know - maybe it  was to do with the distribution of fans, or something else  - all I am saying is we don't use our ground to the best potential.

My dad remembers before season tickets were even thought of, he used to stand at one end for the first half, and walk round and stand at the oppois site end for the second half.   I have heard him say this more than once and I find it incredible to the point I have asked him if he is remembering it correctly, he insists he did it even though you weren't supposed to and it took a bit of circumnavigation of the authorities.    He insists the atmosphere has not been the same since the 60's, and I only started going right at the beginning of the 90's.

I remember changing ends for every match at Hillsborough, sorry, Owlerton. The North Stand was behind a terrace & was entered by steps from the Terrace for an extra fee. there was a space behind the stand & you could walk easily to the Leppings Lane end.

Another thing I remember was the score board on the roof with United's score was always in the "A" slot. everybody knew when the old guy walked up the steps during the match, the score would change, hopefully for United to be losing.

Atmosphere was good on sat, when we are playing well and the crowd gets going the band is an asset and divisions seem to be forgot(e.g the 'ultras' singing " we'll sing on our own" at the start of game) (quite appropriate as they were 15 of em) they also get other areas singing etc that normally wouldn't e.g. South stand/north stand kop side and generally young Kids and families seem to join in singing and cheering which without the band they probably wouldn't

One of the best atmospheres at Hillsborough I have ever experienced was a bit strange.    The kop had been seated for a few years, and Wednereday had the leppings lane end lower for season ticket holders - the opponents were Arsenal and they had the ginger ex derby striker up front, I forget his name.

Why was this one of the best atmospheres?  I will never know - maybe it  was to do with the distribution of fans, or something else  - all I am saying is we don't use our ground to the best potential.

My dad remembers before season tickets were even thought of, he used to stand at one end for the first half, and walk round and stand at the oppois site end for the second half.   I have heard him say this more than once and I find it incredible to the point I have asked him if he is remembering it correctly, he insists he did it even though you weren't supposed to and it took a bit of circumnavigation of the authorities.    He insists the atmosphere has not been the same since the 60's, and I only started going right at the beginning of the 90's.

Was that Atkinson's return game perhaps? Would explain the changed atmosphere.

Hopefully a proper, organised singing section will be introduced onto the Kop & it can start the slow process of looking like it once did.

£20 says this thread turns into an argument about the band though.

I hate the band

you just did...

you won't turn the kop without standing...

i doubt standing will ever be allowed at hillsborough again...

Atmosphere was good on sat, when we are playing well and the crowd gets going the band is an asset and divisions seem to be forgot(e.g the 'ultras' singing " we'll sing on our own" at the start of game) (quite appropriate as they were 15 of em) they also get other areas singing etc that normally wouldn't e.g. South stand/north stand kop side and generally young Kids and families seem to join in singing and cheering which without the band they probably wouldn't

with good investment of capital on the team in the future we're likely to go through a period of better performances and results...

this will generate bigger more noisy crowds, IF the investment provides better results then the noise made will be positive, and any booing and catcalls with be for opponents (including ref's and linesmen)...

though the kop will have more in, and thus more noise, i very much doubt that you'll drag the n/w guys back, unless they're chucked out of that stand...

Was that Atkinson's return game perhaps? Would explain the changed atmosphere.

Honestly cannot remember.    I was fairly young and had a season ticket for two seasons on the leppings lane lower - I think the only 2 seasons they did this for, but I cannot remember what year.   

Guest Herbert Shoebanger

That Atkinson return game was one of the most hostile atmospheres I've ever seen at hillsborough