Would Sheffield Wednesday have reinstated rapist Ched Evans?

All this talk of "he's served his time" misses two important points:

1) His CONVICTION is not yet considered a spent conviction under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act.

2) Evans is on the sex offenders register.

These both still apply, so the idea that his offense and conviction are no longer relevant is incorrect. That he has 'served his time' is practically irrelevant.

His sentence was 5 years wasn't it? That means his conviction will never be a spent conviction.

He will be on the sex offenders register. He will not be allowed to share changing rooms, or play in the same area, or be in the Gym with under 16s.

United are going to have to ban all under 16s [junior players, kids teams, young supporters] from Shirecliffe whenever he is there.

That`s setting a great example for a "family club". He wont sign for any club, because of the disruption this will cause.

Without supervision !!!

In all fairness I've just caught up on last nights news night and it shows you a rapist reading a statement off a peice of paper not looking at all remorseful or rehabilitated and then an interview with a passionate Charlie Webster talking about her stance vey emotionally. It's not difficult to understand why he shouldn't be allowed to play professional sport again.

SUFC have handled this very badly.

They should have announced their intentions, with regard to Ched, whilst Ched's released date was many months away, rather than trying to sneak him in through the back door.

The people I am starting to detest  are the vile Rape Councellor Charity types who are using this case to get their  faces/voices on TV/Radio, for their 15 minutes of fame. They really have no shame.

Back training with us = we are going to resign him but first will treat the public the like dumb morons by doing it a bit at a time to avoid as much conflict as possible

I think this is there intention to avoid as much conflict as possible but it having the opposite effect. Should have annouced it straight away they were intending to resign him, this way just making it a bigger story.

I think Yunga and Heppers comments are interesting, I think these threads descend into posters trying to outdo each other with how disgusted they are with Evans, and how they bad they feel for the poor victim.

As Yunga said, no way would our fans be 95% against

a convicted rapist rejoining us if he had been a fairly good lad beforehand who was banging goals in.

Fact is, our fans would be acting exactly the same as United's are now. Some wouldn't believe it was 'proper rape' anyway, and some would think his ability as a player trumps any moral argument.

I know Madines conviction was for something completely different, but the willingness to have him back from a majority on here , because they thought his crime made him a lad and we needed a striker, gave enough evidence to suggest our fans are nowhere near as moralistic as they are making out.

I'd take issue with the idea that a majority on here wanted Madine back.

I agree it wouldn't be 95% against. But it would be a clear majority.

I don't understand what makes the Blunts different to us in that respect.

We have a justice system for a reason:

So decisions about sentencing and punishment can be informed by a court according to the evidence and the appropriate laws of the land.

The media is not a very good justice system- in fact it is very warped and prone to hysterical voices. The media's only interest in this is keeping the story going and generating righteous anger so people can position themselves as 'against rape' etc. The more the story rages, the more the papers sell and the news outlets have something to fill their airspace.

That is why we have opinions about opinions- as in Judy Finnighan getting slaughtered. If anyone speaks up its just more wood on the bonfire. The thought police ready to pounce on anything deemed 'off message'.

We live in strange times. 

He should be allowed to make a living just like any one else.

Yes I would take tied Evans at Wednesday- he is a quality striker.

I completely agree with all you say apart from the last bit.

I don't like the idea that he would become a hero to some people if he started scoring goals. There are a lot of players who are morally reprehensible, violent drunks, wife/girlfriend beaters, racists, fascists, drunk drivers, infact just about every type of behaviour we wouldn't like to encourage in society. Is rape worse than these, in my mind yes although the family of someone killed by a drunk driver might disagree.

Wednesday are in desperate need of a quality striker, the club and all the fans know it, but even if he signed for free and was prepared to earn a pittance I hope and trust that the club would refuse.

I completely agree with all you say apart from the last bit.

I don't like the idea that he would become a hero to some people if he started scoring goals. There are a lot of players who are morally reprehensible, violent drunks, wife/girlfriend beaters, racists, fascists, drunk drivers, infact just about every type of behaviour we wouldn't like to encourage in society. Is rape worse than these, in my mind yes although the family of someone killed by a drunk driver might disagree.

Wednesday are in desperate need of a quality striker, the club and all the fans know it, but even if he signed for free and was prepared to earn a pittance I hope and trust that the club would refuse.

Fair enough.

But morally reprehensible acts are everywhere in society.

People on this very board and probably in this very thread will probably have done something morally reprehensible at one time or another. But we don't need to know each other's moral credentials in order to address each other's opinions.

Similarly, I don't believe someone's questionable history should be a factor in whether they are allowed to contribute to the success of a football club.

The only difference between most offenders in society and footballers in the media.

Most offenders are allowed to get back to their lives. So should footballers- they are only human like the rest of us.

If he became hero worshipped again it would be as a footballer- not as a rapist. It is possible to make that distinction I believe.

Edited by Beholder

United have Ched back with them this week in training

I'd like to think that Wednesday would never stoop so low

What do you think ?

Would SWFC have reinstated rapist Ched Evans?

the moral stance of the 2 clubs on virtually every subject you can mention is as different as black and white...

i think god made the pig club as an opposite to wednesday to show how things can be bad in the world... :st2:

Guest Distraught!

I think Yunga and Heppers comments are interesting, I think these threads descend into posters trying to outdo each other with how disgusted they are with Evans, and how they bad they feel for the poor victim.

This is the part that grinds me. Don't get me wrong here. Rape is rape and non consensual sex is rape. It doesn't condone Evans' actions, but:

When it comes to using up my sympathy banks, this girl does not rate highly on my scales. There are thousands of victims of crime that deserve more sympathy than she does. Yes, I do know what effects rape has on its victims. But what she did on that night was recklessly stupid. She got into a taxi with a man she hardly knew in no fit state to even protect herself then put herself in a position of extreme danger. I know that I will get shredded on here for suggesting this but it could have turned out far worse for her.

Had she been dragged into the car or date drugged, maybe I would take a different view. My guess is that this incident wasn't the first time that she put herself at peril and, who knows, perhaps it won't be the last.

Society should protect people from crime but people also have some kind of responsible to do everything within their power not to put themselves in positions of danger or risk. How many times are people warned about such things throughout their childhood years?

And no, it still doesn't justify Evans' actions or the moral stance of his former club in all of this.

We have a justice system for a reason:

So decisions about sentencing and punishment can be informed by a court according to the evidence and the appropriate laws of the land.

The media is not a very good justice system- in fact it is very warped and prone to hysterical voices. The media's only interest in this is keeping the story going and generating righteous anger so people can position themselves as 'against rape' etc. The more the story rages, the more the papers sell and the news outlets have something to fill their airspace.

That is why we have opinions about opinions- as in Judy Finnighan getting slaughtered. If anyone

speaks up its just more wood on the bonfire. The thought police ready to pounce on anything deemed 'off message'.

We live in strange times.

He should be allowed to make a living just like any one else.

Yes I would take tied Evans at Wednesday- he is a quality striker.

Edited by Dagmeister