SWFC end of year accounts

Don't know how MM can be annoyed or surprised at the drop in attendances 

Probably because at £11.24 your spend per fan is still in the bottom of half of clubs in the Championship. On top of the fact, as he states, that despite holding the early bird season ticket prices for the third year running your attendances dropped by 12%.

Quite were your new owner is going to grow your revenue from is puzzling. Judging by these figures,  match day and season ticket prices better not increase much or you'll be playing in front of sub 20k crowds for the foreseeable future.

Take out the TV and media revenue and your left with a turnover of less than £10m and yet people still want cheaper tickets.

Plenty of posters talking about the new owners buying the club because of it's potential and size, well I hope he's not relying on fans of SWFC to put their hands their pockets to fund it.

Guest totemowl

Probably because at £11.24 your spend per fan is still in the bottom of half of clubs in the Championship. On top of the fact, as he states, that despite holding the early bird season ticket prices for the third year running your attendances dropped by 12%.

Quite were your new owner is going to grow your revenue from is puzzling. Judging by these figures, match day and season ticket prices better not increase much or you'll be playing in front of sub 20k crowds for the foreseeable future.

Take out the TV and media revenue and your left with a turnover of less than £10m and yet people still want cheaper tickets.

Plenty of posters talking about the new owners buying the club because of it's potential and size, well I hope he's not relying on fans of SWFC to put their hands their pockets to fund it.

Are you worrying about our financial state cos it's too hurtful thinking about w**ds? I mean £23m losses, 3m drop in turnover and a transfer embargo must be reight worrying for a team who have been flirting with relegation for most of the season.

Quite were your new owner is going to grow your revenue from is puzzling. Judging by these figures,  match day and season ticket prices better not increase much or you'll be playing in front of sub 20k crowds for the foreseeable future.

Still looking forward to that top 6 finish this season? 

Can't argue with a lot of that - unfortunately the Wednesday fan is generally good at bemoaning how much others should spend whilst keeping their wallet firmly in their pocket

Just Visiting,

I would expect growth in revenue to begin next season.

A more consistent side would no doubt put bums back on seats so that we average 23-24K.

You know as well as us that we have been in a holding situation for the last 15 years or so - the commercial side has been not been as much of a priority as putting the club on a stable footing.

You and we know that its nothing  that a Thai international 'marquee' signing and a promotion / access to TV money can't sort out....

The debt against the club will be £30million probably plus fees. So maybe £33-34 million.

The creditors will be the consortium that bought the club. They will park the cost of the purchase as a debt against the club. They will take management fees from the revenue of the club.

This is how under mm ownership the debt mounted. The mngtmnt fees taken by his family trust would have been part of running costs as would mm's own fees hence the book losses each year.

See the boardroom and the 6m loss thread to see an explanation of how it could have all played out. Standard practice. Nothing dodgy or unusual. Dont get confused between cash and debt etc.

So, are you saying that the loses that MM bemoaned could be partially attributed to a management fee that he paid himself?

The club is doing next to nothing to increase spend per fan - if you go to a match on the Kop or North apart from the ticket and meagre catering stuck in the 1970s there is nothing to spend money on. If there were bars, restaurants, concessions, merchandise stalls etc etc - anything to improve/expand the match-day experience - then revenues would increase.

Of course, you need to invest to achieve this, which Milan wasn't willing to do because he was in it for the short-term (and that's not a criticism).

Also an exciting winning team helps  

For the same reasons that Caterham and Marussia struggled to attract sponsorship, was that only a fool would believe that they would be fighting each other to see who didn't come last in a formula one race.

Why no sponsorship? because neither of those cars has a chance of being competitive.

Maybe now we can "put a decent competitive car" on the grid, the sponsors might be more interested.

MK, can you explain the classification of the £5.1m loans (Terry Brown etc) as 'accruals' for me?

I am struggling with this accounts wise. Accruals are basically costs that relate to an accounting year but for which no invoice had been received by the year end date.

At the simplest level this could be that you only get a utility bill every 3 months and the last one received was 2 months before the year end. You therefore accrue for 2 months enery use

Equally our fee to do the accounts is accrued because whilst it relates to the year we can't start work until the year is up

As the business gets more complicated you could accrue for holiday pay, bonuses, all sorts of tax avoidance legitimate provisions

A loan is not a cost (the loan interest is of course and you would accrue for that) in my view it is a method of funding. Generally loans, like the bank overdraft or monies from UKFI are disclosed as that.

The fact it is disclosed makes it less of an issue that it is an accruals and its not that major in the scheme of things but lets just say I wouldn't want to explain to my Annual Compliance Review lady (Scary Caryl) why I thought that was the right thing to do, but accountancy is all about judgements so who is to say I am right

Edited by mkowl

Can't wait for Monday but my guess is little will be revealed and the situation will run on into the summer months with PA holding the fort for a little time longer.

As for the future it's a very broad spectrum of possibilities...

At the one end of the scale Take over debt financed, management charges to the consortium and hoping to roll 'snake eyes' twice running.

In the Middle equity financed steady building with the aim of the promised land in 3 to 4 years.

Then there's mega debt financing, land acquisitions, a complete redevelopment of the ground and area with a grand social input similar to Etihad, and employment !

What's your hope ? lol