Would Sheffield Wednesday have reinstated rapist Ched Evans?

The point I was making is that the law isn't infallible. Infact it is very fallible which is why there is the right of appeal.

If, just for the sake of argument Evans was cleared on appeal, (and I am in no way suggesting that will happen) then you would have to consider  that the prior court case was a miscarraige of justice.

I am not suggesting that Evans is innocent, how could I, I haven't seen the evidence presented to the court which decided based on that evidence that he was guilty. He is at the current time a convicted rapist and he has served the time the legal system has decided he should and is now out of prison although subject to ongoing sanctions. Those sanctions don't include never being able to work again.

If he was a street sweeper would you want him to be forced out of that job? What good would that do? He would be unemloyed and have to live off the state for the rest of his days. Isn't it better that a street sweeper be rehabilitated so that he can work again, pay taxes and start to repay society?

If it is right that a street sweeper should go back to work, why not a footballer? Where do you draw the line?

These situations are never straight forward, comfortable or easy for anyone. I'm sure United wish it would all go away.

And just for the record how can you rehabilitate  a person who believes they have done no wrong?  this is where modern day law is soft, if he hasn't won a appeal yet and shows no remorse then keep them in for the entire conviction period!

All this talk of "he's served his time" misses two important points:

1) His CONVICTION is not yet considered a spent conviction under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act.

2) Evans is on the sex offenders register.

These both still apply, so the idea that his offense and conviction are no longer relevant is incorrect. That he has 'served his time' is practically irrelevant.

We took Madine back. In fact we took Madine on with a criminal record.

Ched was a very unlucky young man in my opinion. He has served his time that the judicial system gave him.

He deserves to be able to get on with his life.

Tell that to the innocent young woman he Raped and ruined her life. She will never be able to "get on with her life" . 

Personally I see no reason why the FA can't come through and put forward a proposed plan to stop criminals of specific distinctions (such as rapists, murders and especially those who show no remorse or rehabilitation) from ever working at a club ever again.

If he was a cop, an MP, a doctor a teacher, a child worker or trained in a multitude of other professions he would be saying goodbye to his career let alone pretty much continuing where he left off.

We took Madine back. In fact we took Madine on with a criminal record.

Ched was a very unlucky young man in my opinion. He has served his time that the judicial system gave him.

He deserves to be able to get on with his life.

He served half of his 5 years sentence, that poor lass has a life sentence.

Not read the thread but yes we would. Whatever the fans thought wouldn't make a blind bit of difference he'd be classed as an asset and reinstated immediately.

If you've not read the rest of this thread then you'll have missed my post about what our CEO's response was when asked at the recent fans forum whether we'd sign a convicted rapist.

He said he appreciated that this could be argued from both sides but when you take the moral arguments aside, it would be a big mistake for a family club commercially to sign a rapist and we would not.

Or words to that affect, I'm going from memory here but the general gist was that we wouldn't sign him.

Interesting that when Oscar Pistorius was handed a 5 year jail term the International Paralympic Committee handed him a five year ban in accordance with his sentencing.

Total silence from the FA, except for what chants will acceptable/unacceptable. So they won't moralise over rape, but singing, that's an issue they can take a stand on.

Morals and football two words that do not go together any more.

We're talking about a profession that payy some players over £200K a week.

We're talking about a profession where players deliberately try to cheat to win penaltys

We're talking about a profession where players get brushed and fall over as if they have been shot to get players sent off

We're talking about a profession where clubs overspend, fail to pay bills, go into admin and then carry on as normal

We're talking about a profession where business men come in take huge sums out, feck off and leave the fans to pick up the pieces.

We're talking about a profession where fans are exploited over and over again, new kits, 3rd kits, 4th kits, kits with an upside badge, prices increases year on year

We're talking about a profession where players will release stories to the press if the manager has upset them

We're talking about a profession where TV comes first, doesn't matter if the fans cannot get home till midnight

We're talking about a profession where everyone is in it for themselves.

In short fuuck all surprises me any more in this game we all love

The PFA have suggested to utd that Evans trains with his previous club before he was convicted

This thread is so biased

Just because the PFA have suggested or requested that Evans train with them, United are in no way obliged to say 'yes'. If the club had taken a moral stand on this at any point, rather than simply using the legal argument that he's 'served his time', they could very easily and completely justifiably say 'no', in fact.

They're allowed to have him back, but they're in no way obliged to have him back, which is the line they're trying desperately to blur in the statement they've released.

I find the fact that nobody from the PFA, FA or Sheffield United is willing to condemn Evans' actions by entering in to a discussion of what is morally acceptable to their organisations disgusting, and if it were Sheffield Wednesday behaving in the same manner, I'd be even more disgusted.

I'm just glad it's not my club's name being dragged through the mud like this and I genuinely feel sorry for those United fans who will likely have to decide whether to continue to take their children to a ground where thousands will be chanting the name of a convicted rapist in the near future.

Edited by areNOTwhatTHEYseem

I don't disagree with you at all I'm just stating a fact because some comments are embarrassing

(This isn't aimed at u btw) but some fans are saying utd are a 50/50 split nth us Wednesday fans would be a 95/5 split lol

I'm all for slagging pigs off but some fans need to get off their high horse

Fair enough. I haven't read the whole thread to be honest, so read your comments in isolation.

I'd like to think we'd show a more united front (excuse the pun) if it were Wednesday, but like you, I'm not so certain on that issue, unfortunately. Hopefully we'll never have to find out.

I'm all for slagging pigs off but some fans need to get off their high horse

Some fans have very strong views about rape mate.

Some may have their own reasons or experiences in their own lives for having such strong views, others may have families of their own with daughters, wives, girlfriends etc and look at it and think "how would I feel if it were my loved one he'd raped" and then there may be others who think it is a despicable crime, amongst the worst anyone can commit and the stance taken by SUFC, Bundy, his family and his supporters has done nothing but heap further misery on his victim.

Whatever the reasons, it's a very emotive subject that will provoke very strong points of view and to simply equate it to people getting on their "high horses" is in my opinion a very blinkered and ignorant view point to take.

On the other hand they are his last employer and have some moral responsibility for his rehabilitation.

What moral responsibility do they have?

Really cannot see where you get that from

He will be on the sex offenders register. He will not be allowed to share changing rooms, or play in the same area, or be in the Gym with under 16s.

United are going to have to ban all under 16s [junior players, kids teams, young supporters] from Shirecliffe whenever he is there.

That`s setting a great example for a "family club". He wont sign for any club, because of the disruption this will cause.

As long as he isn't alone around the academy players then there's no issue legally

Just because the PFA have suggested or requested that Evans train with them, United are in no way obliged to say 'yes'. If the club had taken a moral stand on this at any point, rather than simply using the legal argument that he's 'served his time', they could very easily and completely justifiably say 'no', in fact.

They're allowed to have him back, but they're in no way obliged to have him back, which is the line they're trying desperately to blur in the statement they've released.

I find the fact that nobody from the PFA, FA or Sheffield United is willing to condemn Evans' actions by entering in to a discussion of what is morally acceptable to their organisations disgusting, and if it were Sheffield Wednesday behaving in the same manner, I'd be even more disgusted.

I'm just glad it's not my club's name being dragged through the mud like this and I genuinely feel sorry for those United fans who will likely have to decide whether to continue to take their children to a ground where thousands will be chanting the name of a convicted rapist in the near future.

Charlie Webster just been on news night saying she has resigned as patron of Sufc over the issue