Would Sheffield Wednesday have reinstated rapist Ched Evans?

I'm getting splinters in my posterior, this fence is very uncomfortable.

I can see both sides of the arguement. He is a convicted rapist and a club that wants to present a family friendly image can't be comfortable with the damage this situation is doing to their reputation. On the other hand they are his last employer and have some moral responsibility for his rehabilitation.

To be honest I think they probably wish the whole situation would just go away.

I'm glad it's not Wednesday in this situation.

On what level do they have any moral responsibility towards Evans he was 23 years old ?

That is a nonsense 

I'm getting splinters in my posterior, this fence is very uncomfortable.

I can see both sides of the arguement. He is a convicted rapist and a club that wants to present a family friendly image can't be comfortable with the damage this situation is doing to their reputation. On the other hand they are his last employer and have some moral responsibility for his rehabilitation.

To be honest I think they probably wish the whole situation would just go away.

I'm glad it's not Wednesday in this situation.

I like your intelligent approach to this though. It seems fair and rational and doesn't bring all the emotive nonsense into it

It's definitely a tricky one - complicated by the fact that he's their top scoring superstar striker

Wonder how it would impact the decisions if it were a bog standard left back ?

Owlstalk Shop

And if all "options the law provide" fail?

It is not a witch hunt it is a simple answer to a simple question, he's had the privilege of innocence before guilt, now he has the shackles of guilty till proven innocent if the latter happens it's not an issue is it?

All the options of the law won't fail, they can't, they are what they are. They can be exhausted however, if he exhausts all the option for appeal and the conviction isn't overturned then he will forever be considered a rapist in the eyes of the law, just as he is now.

He will be on the sex offenders register. He will not be allowed to share changing rooms, or play in the same area, or be in the Gym with under 16s.

United are going to have to ban all under 16s [junior players, kids teams, young supporters] from Shirecliffe whenever he is there.

That`s setting a great example for a "family club". He wont sign for any club, because of the disruption this will cause.

I like your intelligent approach to this though. It seems fair and rational and doesn't bring all the emotive nonsense into it

It's definitely a tricky one - complicated by the fact that he's their top scoring superstar striker

Wonder how it would impact the decisions if it were a bog standard left back ?

Wonder how their fans would feel, the parents especially if their neighbour got arrested for raping a young woman. Would they openly welcome him back to their community on his release?

They seem happy to pay towards his wages and cheer his name just because he can score.

Seriously can not believe i have seen another comment about wrongful convictions of guildford 4 and birmingham 6 etc!!!!!!!

These were cases where evidence was tampered with by the police!!!! 

The likelihood of getting convictions in rape cases is very very low, intact sometimes near impossible yet this guy based on evidence provided was found guilty and had appeal rejected. 

Are we really going to bring miscarriage of justice into this case and seriously compare this with cases like the Birmingham 6?  I tell you what football fans seriously worry me sometimes

Seeing the latest statement anyone else think the PFA are equally morally bankrupt. As i posted earlier in my profession and many others conviction of an offence like this would lead to expulsion - even though it isn't specifically related to the work undertaken

They should not hide behind the right to work argument.

Seriously can not believe i have seen another comment about wrongful convictions of guildford 4 and birmingham 6 etc!!!!!!!

These were cases where evidence was tampered with by the police!!!! 

The likelihood of getting convictions in rape cases is very very low, intact sometimes near impossible yet this guy based on evidence provided was found guilty and had appeal rejected. 

Are we really going to bring miscarriage of justice into this case and seriously compare this with cases like the Birmingham 6?  I tell you what football fans seriously worry me sometimes

The point I was making is that the law isn't infallible. Infact it is very fallible which is why there is the right of appeal.

If, just for the sake of argument Evans was cleared on appeal, (and I am in no way suggesting that will happen) then you would have to consider  that the prior court case was a miscarraige of justice.

I am not suggesting that Evans is innocent, how could I, I haven't seen the evidence presented to the court which decided based on that evidence that he was guilty. He is at the current time a convicted rapist and he has served the time the legal system has decided he should and is now out of prison although subject to ongoing sanctions. Those sanctions don't include never being able to work again.

If he was a street sweeper would you want him to be forced out of that job? What good would that do? He would be unemloyed and have to live off the state for the rest of his days. Isn't it better that a street sweeper be rehabilitated so that he can work again, pay taxes and start to repay society?

If it is right that a street sweeper should go back to work, why not a footballer? Where do you draw the line?

These situations are never straight forward, comfortable or easy for anyone. I'm sure United wish it would all go away.

Edited by prowl

Seeing the latest statement anyone else think the PFA are equally morally bankrupt. As i posted earlier in my profession and many others conviction of an offence like this would lead to expulsion - even though it isn't specifically related to the work undertaken

They should not hide behind the right to work argument.

Not sure what to think of this mk.

Like you, if I did anything like this I would be barred from practice. But I guess any professions code of practice is based on what standards are deemed necessary in order to do work in that profession.

Lets not be fooled, although termed a 'professional footballer', just because a bloke (or woman) gets paid to play the game, football is not a profession (?)

It seems that to some people, personal standards do not matter, (including the PFA) but to others (including some united supporting friends,) they do.

I personally would not want to contribute to  paying Evans one penny of his (probably ridiculous for most people) wage. Whether that would keep me away from watching 'my' team (if here were a Wednesday player,) I don't know

Not sure what to think of this mk.

Like you, if I did anything like this I would be barred from practice. But I guess any professions code of practice is based on what standards are deemed necessary in order to do work in that profession.

Lets not be fooled, although termed a 'professional footballer', just because a bloke (or woman) gets paid to play the game, football is not a profession (?)

It seems that to some people, personal standards do not matter, (including the PFA) but to others (including some united supporting friends,) they do.

I personally would not want to contribute to  paying Evans one penny of his (probably ridiculous for most people) wage. Whether that would keep me away from watching 'my' team (if here were a Wednesday player,) I don't know

You'd probably have to give up your sky subscription as well.

You'd probably have to give up your sky subscription as well.

It was either that or me and me kids season tickets wot had to go a couple of years back mate. We still have our season tickets. Take very little interest in the premier league now.....and the way we're goin', don't think I'll be taking much interest anytime soon

The point I was making is that the law isn't infallible. Infact it is very fallible which is why there is the right of appeal.

If, just for the sake of argument Evans was cleared on appeal, (and I am in no way suggesting that will happen) then you would have to consider  that the prior court case was a miscarraige of justice.

I am not suggesting that Evans is innocent, how could I, I haven't seen the evidence presented to the court which decided based on that evidence that he was guilty. He is at the current time a convicted rapist and he has served the time the legal system has decided he should and is now out of prison although subject to ongoing sanctions. Those sanctions don't include never being able to work again.

If he was a street sweeper would you want him to be forced out of that job? What good would that do? He would be unemloyed and have to live off the state for the rest of his days. Isn't it better that a street sweeper be rehabilitated so that he can work again, pay taxes and start to repay society?

If it is right that a street sweeper should go back to work, why not a footballer? Where do you draw the line?

These situations are never straight forward, comfortable or easy for anyone. I'm sure United wish it would all go away.

But unless new information is presented that changes the mind of the jury he will have another appeal rejected.

To be fair this is not a normal situation, would you allow a doctor to carry on practice if he was a convicted rapist? would anyone working with children be allowed to continue in that line of work? would a taxi driver be allowed to continue if found guilty?

The answer is no! He should not be allowed to take any position where he is able to influence the public imo, he obviously sees this as only cheating and if by some massively strange way he gets a miracle on appeal he still believes what he did was only wrong to his girlfriend.

He turned up through a back door of a hotel and came in to a room uninvited except by text from his friend and also left through the fire escape! all this whilst apparently his mates were filming!!!!! you really think these kind of people should be involved in jobs anywhere near public?

This is the problem nowadays society is soft on morals and the only jobs that should be made available to people convicted of these kind of crimes should be ones that have no effect on the general public.

If i was a Utd fan i would not take my sons or daughters anywhere near the club if he was employed, if i had a son or daughter in the football set up i wouldn't feel comfortable that the club allowed people like this to work with them and i wouldn't be happy that he would be around to effect them in any way shape or form mentally or physically.

At worst if he is stupid enough to not acknowledge this was rape then at least show some remorse for his actions of how his actions effected the girl. He has no thoughts for anything apart from getting on with his life and how he can still make vast sums of money whilst doing it.

Give him a job sweeping the roads if we must and pay him minimum wage, let him work in a sewerage plant on minimum wage, keep him away from any positions of influence and pay him the peanuts he now deserves.

and just for the record for every miscarriage of justice there will be a similar amount of miscarriages where people have walked for technicalities just like in most rape cases.

Edited by kidc77

Dirty ,filthy rapist , simple as that . ive posted many times on here how i was against us taking that moron Madine back, he should never have been allowed within 50 miles of Hillsbro again after he dragged our clubs name through the dirt. My view on the Rapist is the same. NEVER,EVER,EVER .