Wednesday offered £3 million

Guest Bournemouth Owl

We also offered Man United 3 million for Beckham, Who probably couldn't stop laughing when they put the phone down.....

I seem to remember that was after he'd seen him play against us in a reserve match and at the time Beckham had yet to make his debut for Man-Ure so £3M was a MASSIVE sum of money at the time for an unknown with no first team experience (or at least very little as don't know it it was before or after he'd been on loan to Preston was it?)

Think we had Jaap Stam on trial as well but wasn't deemed good enough, add to that not matching Shearer bid, refusing to pay 3 million for a Man Utd reserve in Beckham and also refusing Roy Keane a trial as we just signed Chris Bart-Williams.

Could have has a decent team lol

We didn't refuse to pay that for beckham - it was rejected. I wondered what pleat was on at the time.

I recall Richie Barker saying that the bid for Deane was linked to Blackburns bid for Warhurst. Big Brian refused to come so Warhurst ended up with a new contract instead. Trouble is, defenders had worked him out so Tricky shipped him anyway and brought in Andy Sinton (his love child) from QPR. Fergie fancied Hirst and that deal could have funded a Shearer deal. I would identify these errors, along with Cantona as the start of our decline. In other words, Tricky Trev blew it. Sad but true.

I recall Richie Barker saying that the bid for Deane was linked to Blackburns bid for Warhurst. Big Brian refused to come so Warhurst ended up with a new contract instead. Trouble is, defenders had worked him out so Tricky shipped him anyway and brought in Andy Sinton (his love child) from QPR. Fergie fancied Hirst and that deal could have funded a Shearer deal. I would identify these errors, along with Cantona as the start of our decline. In other words, Tricky Trev blew it. Sad but true.

I think the glaring mistake out of that lot was the Cantona debacle. Shame Deane didnt join us. Hirst and Deane up top with Cantona sat behind them would have been some strike force....

i think Deane would have been a very handy acquisition for us regardless of him playing for the grunts - lets not have that fact cloud our judgement as it normally does on here

i can also remember hearing about the Jaap Stam trial or something, but he was what, about 19 at the time? was it Big Ron that turned him down? not sure

i also heard we were offered Marcelo Salas for £1m but he was unproven or something so we turned that down too

we also placed bids for shearer and a certain David Beckham , just before he scored his wonder goal from the halfway line for man united, when i think he was about 19

i was truly in the know back then  :rolleyes:

Edited by owlse