Liam Palmer

Guest _Ibbo_

what a patronizing thread...

Nobody in this thread knows what SG even asks of his full-backs!

so people saying what he DEFO should/should not be doing are dreaming,

playing full back isnt as 'black & white' as is being made out, else Julian Dicks & Ashley Cole would never have played in the same position. 

UTO

I think he has been shocking recently. The way he backed off Dunn in the 90th minute was criminal and could have cost us. As you say great ball for May but quite frankly he isn't good enough.

Will still support him whenever he is in an Owls shirt though as he is Wednesday through and through!!

Yeah, spot on. He backed off in similar vain for Charlton's equaliser a month or so back as well.

I like how it's always slagging off when it's pointing out what he's doing wrong. Forgot you can't criticise a wednesday player on here and actually point in what they've done.

You don't go following the ball in the middle of the pitch. It's about positional awareness, knowing when to go to the ball or back off a few yards and not letting them get crosses in and letting them walk into the box. What's so hard to understand? Like I've said you just obviously don't get defending. You don't have to dive in, just stand your ground and do you job. Anyone who's played in defence or as a goalkeeper at a decent level will tell you the same thing.

You're just twising words and making things up and missing parts out of my posts. I've stated he should sometimes go for the ball and others drop back, but pretty much at all costs you don't let them walk into the area and you do your best to prevent crosses.

You can disguise lots of things with stats. Just because he's currently playing right back at championship level for a club who can't afford better and the other right back has been injured on and off for the past two seasons. There's no better option. You can't gloss over what he's doing wrong just cos others are picking up after him. If he doesn't improve he won't be playing in the championship or better in 5 years unfortunately

If he does all the things you're saying he won't be playing in the championship either. Of course he makes mistakes. He plays for a mid table championship side with no money. This bravado of yours "you obviously don't get defending" is pathetic. It's a team game and as a DEFENSIVE UNIT we're sound. That's what being a team is all about clearing up after others mistakes and helping each other out. Get behind te lad and the rest of the team. We're doing alright.

what a patronizing thread...

Nobody in this thread knows what SG even asks of his full-backs!

so people saying what he DEFO should/should not be doing are dreaming,

playing full back isnt as 'black & white' as is being made out, else Julian Dicks & Ashley Cole would never have played in the same position. 

UTO

Pretty much this.

Secondly, Palmer's been playing poo poo loads recently. He could be knackered/carrying a knock/playing injured for all anyone knows.

Some performances haven't been up to his usual standard. But he was fantastic last season so there is obviously a reason he's not been tracking back as much because last season he was busting a gut at times.

With Buxton injured & Lee in and out...and playing midfield when he's in....we've little choice but to stick with Palmer regardless of his current conditioning. 

Surely, you saw that he had a pretty poor game then? Was caught out of positions more times than I care to remember.

Good player with plenty of potential, but never a right back.

This is my only real gripe at him, Mistakes i'll live with but sometimes appears lack of effort in getting back goal side.

Finding fault. Always people are looking to find fault with good players.

Why not look to praise?

He deserves it. His first proper year as a first team regular and he is part of our best defence for aeons.

Edited by Beholder

For all that people are saying about Palmer not being good enough, if we fail to push on and get a top 6 place, I can see a team such as Villa coming in for Palmer, they are always looking for lower league players who can make the step up, are a bit of a gamble but won't cost too much.

So yes, I do have some negative things to say about Palmer, but also a hell of a lot of positives.

Finding fault. Always people are looking to find fault with good players.

Why not look to praise?

He deserves it. His first proper year as a first team regular and he is part of our best defence for aeons.

Isn't identifying faults and weaknesses the best way for a player to develop?

Pretty sure people pointed out Ronaldo's faults and weaknesses at Man Utd when he was still ripping Premiership defences apart.

Praise where it is due - and Palmer has been accredited with filling in really well on the whole at right back - and constructive criticism when it is needed - was poor on Saturday, not been at the standards he set last season, and in some people's opinion is a midfielder, not a right back.

All about opinions. Just because someone has a different opinion to you, it isn't wrong nor is it 'always trying to find fault'.