Big John Holsgrove

2 minutes ago, torryowl said:

good player eric potts .....great player tommy craig .....potts best years where in the 3rd division and he won his player of the year awards after tommo had left.......you only have to look at the record of the 74-75 season to see how the transfer of craig affected the side .one win, 4 goals scored in the twenty games after he'd gone 

You're absolutely right, I was being sarcastic ..... I was talking to some Newcastle fans after he'd moved up there for £110,000 and they couldn't thank Wednesday enough for letting them have such a class player for a cut price. They loved him up there, think he became skipper.

2 minutes ago, Ursa Minor said:

You're absolutely right, I was being sarcastic ..... I was talking to some Newcastle fans after he'd moved up there for £110,000 and they couldn't thank Wednesday enough for letting them have such a class player for a cut price. They loved him up there, think he became skipper.

phew ..that's saved me blocking you ....lol.....I did like potts though he was one of the few shining lights after tommo left .

• Haha 1

Was talking to Alan Thompson a few years ago and he didn't say much in the way of nice things about John "Robin Gibb" Holsgrove, so I assumed from that chat that all was not well in the dressing room at the time. This could explain a lot as when you look at that side there were enough decent players to have avoided the catastrophe that happened. Peter Rodrigues went on to lead Southampton to the FA Cup.

Pete Springett was a top keeper, especially in Division 2. Tommy Craig, plenty has already been said about him and we had the experience of Colin Harvey and Bernard Shaw. We should never have been in that position in the first place. Clearly after Butenshaw was sacked Len Ashursts first job was to instil some discipline in the dressing room and get out the dead wood. For me he started the process which Big Jack then finished

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Owl Capone said:

Was talking to Alan Thompson a few years ago and he didn't say much in the way of nice things about John "Robin Gibb" Holsgrove, so I assumed from that chat that all was not well in the dressing room at the time. This could explain a lot as when you look at that side there were enough decent players to have avoided the catastrophe that happened. Peter Rodrigues went on to lead Southampton to the FA Cup.

Pete Springett was a top keeper, especially in Division 2. Tommy Craig, plenty has already been said about him and we had the experience of Colin Harvey and Bernard Shaw. We should never have been in that position in the first place. Clearly after Butenshaw was sacked Len Ashursts first job was to instil some discipline in the dressing room and get out the dead wood. For me he started the process which Big Jack then finished

This................i know Len Ashurst gets a raw deal from some but for me he inherited a godawful squad and started turning it around by bringing the likes of Jeff Johnson, Dennis Leman, Tommy Tynan and Rodger Wylde into the team

37 minutes ago, sheriwozgod said:

This................i know Len Ashurst gets a raw deal from some but for me he inherited a godawful squad and started turning it around by bringing the likes of Jeff Johnson, Dennis Leman, Tommy Tynan and Rodger Wylde into the team

Certainly not from me he doesn't. He had to try and save the club from relegation to Division Four at the same time as having to clear out staff to save money.....it must have been a bloody awful situation to be in. And Big Jack always acknowledged the groundwork his predecessor had done.

You mention some of the players he brought in, though Oscar had plenty of experience before Ashurst joined, but some of his best signings were off the field....notably Tony Toms and John Harris, the old United manager. Mind you he did also bring in Barry Watling who was the single worst goalie I've ever seen.... 

Edited by fredmciverslovechild

3 hours ago, Owl Capone said:

Rodrigues was allowed to leave on a free transfer which was scandalous, I remember back page of star about us announcing a load of players that were going on transfer list, most of em free.

56 minutes ago, fredmciverslovechild said:

Certainly not from me he doesn't. He had to try and save the club from relegation to Division Four at the same time as having to clear out staff to save money.....it must have been a bloody awful situation to be in. And Big Jack always acknowledged the groundwork his predecessor had done.

You mention some of the players he brought in, though Oscar had plenty of experience before Ashurst joined, but some of his best signings were off the field....notably Tony Toms and John Harris, the old United manager. Mind you he did also bring in Barry Watling who was the single worst goalie I've ever seen.... 

As well as the semi-legendary Peter Feeley

On ‎06‎/‎12‎/‎2014 at 21:42, minsk owl said:

to be fair ......... there were quite a few distractions from the game that day ........ particularly in the bottom corner of the Kop  lol

That's where I watched the 20 minutes or so of the game that I actually saw that day.  Spent the rest of the time "discussing" whose Kop it was with the Manure fans... :ph34r: