Would Sheffield Wednesday have reinstated rapist Ched Evans?

Lets be honest here ,if any have dealt with such as this issue as I have had to do,i don't think anyone would say let him play again , ,try looking at it from the victims point of view rape is a despicable thing for any woman to contemplate yet have to be forced to endure , I have been subject to my family member self harming through the aftermath of such an attack , I see the nightmares she suffers I sat with the psychiatrist with her or have done on a regular basis I had phonecalls at 3 Am in the morning to try to assure her she is safe, this rape happened two years ago but is still vivid in her life ,so please don't tell such as me to get off my high horse , Because if you haven't been there and seen the suffering (and I hope to god you never ever have your daughters ,grandaughters or wives go through it)you will never know the after effects of rape ,

To me he can rot in hell and I would keep poking the fire ,and would do the same to all sex offenders ,

And you know what the worst thing is , I can't do or say anything to make things better , and it crucifies me ,

Edited by trevdi9

Can't understand why on earth the FA wouldn't want him to train with say a Conference side and keep it low key.........unless it's a smokescreen and it didn't come from them.

I'm a Welsh Owl and nothing to do with us and them, rape is a horrid indefensible crime the lad as shown no remorse or sympathy for his victim, so if he is ever allowed to put the Welsh national football shirt on again I'd be ashamed and outraged. I personally hope he never plays for Wales again and if he does I'll not be putting my money into my national football team and the WelshFA. Some things are bigger than football, such as what we were all remembering and honouring on the same day that it was announced that a convicted rapist was returning to football training. I'm glad it's not our club but as it potentially affects my national football team I'm personally dismayed with football in general, allowing convicted criminals of despicable crimes to carry on earning lots of money in the public limelight on top of all the money in the game that's ruined the game along with SKY, the rebranding of the top flight and of the European Cup, I'm on my very last straw of patience with football. It's a disgrace that it was announced and in the news on the same day as people around the world were respecting the fallen victims of armed conflicts throughout history. 

I think he's served his time and should be allowed to get on with his life.

But I think for the club he played for when he committed his crime taking him back means they are in a very small way condoning what he did.

Outside of football would the same company ever take back a worker that committed such a crime when under their employment?

Some fans have very strong views about rape mate.

Some may have their own reasons or experiences in their own lives for having such strong views, others may have families of their own with daughters, wives, girlfriends etc and look at it and think "how would I feel if it were my loved one he'd raped" and then there may be others who think it is a despicable crime, amongst the worst anyone can commit and the stance taken by SUFC, Bundy, his family and his supporters has done nothing but heap further misery on his victim.

Whatever the reasons, it's a very emotive subject that will provoke very strong points of view and to simply equate it to people getting on their "high horses" is in my opinion a very blinkered and ignorant view point to take.

I think in fairness that his 'high horse' phrase was aimed at the suggestion that folk that support Wednesday are inherently more morally decent than those that support United rather than referencing the crime off rape. Edited by Dagmeister

Charlie Webster just been on news night saying she has resigned as patron of Sufc over the issue

Charlie Webster has spoken very well throughout this whole sorry saga and I had no doubt that she would resign from the club should they pursue the course of action which they are doing. Hopefully her words and actions don't fall on deaf ears within the corridors of power in the PFA, FA and Sheffield United, and one of these organisations is willing to make a moral judgement rather than the shameful shirking of responsibility that we're currently witnessing and to which Charlie Webster alludes when she says that 'at no point has anybody made a decision'.

Good on her for making a stand; it can't have been easy to do with all the knuckledraggers who have sought to denigrate her for daring to speak out against their club. She's a lifelong United fan who, through her very public condemnation of the club, will undoubtedly face abuse should she choose to attend a game again in the future. This situation should never have been allowed to arise, but well done to Charlie Webster for trying to force those involved at all levels of the club and beyond to confront the issues they're desperately trying to avoid.

Guest Gershwin

United have Ched back with them this week in training

I'd like to think that Wednesday would never stoop so low

What do you think ?

Would SWFC have reinstated rapist Ched Evans?

Above is the OP.

What do I think? I think this is an issue that has nothing to do with the club I support. 

Another club, one I have no interest in whatsoever, is embroiled in a self-inflicted public relations disaster over this matter. That's this football club's problem, not that of Sheffield Wednesday.

Guest Retfordowl74

You are wrong like so many others. Evans still has 2 and half years of a sentence for rape to serve and with regards to getting on with his life doesnt the victim also have a right to get on with her life instead of being persecuted by this moronic band of low life fed by propaganda?

This statement frightens me.. The two cases are incomparable.

He's a sex offender for Christ sake end of.

He shouldn't be allowed to play professional football again

Guest Retfordowl74

I'm a Welsh Owl and nothing to do with us and them, rape is a horrid indefensible crime the lad as shown no remorse or sympathy for his victim, so if he is ever allowed to put the Welsh national football shirt on again I'd be ashamed and outraged. I personally hope he never plays for Wales again and if he does I'll not be putting my money into my national football team and the WelshFA. Some things are bigger than football, such as what we were all remembering and honouring on the same day that it was announced that a convicted rapist was returning to football training. I'm glad it's not our club but as it potentially affects my national football team I'm personally dismayed with football in general, allowing convicted criminals of despicable crimes to carry on earning lots of money in the public limelight on top of all the money in the game that's ruined the game along with SKY, the rebranding of the top flight and of the European Cup, I'm on my very last straw of patience with football. It's a disgrace that it was announced and in the news on the same day as people around the world were respecting the fallen victims of armed conflicts throughout history.

My feelings too.

Footballs become a joke

Guest Retfordowl74

We took Madine back. In fact we took Madine on with a criminal record.

Ched was a very unlucky young man in my opinion. He has served his time that the judicial system gave him.

He deserves to be able to get on with his life.

Sorry this is the quote I thought id copied 1st time.

This sums up what is wrong with society in so many ways

Well I didn't want us to Madine back for his actions recently, I don't want my kids cheering a supposed role many that has had more than enough chances / warnings and ended up in prison.

I can honestly say if we did what sufc have done with CE then I would return my season tickets immediately!!!!

Some things are way bigger than football,

Guest Distraught!

Going off topic a little, does anybody think the same as I do that Evans will never be the same thirty goal striker anyway? I think this whole saga will have taken too much out of him physically and mentally to have that level of impact. Perhaps the scummers are putting themselves through this PR car crash only to end up with second or third rate clapped out striker they could have got from somewhere else anyway.

We took Madine back. In fact we took Madine on with a criminal record.

Ched was a very unlucky young man in my opinion. He has served his time that the judicial system gave him.

He deserves to be able to get on with his life.

Blimey

Can I ask if you have kids and if so.......

Would you be happy to see them cheering and singing Evans name if he scored a goal for your club?

Going off topic a little, does anybody think the same as I do that Evans will never be the same thirty goal striker anyway? I think this whole saga will have taken too much out of him physically and mentally to have that level of impact. Perhaps the scummers are putting themselves through this PR car crash only to end up with second or third rate clapped out striker they could have got from somewhere else anyway.

He may be able to be the same player but can you imagine the grief he will get at every ground including BL !!!!

That will grind him down eventually and see him retire within a few seasons IMO

He may be able to be the same player physically but can you imagine the grief he will get at every ground including BL !!!!

United are hiding behind the pfa here. They have no moral responsibility towards Evans. Just because they are his last club doesn't mean they have to, or even should, take him back into the fold for training. They could have said no and they would be doing nothing wrong. Evans is free to pursue his career as a footballer, that doesn't mean he can train where he likes. Man u wouldn't take him because he's not good enough. United could have easily said the same thing and avoided all this damage.

This has been on the cards since his conviction. They continued to pay him in prison. Their chairman referred to it as bad luck. Representatives of the club visited him prison after sacking another player for merely typing a comment on twitter about what happened. They made a statement saying reports of him returning to them were damaging, then a few weeks later he returns to them to train. Their statement makes it sound like they are doing the right thing by a man who has a right to play and by the pfa who are made out to have pretty much forced them to allow him back.

This has always been on the cards. He was always going to be offered the chance to return to them, regardless of the damage it causes. He cost 3 million quid and he contributed to them failing to go up. He owes them and they want him.

Those saying we are only point scoring may be right in some cases, I have no doubt that in others though the revulsion would be the same regardless of who he went to. He is a rapist. That's about as low as you can get, along with murder and paedophilia in my eyes. No club should give him a chance, he doesn't deserve it. He could get a different job and earn a living. Instead he will be worshipped by thousands and have his name sung.

Onto the op, I don't know if we would take him back, I'd like to think we wouldn't. If we did though I would have no problems not setting foot in or spending any money at Hillsborough until he had gone. I wouldn't want to think I'm putting money in his pocket and I wouldn't want to explain to my 8 year old what he has done to provoke such Fury in away fans. We would go to Stocksbridge Park Steels for our football fix.

This is bigger than petty rivalry, it's disgusted me to speak to female blades fans who want him to return. I've heard them say she deserved it, it wasn't his fault, it wasn't proper rape or he is innocent but the courts wanted to make an example of a footballer. They are blinkered cos he scored a few goals for them. The fact they had been slagging him off doe being useless the season before is lost on them. As is the probability that he wouldn't have been playing for them that season had the rape charge not been hanging over him, he would have been sold to the highest bidder by mcsue.

This whole saga has been a horrible affair. From the despicable act he committed to the craven way united have handled it all. Nobody comes out of it with any dignity and it has damaged the club. I'm so glad it's not our club that has done this and I hope and pray this never happens to us in the future.

Sorry for the length, my high horse fancied a longer than normal gallop this morning.

Guest Distraught!

He may be able to be the same player but can you imagine the grief he will get at every ground including BL !!!!

He may be able to be the same player physically but can you imagine the grief he will get at every ground including BL !!!!

Yep, it's going to take months to get him match fit, he's going to take dog's abuse everywhere he goes, the questioning of the morality of him playing at all will continue to be questioned in the media, his friends and family will continue to get abuse, and his girlfriend (future wife) can expect to be called slapper or ****. Under those conditions, how can he perform at the levels he played at before?