Big John Holsgrove

On 06/12/2014 at 00:20, Hugh Jarce said:

Big no nonsense centre half signed from Wolves?

As a kid around '74/75, I can remember being well impressed with his magnificent chads, but , perhaps not so much with his footballing panache.

Anyone else recall big John?

Remember him well. Started out with a bullish approach and was captain. Unfortunately, the side was in steep decline from day one and he got little amongst the dross we had at the time. Can also recall that he played guitar and once saw a picture of him and Lulu of all people having a "jam".

Lurch.....he was absolutley gash,he fitted in well here as most of them were gash to be fair around that time.

Pete Swan wasnt a fan,he slated him off something wicked.

He showed quite a bit of potential in his early Wolves days,I remember him scoring at home to Fulham,he weighed in with the odd goal here n there.

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2014 at 00:20, Hugh Jarce said:

Big no nonsense centre half signed from Wolves?

As a kid around '74/75, I can remember being well impressed with his magnificent chads, but , perhaps not so much with his footballing panache.

Anyone else recall big John?

Yeah he was Shybo and so jealous that Peter Swan had forgotten more about defending than he was ever likely to know !

Actually saw him score at Craven Cottage in February 1975 - one of three Wednesday scored in the final 19 games that season and the last one until Joicey's last minute equaliser ten games later! The game at Fulham(lost 2-1) was a horrendous performance in the freezing cold. Bernard Joy once quite a famous journalist with the London Evening Standard wrote the next day that it was sad to see this "once great club" in such dire circumstances. Little did he know we hadn't even started yet!

• Haha 1

On 03/09/2017 at 14:59, @owlstalk said:

holsgrove-at-wed-sheffield-newspapers-ltd-copy.jpg

My dad never swore if he did us kids never heard him that was until this bloke turned up at S6...

His warm up was "Useless Bloody Eustase" then ....I can't tell you what he said about this lump ,  just in case my Brother shows mum this post 

Smart converse boots though....

Edited by OWLERTON GHOST

On 12/6/2014 at 13:39, torryowl said:

no one can  remember cusack & holsgrove together as they never played in the same side ....your probably right about cranson & may as they only played once together and obviously didnt impress wilko .

Is that right ?..............christ, my old memory must be playing up.................i can clearly remember that Cusack and Holsgrove were awful but thought they played alongside each other.

Am i mixing it up Dowd / Cusack ??

On 06/12/2014 at 10:07, hasthagotanycheese said:

Too young to remember Cusack & Holsgrove together but I would nominate Ian Cranson & Larry May as our worst ever centre back pairing.

You were lucky to be born later than us old sods. Cranson and May were world beaters compared to the old third division days.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, sheriwozgod said:

Is that right ?..............christ, my old memory must be playing up.................i can clearly remember that Cusack and Holsgrove were awful but thought they played alongside each other.

Am i mixing it up Dowd / Cusack ??

i'd guess dowd would have played with both of them .....

On ‎06‎/‎12‎/‎2014 at 14:02, dunsbyowl said:

There he is with a few other "stars" of the day - is this why we play the ramones at half time? ;-)

SheffieldWednesday1974_zpsad72d9c8.jpg

when you look at that it makes you realise what an awful manager steve burtenshaw was ....there's some good players (and prendo,mcmordie&harvey can be added) )on there and no way should they have finished where they did .how he lasted thru the season and into the next shows how inept we were at boardroom level .

On Saturday, December 06, 2014 at 14:02, dunsbyowl said:

There he is with a few other "stars" of the day - is this why we play the ramones at half time? ;-)

SheffieldWednesday1974_zpsad72d9c8.jpg

Minus the collar, that kit is a thing of beauty. Why do they overcomplicate kit design?

Edited by Cheshowl

13 hours ago, torryowl said:

when you look at that it makes you realise what an awful manager steve burtenshaw was ....there's some good players (and prendo,mcmordie&harvey can be added) )on there and no way should they have finished where they did .how he lasted thru the season and into the next shows how inept we were at boardroom level .

This..........................as awful as our record was during this time we always had that to cling on to, i , personally thought the Turner era was much worse, there are at least 6 players on this picture that would have WALKED into that turner side.

13 minutes ago, sheriwozgod said:

This..........................as awful as our record was during this time we always had that to cling on to, i , personally thought the Turner era was much worse, there are at least 6 players on this picture that would have WALKED into that turner side.

one of them would walk into todays side AND  be the best player .....

3 minutes ago, torryowl said:

one of them would walk into todays side AND  be the best player .....

Presume you mean Eric Potts and not Tommy Craig. Potts was player of the year twice and scored in that memorable match against Southend that kept Wednesday out of Division 4.

1 minute ago, Ursa Minor said:

Presume you mean Eric Potts and not Tommy Craig. Potts was player of the year twice and scored in that memorable match against Southend that kept Wednesday out of Division 4.

good player eric potts .....great player tommy craig .....potts best years where in the 3rd division and he won his player of the year awards after tommo had left.......you only have to look at the record of the 74-75 season to see how the transfer of craig affected the side .one win, 4 goals scored in the twenty games after he'd gone