Christmas Day Fixtures

Just a couple of quick questions on Christmas Day fixtures which I believe ended in 1957.

1 - Are any Owlstalkers out there who've attended a Christmas Day fixture and what issues did it cause?

2 - If they were re-introduced would any Owlstalkers go or would the missus complain so much that you wouldn't attend the match?

I regularly used to go to matches on Xmas day and it was normal for all the males in the family to go together. Games kicked off at 11am and then you would walk home for Xmas dinner. I know it's hard to imagine but you could smell the aroma of roast turkey and

Yorkshire puddings all the way home. 

The last time we played on this day was in 1958 v Preston and we drew 4-4 and what was unique in those days was that you played

the reverse fixtures the next day ( boxing day ) and Preston won 3-0. Christmas day wasn't a particularly good day for the Owls because we took some beatings on this day especially Manchester United and Nottingham Forest. 

I don't think it would be a good idea to bring them back mainly because of transport problems.

Something else unique in those days to play the same opponents at Easter and a few weeks ago someone published a photo of the club mascot, a young blond haired lad whose name escapes me. I was only in my early teens then and sometimes I would travel with the mascots parents to away games. They lived in Wakefield and one Easter we were due to play Fulham on Good Friday with an 11am kick off. We had to catch the 3am mail train to get there. We lost 5-2 and Jimmy Hill scored 4 of them and after the game we had a full day in London because the train back wasn't till midnight. The following day if I remember,EFootballaster Saturday we were at home to Brighton and then on Easter Monday we played Fulham again at home. Oh happy days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeez I am in intense negotiations with the Mrs over Boxing Day as apparently there is some thing about it being a day for the family. As I say the ones we don't like and have to visit through gritted teeth (and don't have Sky or even worse watch rugby(

Just a couple of quick questions on Christmas Day fixtures which I believe ended in 1957.

1 - Are any Owlstalkers out there who've attended a Christmas Day fixture and what issues did it cause?

2 - If they were re-introduced would any Owlstalkers go or would the missus complain so much that you wouldn't attend the match?

I'm lucky the Missus is an Owl..

Turkey in pre game..off to game..win 5-0...party hats sprouts an' beer...be brilliant..

friendly atmos..band playin' "Ding dong merrily on high"..badly...

The Realist an' Grandad huggin' in the North..Big Guns happily clappin'...

Right chance of a full house if it was the right opposition...Christmas is for family..The Wednesday are family..Whats the problem?