On this day in 1958 - Wednesday at Old Trafford

Anyone remember this ?  Or even old enought to have attended the match?  FA Cup 5th round & 1st Manchester United match post the Munich air disaster and one I imagine the whole football world apart from Wednesday fans were willing for them to win.  From the footage we sufferred from some dodgy keeping and profligacy in front of goal.  At least we've got a decent keeper these days!

Fantastic quality Pathe News Clip :

Pre match press coverage

17-feb-m-e-n-new-united_zpsneytiydd.jpg

Black bordered programme & empty Manchester Utd. team sheet

Post%20Munich%20Prog_zps3sz7pzvd.jpg

8326557820_8798d69734_b_zpsdctlyzbn.jpg

Albert Quixall, Bill Foulkes and Brian Clifford!

1958_zpsckiztohi.jpg

imagesmu_zpss6ttsenr.jpg

PA-1997356_zps5kcxy9nn.jpg

6ca9e1c004dfcbfc19e6c001e0ce31dded83f397

Post match Press coverage

Newspaper%201958_zpsigsktdzx.jpg

Yes I remember the massive build up in the papers before the game and it was definitely a match we daren't win. I was 10 at the time and thought this just isn't fair.

The 2-7 a few years later was some redress and in fact I remember some other good results against them round that time (5-1?). They weren't a team we feared playing but then nobody was in those days

My dad was there....talked about it many times. Even though he greatly admired many of those that perished, paticularly Duncan Edwards, he never forgave them for what he described as "clogging us off the park". He remained convinced that we threw the game that night. Never one to mince his words, or take off his "blue and white specs" was dad!

Later said "it was thier comeupance" when we hammered 'em 7-2.

Surprisingly good quality that clip.

Edited by lesbarbeux

My first Wednesday hero,our Albert!

When we sold him it was a right kick in the goolies,the first of many still to come. :sad:

catterick was proved right though to sell him.the team went from strength to strength after he left .he just wasnt a catterick type player and 45k was a lot of money back then .

Yes, I was there. I honestly believe that, such was the build-up of emotion prior to the game that Wednesday had no chance and would have been lynched had they gone on to win. It may be unsaid, but for that game, the FA broke every rule in their book, and I believe that only our Albert had the guts to try and win. 

Tragic that so many lost their lives in a totally avoidable tragedy. So sorry not to have seen enough of players like Barnsleys Tommy Taylor and more especially the boy from Dudley, Duncan Edwards. For anyone in the Birmingham area I would recommend a visit to the Church at Dudley where there is a stain glass window in tribute to their own Duncan Edwards.

If ever a player typified 'If you're good enough you're old enough' Duncan Edwards was that man. At just 17 already an England International he was as hard as nails and every great player rolled into one according to my Dad.

As for that game every credible source I have ever spoken to  suggests that Wednesday laid down that day. That's the kind of gentleman Eric Taylor was.

Judging by some posts on the general subject of Man U it is obvious that quite a few of our younger element developed a 'soft spot' for them. Maybe they are not aware of the cynical way in which they sought to grow the club on the back of such a tragedy...One way was the season long TV advertisement on the newly launched Granada Television that pulled in many season ticket holders from the home towns of those players who had lost their lives, like Barnsley and the Black Country.

By the time of our 7-2 slaughter of the Red Devils the rough stuff on the day had been remembered by some of our players and ardent players and fans alike had grown sick of the Manchester United calypso ringing out on Granada. This attitude continued for a while and the games in the 60's were quite heated with us going Nap on a few occaisions, most notably in what for some was the greatest game seen at Hillsborough ( Though for those long departed, they would point you towards an old England v Scotland game) both of which ended 5-4 in our favour (sorry Steve).

To this point we were (almost) Manchester Uniteds equals. Oh how the times have changed !      

Oh no ! 2-3-5 was the way but in reality it was 3-4-3 with your two half backs playing in the hole. Half backs were quality but sliding/jumping tackles were the order of the day. CBFM had a photo of a young Dave Mackay in a rainstorm at White Heart Lane sliding in what looked like a blizzard ( One of my favourite photos as a youngster that)

In the early 60's The Italian game went ultra defensive with 4-4-2 and the game became more centred on breaking down the defence. The Italian results looked like a coconut shy with all those 0-0, 0-0 results one after another. Benfica and Barcelona bucked the trend opting to hunt down Porto and Real with a more adventurous 4-3-3. Real quickly followed suit signing some world famous wingers.

The beginning of the 67/68 season saw us line up with Mobley and Ellis for a 3-2 win at the Bolyn probably our first ever back four in a competitive game. Not certain though !

Who is Brian Clifford? The mascot ?  If so, does he still come to games, he would only be in his sixties now.  And I've always thought it strange that we had a mascot at such a game.  Even under normal circumstances would we have taken a mascot to an away game?  Did we have a mascot at home games in the fifties?

My dad was there....talked about it many times. Even though he greatly admired many of those that perished, paticularly Duncan Edwards, he never forgave them for what he described as "clogging us off the park". He remained convinced that we threw the game that night. Never one to mince his words, or take off his "blue and white specs" was dad!

Later said "it was thier comeupance" when we hammered 'em 7-2.

Surprisingly good quality that clip.

I've heard this many times from many different people, and I believe it.

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

My Dad was there as a Wednesdayite obviously, and he told me the same thing.  He said the Wednesday fans were even cheering United.  Funny enough the guy who was to become my father in law 40 years later was also at the match supporting Man Utd and a few years ago he gave me the programme.  The Man U team sheet was blank but he filled it in....making it fairly worthless apparently.

Edited by Tyto Alba

Oh no ! 2-3-5 was the way but in reality it was 3-4-3 with your two half backs playing in the hole. Half backs were quality but sliding/jumping tackles were the order of the day. CBFM had a photo of a young Dave Mackay in a rainstorm at White Heart Lane sliding in what looked like a blizzard ( One of my favourite photos as a youngster that)

In the early 60's The Italian game went ultra defensive with 4-4-2 and the game became more centred on breaking down the defence. The Italian results looked like a coconut shy with all those 0-0, 0-0 results one after another. Benfica and Barcelona bucked the trend opting to hunt down Porto and Real with a more adventurous 4-3-3. Real quickly followed suit signing some world famous wingers.

The beginning of the 67/68 season saw us line up with Mobley and Ellis for a 3-2 win at the Bolyn probably our first ever back four in a competitive game. Not certain though !

Cheers Nev, interesting to read. How things have changed...