Would Sheffield Wednesday have reinstated rapist Ched Evans?

I would not have wanted Hughes here, but I think Hughes has shown remorse for what he had done although that means nothing to the victims. Whereas Ched continues to protest his innocence, shows no remorse to the victim whose life has been ruined and the idiot still doesn't understand what rape means.

I would not have wanted Hughes either, what he did cannot be taken back and to leave the scene of the crime and try to cover it up was even worse.

However, as mind numbingly stupid as Hughes was, he didn't set out with the intention of causing anyone any harm and as you say, has shown remorse for his ill-judged actions.

Evans set out knowing exactly what he was going to do, preying on a clearly vulnerable person entirely for his own gain. Some of his comments in the process of the case and his complete lack of remorse show what he is all about.

Their club sacked a player for tweeting about the case - a player of no substantial value to the team but they are reluctant to do anything against the player who actually committed the crime.

Edited by Guest

It's not just that he's a rapist though is it, he's thumbing his nose at the system, he still believes even after convicted by judge and jury with appeals and 'serving his time'

That he did no wrong!

That is the game changer for me, he has no concept of right from wrong, that is the person they are going to re employ, I wouldn't want him around my friends and family and or being paid by the club I am associated with.

He needs to apologise and start showing regret for the right reasons not just thinking he cheated on his girlfriend for goodness sake.

Edited by OzOwl

It's not just that he's a rapist though is it, he's thumbing his nose at the system, he still believes even after convicted by judge and jury with appeals and 'serving his time'

That he did no wrong!

That is the game changer for me, he has no concept of right from wrong, that is the person they are going to re employ, I wouldn't want him around my friends and family and or being paid by the club I am associated with.

He needs to apologise and start showing regret for the right reasons not just thinking he cheated on his girlfriend for goodness sake.

Thing is his legal team are pushing for a review - what happens when that's turned down - does he just say 'well, fec em, i'm still innocent' Where would this leave the pigs?

Notice there's nowt on their OS - hopefully embarrased

The moral outrage on here is a little ott to be honest.

Madine came back into our club with very little objection.

Different levels of crime, obviously, but the man has been convicted and has served his time.  The Pigs know they are in a very sensitive position and are handling it with kid gloves. 

Best outcome would be for them to sign him on a 3 year contract on 10K per week, hopefully within 5 minutes of his comeback someone breaks his f**king leg or better still his neck.

He was convicted of the serious offence of rape. Breaking someones neck used to be the punishment for murder. We don't even do that these days. I accept you don't like what he did neither do I but the punishment should fit the crime which is why we have courts and judges. Excessive punishment and wrongful punishment is what you get with vigilantyism which is also a crime.

That he did no wrong!

He's not thumbing his nose at the system, he's using all the options the law provides to over turn what he and his lawyers consider a miscarriage of justice. It's part of the checks and balances in the legal system. Remember the Guildford 4, Derek Bentley, the Birmingham 6 and many more.

I'm not for or against Ched Evans, I don't want to defend him, he is nothing to me but this is turning into a witch hunt. We'll be burning people at the stake if some of you had your way.

I have every sympathy for the victim and her family.

He was convicted of the serious offence of rape. Breaking someones neck used to be the punishment for murder. We don't even do that these days. I accept you don't like what he did neither do I but the punishment should fit the crime which is why we have courts and judges. Excessive punishment and wrongful punishment is what you get with vigilantyism which is also a crime.

He's not thumbing his nose at the system, he's using all the options the law provides to over turn what he and his lawyers consider a miscarriage of justice. It's part of the checks and balances in the legal system. Remember the Guildford 4, Derek Bentley, the Birmingham 6 and many more.

I'm not for or against Ched Evans, I don't want to defend him, he is nothing to me but this is turning into a witch hunt. We'll be burning people at the stake if some of you had your way.

Good post

What's your thoughts on Sheffield United taking him back into their fold ?

Owlstalk Shop

The moral outrage on here is a little ott to be honest.

Madine came back into our club with very little objection.

Different levels of crime, obviously, but the man has been convicted and has served his time.  The Pigs know they are in a very sensitive position and are handling it with kid gloves. 

No Madine didn't and Madine didn't rape anyone

United have Ched back with them this week in training

I'd like to think that Wednesday would never stoop so low

What do you think ?

Would SWFC have reinstated rapist Ched Evans?

United haven't re-instated him.  He's only training with them.  He hasn't played for nearly 3 years so I'd be surprised if he ever played at League one level again in any case.

And I would hope that if he'd been with us we wouldn't re-sign him.

But we took nutter Madine back, and signed Nile Ranger so who knows?

And if all "options the law provide" fail?

It is not a witch hunt it is a simple answer to a simple question, he's had the privilege of innocence before guilt, now he has the shackles of guilty till proven innocent if the latter happens it's not an issue is it?

There are lots of Owls me included that didn't want Madine retained and said so at the time but the level of Madines crime does not even begin to compare with Bundys

Sadly in the eyes of the law his more heinous crime was only worth 2.5 years in prison.

I also think Madine should have been fired.

Sheffield United though haven't done anything yet. He's only training with them. Madine walked straight back into the squad.

It's a moral nightmare to be fair, I just think some of the people saying we'd never do it, never give abuse etc. is a little ott.

Good post

What's your thoughts on Sheffield United taking him back into their fold ?

I'm getting splinters in my posterior, this fence is very uncomfortable.

I can see both sides of the arguement. He is a convicted rapist and a club that wants to present a family friendly image can't be comfortable with the damage this situation is doing to their reputation. On the other hand they are his last employer and have some moral responsibility for his rehabilitation.

To be honest I think they probably wish the whole situation would just go away.

I'm glad it's not Wednesday in this situation.

United haven't re-instated him.  He's only training with them.  He hasn't played for nearly 3 years so I'd be surprised if he ever played at League one level again in any case.

And I would hope that if he'd been with us we wouldn't re-sign him.

But we took nutter Madine back, and signed Nile Ranger so who knows?

They have welcomed him back for free use of their facilities though. I haven't played professional football in the last 3 years either though I have played at a higher level than he has in that time. I  bet I wouldn't get free daily use of their facilities. They are doing this for a reason - in the hope he can play at that level again.