Lewis Mcgugan

Guest Amberketal

Or maybe he's on a ridiculous wage and Gray doesn't feel he's worth smashing our wage budget.

Really hope this is not the case and we do get him.

What do you class as ridiculous out of interest?

Surely the only reason that we are discussing a loan deal is because we can't afford to sign him permanently.

We know that Watford want rid, and that we are very keen to sign him, but together that equals a loan deal.. :wacko:

Realism perhaps that we aren't really loaded?

We've just signed two players for fees on 3.5 year contracts. I don't think it's time to raise panic about money.

It's also not a case of being "loaded". The important aspect of the takeover is that we can be competitive in the market, not that we can just chuck millions at it and hope for the best. I'm delighted that we appear to be retaining a sensible approach to our business.

If it's us that are haggling over a loan and the terms thereof, it's likely it's because the loan is what benefits us. Why pay a fee now when we could potentially get him through the door now for no more than the cost of his wages, then make him permanent in the summer when his contract is up.

We clearly have a better budget - it's no bad thing we aren't chucking money around at this time. Still need to get value for money, even if we have more money.

Exactly..we don't want to be like (albeit a much smaller scale) Manchester City when they first got money, buying anybody who was available but in the long run lots of the signings being poor ones.

Guest totemowl

think Mcgugan is essential if we are to push on next year, especially if we can get him on a free

I think he's essential if we're going to push on this year, but if he ain't going to join before summer, then we have the option of recruiting someone better.

We clearly have a better budget - it's no bad thing we aren't chucking money around at this time. Still need to get value for money, even if we have more money.

True, I just feel that it's a bit of combined frustration that we haven't and don't look like signing proven quality in the attacking areas. Which is pretty amazing considering our attacking stats. 

There's 5 hours left but it seems common knowledge that trying to get McGugan in is the last deal that will be taking place. It seems that this season has been pretty much written off and that we are planning for next season, which is good I appreciate that. I just hope we address the issues properly in the summer then and that this rest of the season is spent taking seriously what we want to achieve next year. E.g, the style of play, systems, etc. 

I think he's essential if we're going to push on this year, but if he ain't going to join before summer, then we have the option of recruiting someone better.

i started a thread last week stating we are too slow to bring in the new players needed for a push this year. Still think the same after the past 3 results that if we had done our business a bit earlier we would be much nearer the play off places. Think there is now too much to do this season tbh.

I think he'd be a great signing personally, and we should absolutely make him our top earner if that's what it takes to get him. Just speculating how Gray or the new owner might see it.

Yep, I'm not naive enough to suggest we are to be mugs and pay every team and player the wages and fees that they want without trying to get an acceptable deal for ourselves. As I highlighted in one of the previous posts, I just think that I'm a bit underwhelmed. I'm not slagging off the people that we have signed by saying that, it's more the business that we appear not to be doing. Getting a decent striker and winger in ffs... I just can't see how we've failed to do that... 

Problem is in January you can only sign what's available, really.

Plenty of deals are simply off the table now where they might be in the summer.

im just hoping the new owners get players in early this summer. Lees and Westwood certainly have benefited from a joining before the season starts imo.