Big John Holsgrove

Aye. Standing on kop in pisssing rain. In 1974 on a Tuesday night in November. Losing 0-1. At home. Again.

There's only one Big John Holsgrove.

There's only one Big John Holsgrove

There's only one Big John Holsgrooooooooove.

What a fanny. Couldn't' kick a ball to to save his life.

Edited by pauli

Looked very similar to 1960's Robin Gibb, although Gibb was probably a better footballer than  Holsgrove. I don't know how many players have played for Wednesday since I first watched them, but if I had to pick the five worst centre halves I've seen play in a  Wednesday shirt, John Holsgrove would be somewhere in that group.

• Haha 1

Awful centre half , i remember him really grating my old mans cheddar back in the day................... but looked almost Cannavaroesque compared to Dave Cusack.

When the two played together they have got to be up there as our worst centre back pairing ever.

Too young to remember Cusack & Holsgrove together but I would nominate Ian Cranson & Larry May as our worst ever centre back pairing.

I remember when we signed him he fancied himself as a bit of a pop star too. He said when we got promoted he would plat a gig at the city hall. As a kid I was daft enough to believe it would happen.

Wasn't he mates with Lulu?

Or at least I remember a programme with a picture of him and Lulu, who was in a Wednesday shirt, and Willie Henderson. Or was it Wee Willie that knew her?

Anyhow, that's a cue for some saddo....sorry, statto.....to do a scan of the pic.

Too young to remember Cusack & Holsgrove together but I would nominate Ian Cranson & Larry May as our worst ever centre back pairing.

no one can  remember cusack & holsgrove together as they never played in the same side ....your probably right about cranson & may as they only played once together and obviously didnt impress wilko .