Westwood though

Guest WESTENDOWL

Cracking save from a cracking 'keeper.  He is however vastly overated on here.  Top end 2nd Division keeper at best.

I see what your doing there 

The save from May was technically better goalkeeping, but part of a goalkeepers job is correct positioning.

Westwood proved with this top drawer save that although he did not know much about it, he made up for it by instinctively know where to position his body. Correct body shape and everything.

The save off may you see the ball and dive, you either reach it or not - great save.

Westwoods save was completely different, maybe doesnt look as good. but a reaction save where you make yourself big, without selling yourself, only top top notch keepers make these type of saves on a REGULAR basis. 

dunt really matter which save was better, but i doubt most keepers would have saved the westwood one. 

Only missed the wolves game at home this season, due to an RTA, but in the rest of the games, ive seen enough to know that Westwood is a class above the one hes playing in. GREAT KEEPER.

You can't really call it a reaction save when it's hit him square in the face. Agree that half the battle is being in the right place and making yourself big but it wasn't a good save per se. Think the one from May was better as he had to do a lot more

as good as it was, to get to pro standard all the keepers can make that save, its bread and butter -  its what 'wanting to be a keeper' is all about. and it is obviously a strength of their keeper he was a big lad.

but the save Westwood made is the type that MOST keepers, dont make - not consistently anyway,

Peter Schmeichel was different class to all the other keepers in the league because he did it regularly,

Yeah all keepers make these saves as a one off, but to do it consistently means its not lucky.

not enough criticism of keepers generally as 9o% of them 'sell themselves' in a 1v1 or at the near post on a weekly basis.

thankfully our keeper is in the 10% that understands the deeper facets of his profession.

Schmeichel was the master of the one-on-one. Been nobody like him since.

I do agree with you but the fact it hits him in his face takes the gloss off it and I don't think it's a wonder save. It's indicative of how good a keeper Westwood is but it doesn't defy physics like some wonder saves appear to a la Gordon Banks etc.

thats the point, it was the same sort of save,his 1v1s he used to stand up big and get as close as he could, the key bit is not making a decision, but reacting to the shot/header, being big, star like, at that exact point. 

Westwood couldnt stay were he was, he had bust a gut shifting quickly to his right and getting out to the ball, so he could do his spread/his making himself big, at the right time, while i agree its not a save pleasing on the eye, all i think is its a save most keepers wouldnt make. 

watch how many times someone cutting in from the wing, thru on goal, but at quite an acute angle, end up smashing the ball into the roof of the net while the keepers outstretched arms are just beneath the ball.... but their knees are bent and they are falling down!!! it drives me nuts and its sh!!te goalkeeping... if they stood up and made themselves big, made the forward make the decision, then a LOT MORE keepers would get hit in the face.