Sign in to follow this  
duediligence

Ian Knight

Just been reading about him in another thread, my dad used to go on about how good he was. Wasn't he very young when his career was cut short?

I am just interested to know what made him stand out, why was he so good?

Thank you.

• Agree 1

He would've gone on to captain England imo, composed player.

We said that about Mark Beevers though, not comparing because I never saw Knight play. Must have Been more to the story!

Edited by duediligence

Memory plays tricks but no way was beevers in the same league as knight

Just been reading about him in another thread, my dad used to go on about how good he was. Wasn't he very young when his career was cut short?

I am just interested to know what made him stand out, why was he so good?

Thank you.

Looked a very good prospect, calm on the ball good in the air etc , but we were in the third division at that time so who knows how he would have progressed . 

I was sat in the South that night when that C_unt Bennet did him.  

Looked a very good prospect, calm on the ball good in the air etc , but we were in the third division at that time so who knows how he would have progressed .

I was sat in the South that night when that C_unt Bennet did him.

We weren't in the third, your memories shocking

I was too young to notice how good a player he was but remember seeing Bennett break his leg with the bone sticking out.

Got my picture in the star when they were lifting him into the ambulance behind the south stand too.

My dad always raved about how good he was and was gutted when his career was cut short like that.

You just know when you've got a top player on yer hands, he was one of em.

We were in the first division when he played. First game I saw him play was Villa at home pretty sure he nut megged Andy Gray. He looked class had the lot tall, bit of pace, athletic, good on the ball. Different league to Beevers. Thought I was watching a future England player a bit like when I first saw Hirsty.

• Agree 2

His centre back partner in the England team (I can't remember if it was U18) was Arsenal's Tony Adams

Some experts believed Knight was the better prospect.

We were in the first division when he played. First game I saw him play was Villa at home pretty sure he nut megged Andy Gray. He looked class had the lot tall, bit of pace, athletic, good on the ball. Different league to Beevers. Thought I was watching a future England player a bit like when I first saw Hirsty.

This^^^ a real prospect in the Hirst bracket, not the Beevers, Humphries,Briscoe bracket.

• Agree 1

He would've gone on to captain England imo, composed player.

Totally agree, Was it Bennett who played for Chester who did him in the league cup game, it was a shocking thing to see.

Totally agree, Was it Bennett who played for Chester who did him in the league cup game, it was a shocking thing to see.

FA Cup replay 1987.

Absolutely criminal challenge. Can still see that image of his bone poking against his sock.

He would have gone on to great things, no doubt about it.

UTO :biggrin:

• Agree 1

His centre back partner in the England team (I can't remember if it was U18) was Arsenal's Tony Adams

Some experts believed Knight was the better prospect.

Tony Adams was his centre back partner, although I thought they had played at U21 level.

He had just given an outstanding performance in a 1-1 draw at Liverpool Iin the 1st Divsion (now renamed Premier League)

Desperate loss to SWFC.

• Agree 1

Top player for his age. Would've definately gone on to be one of the great centre backs. Could read a game perfectly!!!!

I met him a few years later when he was Fooball In the community officer at Grimsby Town.

He sorted out a free day out for the kids team I played for and got the chance to play a six a side on the pitch at half time.

Nice bloke from what I remember. It was a great shame that his career was cut so short. My dad used to rave on about how good he was.

he used to work at Wednesday in the mid 90's. football in the community I think.

I can remember him organising one of my birthday parties at the ground.