Sign a f@ckin striker

Guru is so right in my view about the real risk of only having FOUR INEXPERIENCED STRIKERS.

No Championship manager who wants to keep his job would go with that.

There is respect for Gray in what he achieved on a minimal budget under MM but the transfer window was very disappointing.

The priority had to be to get a player in who has scored goals regularly at Championship level or above.

But the January window was almost all under Milan's reign/budget anyway? Bar The deadline day signings, the new owners haven't had time to fund transfers yet.

I disagree.  I do not think MM would have signed anything like 6 loan/short term/permanent deals.

Gray had a key overriding priority which was to bring in a striker who has scored goals at Championship level or above.

Gray failed and I suspect he will soon be on the dole queue as a result.

I disagree. I do not think MM would have signed anything like 6 loan/short term/permanent deals.

That means you do agree - gray spent most of the window operating under an owner who wasn't going to sanction any more deals, hence the lack of action.

It's only the new owner coming in at the end, that's meant we can sign anybody.

I strongly disagree that the manager should take the blame for not being able to bring in the players he wanted.

Gray would clearly have been aware of the likelihood of the takeover.

Gray said himself that it was this situation that enabled him to bring in the Baker and Keane loans.

The problem is that these were not the options we needed.

Anyone who has watched the games since the start of the season knows that we were crying out for an experienced striker who has scored goals at this level or above.

That means you do agree - gray spent most of the window operating under an owner who wasn't going to sanction any more deals, hence the lack of action.

It's only the new owner coming in at the end, that's meant we can sign anybody.

I strongly disagree that the manager should take the blame for not being able to bring in the players he wanted.

My problem with this is, and I think it will be how the new owners view it, they will not want to go into the summer not knowing whether Gray is the man for the job. If this carries on, and there's nothing to indicate that things will change anytime soon, how could we confidently say Gray will get it right next year? We might hope that he can, given further resources, but I think the new owners will need more than that. At the moment we cannot see what the managers vision is. If he had managed to bring in a few players on loan that would point the way forward, then we might well have seen signs of what he's trying to do. For whatever reasons, he hasn't helped himself, and I'm actually starting to fear for his job.

I say fear for his job, because I don't want him to go. I like what he's done for us so far, but the situation has changed now and a lower mid table place, won't be enough to keep him in the job. It's not too late, but he needs to act quickly, if he wants to be the man to lead Wednesday forward

Guest uptheowls_wtid

I Agree with you.... but, we are as mid table as mid table can be, our defence/keeper will make sure were not involved in any relegation, but if we get who you want we still aint going up this year and the player will still have to go back!

so on the basis that we will be a champ club next yr no matter who plays up top last 15 games, it surely makes sense to answer all the unanswered questions about our own players before the summer transfer window....

maybe people are correct about may being crap, maybe people are correct about May being Brilliant? lets find out ffs, not just May, all of em..

my last post was my first in this thread so i was directly answering your thread title tbh. ''sign a f***in striker''

and in fairness, as i pointed out, we did, sign the top scorer in his league, at an age where IF he comes off, could be better than ALL THESE NAMES on your list... he might not be too. but thats the excitement init? finding out? cant find out if he not playing tho!

i got a feeling one of bus/may/lavery will be a big hit player, not sure which one, they all have bags of potential and could all do well, but if just one of these 3 become HOT PROPERTY over the coming years... well thats gonna be great for us....

unless we only find out when we move them on without GIVING THEM A REAL CHANCE,

because wood/yakubu/billyblunt who ever else wastes a shirt for his own use for 3 months.

sorry but not the way to go IMO.

Guest wilyfox

Gray would clearly have been aware of the likelihood of the takeover.

Gray said himself that it was this situation that enabled him to bring in the Baker and Keane loans.

The problem is that these were not the options we needed.

Anyone who has watched the games since the start of the season knows that we were crying out for an experienced striker who has scored goals at this level or above.

I agree with this ^^

Hopefully, in time Gray's January buys will turn into good business. However, they don't satisfy our current needs. Long term planning is great, but you also need enough quality for the here and now as well. 23 goals in 31 games proves we don't.

What about Rickie Lambert on loan? Nearly joined villa on deadline day apparently.

Beyond us I would have thought It's one thing moving to a Premier League club, but we are probably a step too far. With Liverpool still challenging on several fronts, I wonder if a loan to Villa was seriously on. Hey though, if you don't ask, you don't get

Guest uptheowls_wtid

Finally GY-owl.4, someone talking sense on this forum. What's the point in loaning some half arsed or needing match fitness striker when there's only 15 games to play. There's no way we're getting promoted this year so no point wasting money.

Lets wait until the summer and sign a quality, experienced striker and who knows, one or two of the current strikers we have May thrive playing alongside experience (see what I did there?) ;)

In the meantime, lets stick with the strikers we currently have and get a few pacy wingers to try and compliment them, theyll come good soon I'm sure. I also agree that Lavery is a hot prospect so lets give him a chance when he returns. Maguire should also be given a try upfront in his strongest position and not the wing where he's ineffective. He's excellent at set pieces but can't cross a ball??? He also loses the ball cheaply. There's loads of options upfront, we just need to find the right one.

One thing is for sure though, we need some wingers to create more clear cut chances and add a bit of excitement to the dross football we're currently being subject to! A balanced side would also be nice Gray.

Edited by uptheowls_wtid

Guest wilyfox

Lambert? No chance. He should have gone to Villa. Stopping at Anfield effectively ends his season. He's too old to be wasting his time on their bench. I understand Liverpool was his boyhood club, but that was still a bad move for him.

the shortsightedness in this thread is unreal

The new owners will want to see us pushing on next season and waiting for young strikers to come good could seriously undermine any promotion push

who said owt about any of them playing/being tried next season? .. read the post.

thats the whole point of using them this season and not a loan! to help us learn about them BEFORE next season. 

the mind boggles!

nahh foooook it i agree with these lot now.... LETS GET LAMBERT OR WOOD, cost a shed loads o coin but least we will finish 10th instead of 16th, then when he goes back/moves to another club well just start again from scratch....

then next season we can see if our lads have improved during their time sat on a bench for 3 months!  

the early bird catches the worm.

who said owt about any of them playing/being tried next season? .. read the post.

thats the whole point of using them this season and not a loan! to help us learn about them BEFORE next season. 

the mind boggles!

nahh foooook it i agree with these lot now.... LETS GET LAMBERT OR WOOD, cost a shed loads o coin but least we will finish 10th instead of 16th, then when he goes back/moves to another club well just start again from scratch....

then next season we can see if our lads have improved during their time sat on a bench for 3 months!  

But we might have a clearer indication as to whether the managers plans will work. If he can find the right ingredients, even if they're only borrowed, at least we'll have an idea of whether or not he's the man for the job. We might, as you say, reach no higher than 10th, but what if we drop to 16th or below, what would that tell us about the manager? It would be so much easier if we can go into the summer on a high, knowing we are on the right track, and knowing we have the right man in charge. If things carry on like this, it leaves too many questions unanswered

the mind boggles!

Guest wilyfox

Gray still needs to prove he can get goals in our team. His work making us solid defensively is there for all to see, but at the other end it's a different story.