They want Madine on a permanent deal.

Get rid ffs.

The guys a helmet and as things stand a league one player with one decent season to his name.

Sign him up again in the summer and it'll be same old Madine.

A move would be best for both parties.

Hang on, people suggesting a nominal fee.

Didnt we pay almost £1m for him? He went on to prove himself in L1. 

Yes hes been out a while but is bigger and hungrier now, look at that long range effort at the weekend.

If we basically gave him away then we would have been robbed I think.

But good luck to him and nice to see him playing football.

Quite, we are not so well off for strikers, we can afford to give away a player of this age, who has already proven he can score goals. Plus, is anyone really convinced we'll go out and get better? We cleared the decks this summer but failed to bring in the striker we needed.

Hang on, people suggesting a nominal fee.

Didnt we pay almost £1m for him? He went on to prove himself in L1.

Yes hes been out a while but is bigger and hungrier now, look at that long range effort at the weekend.

If we basically gave him away then we would have been robbed I think.

But good luck to him and nice to see him playing football.

Hes out of contract at the end of the season.

Guest JonTheOwl66

I think Madine will go on to be a very good Championship striker.

But not with us, I think he will never progress with us. Needs a fresh start the lad.

Agree completely.

That's true he is, but we should have never got ourselves in this position. If we didn't think he could cut it at this level, why then did we hang on to him when we had the perfect opportunity to get rid? Either we should have offloaded him back then, or moved to protect our asset.

Edited by gurujuan

Didn't we bum DiCanio off for being a naughty boy and got tuppence for him from West Ham? That was a great bit of business  :biggrin:

Difference was Di Canio was a top player at the level we were at and had proven ability at that level.

That's true he is, but we should have never got ourselves in this position. If we didn't think he could cut it at this level, why then did we hang on to him when we had the perfect opportunity to get rid? Either we should have offloaded him back then, or moved to protect our asset.

Spot on, not for the first time we have waited too long, paid good wages to a player who hasn't features and are now in a position where we can't recoup any decent fee.

To be fair Gray wanted the chance to take a look, that has happened and he dies not like west he sees. Move on

If we had gone out and secured a better replacement, possibly this would make sense As it is, I'd rather the stick with what we have, a 24 year old proven goal scorer. It's not like we could even go out and buy a similar striker from league one. It's a joke.

Why is it a joke? Ask yourself these questions.

Will Gray be leaving anytime soon?

Does Gray have one bit of faith in the player?

We may as well use his wages for the last 6 months to fund a player that will figure in the managers plans. He has no future at our club which is completely obvious that he can still remain on loan with our current striker shortage. Why can't people see that?

Supposition really, if anything, Gray has indicated he does believe in him. Whether he is saying that because he's all we've got, which is kinda my point. There's little sign that we can get better. It's more likely the saved wages would go on a selection of Gary Taylor-Fletchers for a month or so.

Lets hope he starts banging in the goals left right and centre for Coventry then.

We can't lose either way if he starts playing well.

Lets not kid ourselves.

He could score 5 every game and a lot of people on this forum would come up with excuses not to have him back.

The same old names who rack up 10k posts in relative quick time who have nothing better to do mainly.   - i.e no other life.

The club have not treated him well??

He could and probably should have been sacked last year.

As it is, he was supported, brought straight back into the fold and has acted like a petulant child when not getting the game time that he thinks he deserves (despite not having a single goal in the championship since before he went to prison). The club's treatment of him has allowed him to walk straight back into the game.

When we got promoted he was probably worth 1.5m. the impact of HIS actions now mean he's worth just about f*ck all, but yeah, lets blame the club.

You could of course just read part of my post and then get on your high horse.

The way I look at it. Everyone knows we are well short in the striking department and have been talking about bringing in players for two years now. Other than a succession of short term loans, we've done nothing to address the problem. We cannot even compete in that market any more. What on earth makes people think that we will go out and get better than Madine?

We have four young strikers, all under the age of 25, all have their limitations, but all are young enough to improve. It's not ideal, but it's certainly better than having only three, which I think would be the most likely scenario, were we to let Madine go

Edited by gurujuan

Guest Gershwin

Letting him go to Coventry for nowt would just about sum up our misguided transfer policy. Penny pinch to the extent of jeopardising our championship future, but continue to undersell our younger players. His age, and the fact that he got 20 goals in his last full season means he really should be worth a bob or two. Why bother keeping him on when he was incarcerated if we were just going to let him run down his contract.

Does anyone know if Wednesday suspended his pay whilst he was at Her Majesty's pleasure? Wednesday would have been entitled to stop paying him as Madine would have been unable to fulfill his side of the contract. But did we?

Edited by Gershwin

Does anyone know if Wednesday suspended his pay whilst he was at Her Majesty's pleasure? Wednesday would have been entitled to stop paying him as Madine would have been unable to fulfill his side of the contract. But did we?

If I remember correctly we did but I don't know what my source was at the time but I feel the club made a statement to this effect.

Loaning players is like this: You sell your house and have cash, you rent the kind of house that you wouldn't be able to afford.

The inevitable conclusion to this is that you end up skint and homeless.

I for one would much rather accept that if our budget is more 3 bed semi than 4 bed detached then I'm okay with that, but seeing players like Hallam hope and GTF here seems a pointless waste of money. Instead let us nurture and support the players that we already have instead of messing about with the squad all the time.

I don't mind us having a Barkley, Whickham or a Drenthe to add ONE bit of sparkle but filling out the side with loanees who are no better than what we already have is utterly pointless.