They want Madine on a permanent deal.

I don't dislike Madine the footballer, I think he's shown glimpses of being a reasonable forward and has shown himself to be a decent finisher when the chances have been there.

The issue with Madine is you sense that he doesn't help himself really. If you had half a brain cell you'd notice what Mr Gray likes in his players which is epitomised by Nuhiu and May. Graft and a team mentality are crucial if you want to get into this side.

It's a bit of an assumption because I don't get to see training and Madine has had limited first team opportunities but I really do not get the feeling he's taken that on board.

Having been quite excited by his raw talent when we signed him I'll be a tad disappointed when he slips out the back door for a nominal fee but sometimes the club needs to be out first.

Off the field he's continually undermined the manager and the fans in both his actions out and about and his behaviour on social media.

For now I think we have a player in May and, arguably Lavery, that offers greater potential and fits our style of play.

If we replace Madine with another body in January I doubt we'll be worse off.

Even in the third division I was never convinced by him and said so on here many times (got sniped at for it too). I never did buy into the "he's young and will improve" argument, but like many of us I hoped he would. He hasn't though and although he's filled out a little he still seemed weak to me and far too easily brushed aside. I just wonder whether he is seen as a "distracting influence" in the dressing room....it has been well reported that he befriended the likes of McCabe who has not fulfilled early promise and his nightclub antics were abhorrent ....Time to offload as far as I'm concerned.

I wish him well all the same, perhaps pastures new will resurect his career and he acknowledges his privileged position.

As a Wednesdayite of 47 years i cannot believe some of the attitudes you see on this so called fans forum.

Gary Madine is a player whom we paid in the region of £800,000 for, at the time he wasnt the finished article but a raw talent,

he had his problems at Carlisle but that didnt bother anyone on here when he was scoring in the first division,

he has never had a good run of games in which to find any sort of form, unlike some other players who are still playing but not scoring.

It would be poor business to let him go without recouping some of our outlay and I still think he will make a good championship player, hopefully for us.

Back in the day, before everybodies every move was scrutinised, he would have been called a" jack the lad " and just judged on his on the field antics,

it makes me wonder how players like Curren and Wylde would have faired these days,

How was he supposed to get a run of games sat in a prison cell playing with Bubbas ball bag?

Guest Gershwin

Carlisle News & Star, 21 January 2011. â€œMadine’s transfer fee was undisclosed at the request of Wednesday but is understood to be worth around £800,000 to (Carlisle) United with a significant amount of that sum linked to appearances and goals.â€

All told, Wednesday will have probably have paid about £750K to Carlisle for Madine. With his contract up with Wednesday next summer, Madine might command £100K in January, though it could be less. Say, he’ll have cost Wednesday £650K, plus wages. Good business or bad business?

His goals were a key part of the 2012 promotion to the 2nd level/division. What is that worth for even one season in the higher division? It’s hard to break down all the increased income streams, but some analysts put it at £6-9m. There’s £2m+ from TV alone. Bigger attendances. More advertising revenues. More pies sold (no, don’t). What would Wednesday have paid as the 2011/12 season kicked off to guarantee promotion. A darned sight more than £650K.  That’s probably the best way to look at Madine’s time at S6.

The lad’s a fool, he could have done much better for himself. He’s no Lionel Messi, but he could have done well in football. He’ll not. Not Wednesday’s problem as it looks like he’s off soon. Wednesday got what it wanted from Madine: 18 league goals in the promotion season. Good enough return from the Owls’ investment.

Edited by Gershwin

Selling Madine would be a step backwards. We should be integrating players like him into the squad. Young, strong and has an eye for goal, selling him will just fund a 6 month loan striker and them we'll still not spend in the summer.

We need to get that Madine back from when Megson was manager. He use to thrive off a floated cross. All any striker for us gets now is Maguire deciding crosses aren't for him and he just a cuts inside and shoots.

Guest JonTheOwl66

If it helps us keep Drenthe and McGugan for longer then it's good.

We still need another striker though. We have two fully fit one's at the moment, and one working his way back.

Selling Madine would be a step backwards. We should be integrating players like him into the squad. Young, strong and has an eye for goal, selling him will just fund a 6 month loan striker and them we'll still not spend in the summer.

We need to get that Madine back from when Megson was manager. He use to thrive off a floated cross. All any striker for us gets now is Maguire deciding crosses aren't for him and he just a cuts inside and shoots.

Give that man a bacon roll, at last some sense.

Letting him go to Coventry for nowt would just about sum up our misguided transfer policy. Penny pinch to the extent of jeopardising our championship future, but continue to undersell our younger players. His age, and the fact that he got 20 goals in his last full season means he really should be worth a bob or two. Why bother keeping him on when he was incarcerated if we were just going to let him run down his contract.

Letting him go to Coventry for nowt would just about sum up our misguided transfer policy. Penny pinch to the extent of jeopardising our championship future, but continue to undersell our younger players. His age, and the fact that he got 20 goals in his last full season means he really should be worth a bob or two. Why bother keeping him on when he was incarcerated if we were just going to let him run down his contract.

given that he has 6 months left on his contract what do you think we should ask for him ? bear in mind if we ask too much cov wont have the money  ......if he doesnt sign for coventry or anyone else would you give him a new contract in june bearing in mind it will cost us at least 5 grand a week . ?.........ignore your feelings for him ,the manager doesnt seem to want him , the chairman/owner seems happy to get rid and yet you criticise the club for wanting to get rid of a player they dont want .its easy to slag the club but they gave a him a chance when he came out of prison and honoured his contract and now they seem happy to let him go which makes you think he may have problems that arnt conducive to the club .