40 years ago today

The 2nd most memorable match I attended at Hillsborough in the 1970s.  My dad foolishly to me on the Kop and ended up with some other Wednesday dads forming a protective circle around imyself and some other Wednesday lads at the bottom corner of the Kop  - t'was like the Alamo as fighting erupted all around us.  I still have nightmare of Man Utd fans wearing flare and star jumpers chasing me tripping over their scarves tied around thier wrists. ;-)

It was also quite exciting on the pitch too - the football was pulsating end to end stuff and the Man Utd fans invaded the pitch again attempting to get the match called off when Wednesday went 3-1 up. 

From the match highlights Wednesday didn't look that bad and scored some good goals - some shocking defending including some terrible fplapping by poor old Peter Springett.  You can't believe this was the same team would be some woeful after the Christmas break. As a last hurrah this wasn't too shabby.  If only we'd kepy McMordie....

Come on Wednesdayites of a certain age - what are your memories of this classic 4-4 encounter ?

The programme

34086_zps3ca70d4d.jpg

I recall this cartoon appeared in the programme of a 1968 encounter when the encounter finished 5-4 to Wednesday - amazing that history nearly repeated itself

post-513-1226477802_zps8725db77.jpg

Our squad of world beaters

SheffieldWednesday1974m_zps7b6b74fb.jpg

ManUre

imagescopy13_zpse511ab53.jpg

Bernard Shaw tees up the freekick  to make it 3-1 - and we had terrible refs even then

hqdefault_zps2d9eca77.jpg

Crowd trouble

0copy2_zps7bcef430.jpg

crowd-trouble_zpscd7f0a35.jpg

PA-768173_zps0ffe026c.jpg

TV Footage

Edited by dunsbyowl

My Dad obviously didn't fancy that game

Whilst it was a great game the context in a wider light enthralls me but in a negative way. The behaviour of the Man U fans that day but alongside general hooliganism led thereafter to segregation, fences first went up at S6 in advance of a cup semi involving Man U in 76 and the rest is history

i was on the kop for the 68 game and that was a bit feisty as well ,graduated to the north by 74 and quite enjoyed watching our lads on the kop putting up a gallant show against overwhelming odds. i was all for jumping the wall and wading in to help out but the yellow streak running down my spine prevented me from doing so . .........and dagmeister correct mate best game ive ever seen as well .

Didn't go to the 4-4 game, but was on the Upper West Stand for the 5-4 match, the best match I've ever seen.

Also went the year before 1967 for a night match, first time I'd seen trouble in the ground, when Man U fans on the Kop started kicking off at half time, with many spilling onto the pitch.

I too remember that day on the kop. We all came down from "Jacks" Sasparella bar if anyone remembers that small pin ball palace on Langsett road? All Wednesday and all onto the kop.

"Jacks" Sasparella bar! That sounds so retro and takes my mind back to an era lost forever.

Wish I could have experienced such places. Slightly before my time.

What a day! Although vastly outnumbered believe me dunsby some of them Man utd fans needed protection that day, I was with quite a few reprobates from Mexborough\conisborough area who went straight in,working our way up the kop, showing them our best doc martins! They were crapping themselves its only when the police tried putting themselves between us & trying to get us off the kop that they got brave & came running down, thousands off em! I looked round looking for Michael Caine to give orders!.....happy days

carnage, from way before kick off..fighting on the Lepp then the South then all over the Kop.

Kop was packed with United fans from about half one..We got in about 2ish and stood in the usual place under the old scoreboard..plenty of Wednesday there, most of the fighting was in the bottom left hand corner near the South, went on for most of the game..just kept sparking up all over the place, not helped by the way the game went...everytime a goal went in one side or another started up again..Great football game though...think if I remember the reports about it after in the Mirror, it said summat like...

paraphrase

"The parting shot of the battle happened at the appropriately named "Hangmans bend" on the road back to Manchester as someone shot a pellet gun at United coaches"..

think thats where the Norfolk pub is...not sure though...