40 years ago today

No segregation in those days,many away fans would be there early on the kop,some had to run across the pitch to the Lep to escape...Also in the early seventies,we would sit down on the kop before the game,there was plenty of room. Millwall used to only bring a few,but were always on the kop.

I remember on one occasion, maybe around the time of Wilko, the club put Millwall fans in the corner of the kop, where tango does his bit now.

They were a tough set of fans. They withstood barrage after barrage. It must have been like Rourke's Drift. Totally stupid to put supporter's on there.

I a bit confused on this. How did Man Utd fans get on the kop with such ease? Did they not have segregation or was it the norm for fans to share the terraces?

When I started watching Wednesday, around the time of Big Jack, segregation was all ready in.

our gates at that time were dreadful, SYP in there wisdom announced they were going to allocate the kop to Man Utd as after their relegation from the first division they were taking 10'000 plus to most away games & planned to put us in the lep, south & north. Some of us had other ideas, we actually ended up in leppings lane having another riot around the back after getting thrown out of the kop & ground! But went back round to get back on the kop again to have another go!..what a day!....I can't believe I actually saw every Wednesday goal that day!lol

Me and my mate arrived about 45 minutes before kick-off to find about 12,000 Manure fans already occupying the Kop! Plenty of them on the Lep that day too. Wednesday fans were mainly in the stands or dotted around in groups of 2 or 3 except for a couple of hundred at the front of the Kop which as i recall is where the bulk of the trouble was.

Villa did a similar thing too near the end of the season and they got a right old pasting.

Surely the Lepps would have accommodated 10,000 in those days.

SYP lol

Sounds like chaos on that day. Game's like that build memories for life.

with out a doubt it would have held them but they fetched 20,000+! I think our average that season was around 10\12000, from memory give or take a thousand. But your right M, great memories, for some bizzare reason we all pissed ourselves laughing at what was happening for most of the day if we would have had time to think we should have legged it!....& to be fair to syp when they were grabbing us to stick us in black marias they asked if we were wednesday or utd we told em wednesday & they let us go & kept utd fans in! ....happy days (I suspect they were owls fans!)

I was with my dad in the North ( Season ticket holder ) .... TBH ... They had the kop & and the Leppings Lane . When the cry of ... ' The Wednesday ' went up on the North .... They were stunned .

We scored 4 ..... Jim Holten broke his leg ..... And it was chaos outside .... I was scared but couldn't believe the Wednesdayites  outside the ground .... Eye-opener for me ....

Was at both games, just got back of holiday in 68 and was rushed straight to the match, magnificent . The 74 match the girlfriend (future missus) asked if I could take her young brother luckily managed to swerve it. Was at the back of the Kop and didn't get into it until after the match as everyone streamed out onto Penistone Road. Later found out that the girlfriends Dad took the young lad.

A note on stayprest trousers, used to love the two tone ones looked reyt smart

Sat in South Stand Lower and ,as many have said,it was carnage.One Man.U. fan was dragged by his scarf down the steps by a policeman and 'flipped' over the wall by the said officer.The guy must have wondered what had happened to him when he came round.The memory of the'knot'of Wednesdayites battling to the last minute of the game in the bottom corner of the Kop will live with me forever.I could not believe that so few could stay there against such vast numbers.They don't make 'em like that any more!