Liam Palmer

Guest _Ibbo_

It's because he's making basic defensive errors game after game that you get drilled into you as a 12 year old not to do. 

I like how it's always slagging off when it's pointing out what he's doing wrong. Forgot you can't criticise a wednesday player on here and actually point in what they've done.

Prey tell how thats not just slagging palmer off ?

I was just going to post the same thing. Absolutely criminal. He's been getting away with that kind of backing off and being out of position all season. The tackle has to be made outside the box and there is noway a full back should ever be lettin crosses and shots come in. It's their job to stop it. It has been down to Westwood, Lees and Loovens that his poor defending hasn't been punished more this season. Great ball in the first half, supposed you have to mention that.

From 3:40 watch the defending

http://youtu.be/_TwPuBoqCQE

I've watched this again. There are TWO wednesday defenders around Dunn. Who beats them both by playing a 1-2. 

Both of these players should have got a challenge before Dunn got anywhere near Palmer.

Maguire and Helen both fail to get a challenge in. But Hey lets just slagg off Palmer. 

And it was Maguire that gave the ball away in the 1st place. 

Edited by _Ibbo_

Palmer had a poor game on saturday , and yes it was a great ball through to May , and yes I was actually there . 

At the moment he seems to lose concentration at times and is quite often reluctant to track back with any pace .

May sound a bit daft , but he's got a new babe and maybe is having a few disturbed nights , which as anyone with kids knows can leave you in a bit of a daze the following day .Basically you just feel knackered and living in a dream .

Hopefully its just a passing phase until his next kid comes along 

Guest AbbeyOwl

A match fit Buxton is a better full back than palmer IMO. I rated palmer last season but I think he has become complacent and as taken his starting role for granted and I think he has been poor for several games...he seems to lack the effort and desire he showed last season. I just think healthy competition could get him performing again.

Palmer and nuhiu were our worst players at Blackburn Saturday and I will put my neck on the line and say palmer edged it and was probably our worst!!

Buxton simply does not have the pace to play at this level, whether it is injuries or what I do not know, dont get the love him with him, its like some blokes are hiding their gay tendencies. lol

Liam's doing a great job filling in at right back.

I suspect the reason he is backing off alot is because that's exactly what he's being told to do. It's all about stats and percentages these days.

Firstly by Dave Jones who plied his trade in the top tier of the game as a full back and now Stuart Gray who played in the top tier at full back.

I never saw or heard these two castigating Palmer for his failings - awarding him player of the year yes.

The lad's doing great and rest assured he's getting the proper guidance to improve further.

Buxton simply does not have the pace to play at this level, whether it is injuries or what I do not know, dont get the love him with him, its like some blokes are hiding their gay tendencies. lol

Buxton is steady and reliable...he doesn't need pace!! Positional sense, his ability to mark n track his player better than palmers full stop. I wouldn't say palmer is the quickest either. Buxton can also cross a ball

Abbey owl...I'm not slagging palmer by the way. I'm simply saying healthy competition would surely get the best out of him

Guest AbbeyOwl

Buxton is steady and reliable...he doesn't need pace!! Positional sense, his ability to mark n track his player better than palmers full stop. I wouldn't say palmer is the quickest either. Buxton can also cross a ball

Abbey owl...I'm not slagging palmer by the way. I'm simply saying healthy competition would surely get the best out of him

Last time I saw Buxton when he lost the ball he didnt have the pace to get back, tracking back 20 yards behind play is hardly helpful

the rule of thumb is, if someones making a run go with them and stay with them (even if they pass the ball) helan should have gone with bentley or whoever that was. helan dropped off and then palmer who had turned his attention to the other lad had to play catch-which he did and left bentley with an awkward angle even if he did have a decent shot.

Did we play the Blackburn team from year 2000 or something?

Guest AbbeyOwl

Palmer wouldn't make up 20 yards...I would suspect even Helan would struggle!!

Palmer wouldnt be 20 yards behind play, please read again D for effort

I find myself asking who would I have out of Palmer/Buxton/Simek who have been our best right backs since we dropped from the top flight.

Increasingly, even given his faults I am leaning towards Palmer.    Ultimately if we played the system with wing backs I think that would be his best possible position, be we don't and I can't see us ever doing so lets hope Pamer keeps learning

For me he just needs to learn when to stop backing off and put a tackle in, and also positional sense when defending, but i'm being very critical in saying that - he's doing better than adequate and that's currently getting the job done. 

However if Buxton was fully fit more often, i'd still try to find them both a starting place, which would probably mean Palmer right mid or centre mid more.

Edited by salmonbones

Palmer wouldnt be 20 yards behind play, please read again D for effort

Are you having a laugh?? On 3 or 4 occasions on Saturday Palmer was caught way out of position and Maguire/Drenthe found themselves going backwards doing his job far to often. He was also screamed at by the Wednesday fans for the lazy effort he put in to recover his position...second half when we came under pressure this became even more apparant!!!!!!!