Sign a f@ckin striker

Guest Sheff Owl

In our strikers warm up pre match today, or strikers managed to net just 4 times in 46 shots.

But apparently that doesn't matter, it's only to get the feel of the ball and pitch and there isn't a lot Lee Bullen etc can do about it.

Yep. The order of which, for me at least, is...

Winger

Winger

Striker

I know there's a lot of disagreement about which of the two we need, but it's probably both, for me though, the only one that will save Gray's job, is a striker who will shoot the goals that will keep us in the division. Papering over the cracks? Yeah maybe, but given our current form, no one can say with any certainty that we won't go down

Yes, Becchio would offer us more than Varney - and we were in for him. Not convinced we'll get anyone yet, if at all.

Can't see the logic in going for Varney, but not someone like Becchio. Is it a money issue? It would seem odd that the new owners would sanction a reported million pounds on the January signings, but unable to pay what Rotherham paid for Becchio. I get that, some of the January signings are for next season, but we're not exactly safe yet.

Can't see the logic in going for Varney, but not someone like Becchio. Is it a money issue? It would seem odd that the new owners would sanction a reported million pounds on the January signings, but unable to pay what Rotherham paid for Becchio. I get that, some of the January signings are for next season, but we're not exactly safe yet.

The attraction for Varney might have been his versatility, perhaps. We know he can play out wide too, and Gray likes that. Gives him options. But, thankfully that's a no-goer.

Becchio & a winger would suit our needs.

GOT TO GIVE MAGUIRE A CHANCE UPFRONT

We have in the past - it didn't work. If he's to play up there, he'd need to perform like a striker. He tends to drop short or drift wide; so he may as well start out there where we get more out of him. Pointless him roaming around leaving our other forward isolated.

I think the new owners have realised we have no chance of the play-offs so what is the point of spending more money unless we need some more strike power if we sink too near the regulation zone. Basically, SG has the remit now to keep us up despite his bravodo that he is only looking upwards. Lose tonight and Sat and we are definitely dragged into the mire!

Guest uptheowls_wtid

When he does that, I'll shut up. In the meantime, perhaps he needs to practice a little more, cos he's way off the pace

Eat them words Guru! Get in there Stevie! Edited by uptheowls_wtid

The attraction for Varney might have been his versatility, perhaps. We know he can play out wide too, and Gray likes that. Gives him options. But, thankfully that's a no-goer.

Becchio & a winger would suit our needs.

Apart from your fevered imagination Guru,  When were in for Varney?  I've neither seen nor heard owt about it apart from yours and Wily's posts.

Apart from your fevered imagination Guru,  When were in for Varney?  I've neither seen nor heard owt about it apart from yours and Wily's posts.

Dunno what's happened with that one Who's he playing for now?

By Gray's own admission, Varney was a player in his thoughts. We were also repeatedly linked in the media.

Looks like Wood is joining Ipswich now. That'll be, Wood, Murphy, McGoldrick, Hunt, Sears and Varney. Plenty of options there then. Decent competition for places, that's the way to do it

Wood and Murphy an impressive pairing, certainly. The goals have dried up for McGoldrick in recent months. He's injured anyway, and so is Hunt. Sears is useful and looks to have gotten himself back on track at Colchester, but Varney is past it.