How's this for a game ?

post-4683-0-24736200-1415814212.jpg

On the 12 November, 54 years ago, Hillsborough witnessed arguably the game of the 1960/61 campaign.

Second-placed Wednesday met top of the table Tottenham Hotspur in S6. 

The North London side were runaway leaders of the First Division and 56,363 fans crammed into three stands at Hillsborough. 

Work on the new cantilever North Stand meant that the stadium was a three-sided ground and had all sides been available, the record crowd at Hillsborough could well have been under threat. 

The record stands at 72,841 v Manchester City in the 1933/34 FA Cup fifth round. 

The Owls cut Spurs’ lead at the top to five points after goals from Billy Griffin and John Fantham sealed a 2-1 win for the hosts. 

Owlstalk Shop

Was at this game,absolutely fabulous to watch. No segregation in those days, I was on the Lepping's lane end with some of the Spurs fans. No problems at all. Does anyone know the teams from that day,all my history books are packed away. Cheers 

I was there on that Kop, which didn't have an electric scoreboard as marconi , the electronics genius, rightly points out. 

I also went to the next 3 which were all losses as Minsk says.  1-2 at Leicester in thick fog.  Hardly saw the ball.

1-2 home to Villa. Can't remember it but I must have gone.

2-4 at Everton in front of 60,702.  They'd played Spurs a week or two before and had over 70,000 packed in.  We were 2-1 up at half-time.  Cracking game.

Team v Spurs was McLaren Johnson Megson McAnearney Swan Kay Griffin Craig(Bobby) Ellis Fantham Finney.   Pretty much the regular side except for Derek Wilkinson and Ron Springett who I assume were injured.

attachicon.gifkop-4x3138-2079892_478x359.jpg

On the 12 November, 54 years ago, Hillsborough witnessed arguably the game of the 1960/61 campaign.

Second-placed Wednesday met top of the table Tottenham Hotspur in S6. 

The North London side were runaway leaders of the First Division and 56,363 fans crammed into three stands at Hillsborough. 

Work on the new cantilever North Stand meant that the stadium was a three-sided ground and had all sides been available, the record crowd at Hillsborough could well have been under threat. 

The record stands at 72,841 v Manchester City in the 1933/34 FA Cup fifth round. 

The Owls cut Spurs’ lead at the top to five points after goals from Billy Griffin and John Fantham sealed a 2-1 win for the hosts. 

This was my first match. What a great game and great atmosphere. Been an owl ever since. WAWAW