How Do You Solve A Problem Like Dielna?

Guest wilyfox

Us. In recent weeks we seem to be playing the likes of Lee or Maghoma, neither of whom are wingers, as wide midfielders with McGugan pushed slightly forward in the centre.

So we're moving away from the norm and doing a crap job of it?

After watching Zayette's solid performance at centre back against Brighton, I was wondering what role we see Dielna fulfilling from now on?

There's certainly something about him and, if rumours are to be believed, he was being watched by other teams in the January transfer window. I get the feeling we've yet to see the best of Dielna, but the problem is I'm not sure where he fits in to our current team.

For me, he's behind Lees, Loovens and Zayatte for a centre back slot, as he looks too erratic and unpredictable to instil confidence when playing there. It's no coincidence that Lees has looked shaky when paired with Dielna, but returned to his imperious best when played alongside Zayatte at the weekend.

Similarly, he's behind Helan and perhaps Mattock in the race to start as left back. He looks much more assured in the left back position, and at least when he's played there he's able to bring the ball out from the back and put some decent crosses in from the left flank on occasion.

Considering this and the fact that Helan is far more effective when running from deep, I wonder whether it might be worth trying Dielna on the left side of midfield? If played there, we could utilise his crossing, his penchant for 30-yard pile drivers and his defensive abilities to cover for Helan when he overlaps. He'd also offer an additional threat from set pieces and would add a physical presence to the team which has eroded slightly in recent years. He'd be an unorthodox left midfielder, but then our more orthodox wide men are hardly pulling up any trees this season, are they?

Good shout possibly, worth a try untill we get other options.

So,you want to play a CB by trade, that's been playing LB for us, on the LM?....okay then.

Wouldn't mind seeing him in a back 5, if we play 541 vs Derby, with Lees and Zayatte.

I know Maghoma is bad, but I don't think a CB by trade is his right replacement aha.

fine you dont think it would work.

but i for one can totally see where the OP is coming from, and it is a decent option too.

the OP has obviously noticed the wand of a left foot CD possesses, not to mention SGs penchant for graft all over the field, 

but with the added affect that we are utilising Helans best strengths for 90m rather than just the last 20.

Keiren Lee has impressed me at RM but the option of Palmer there so Vemijl can play on the overlap is a decent one too, 

for the record you shouldnt bracket Claude as a simple CB,

its widely known hes comfortable at LB too so its not as daft as simply moving a CB to LW.