Would Sheffield Wednesday have reinstated rapist Ched Evans?

You have to look at the actions of the club over the Paulo Di Canio incident which was a millions miles away from the actions of a rapist

What I was going to say.

We do have a certain percentage of morons who would have welcomed him back with open arms but I think 95% would have been disgusted if the club even contemplated it.

The feeling from the pigs is about 50 50

We took Madine back. In fact we took Madine on with a criminal record.

Ched was a very unlucky young man in my opinion. He has served his time that the judicial system gave him.

He deserves to be able to get on with his life.

You are wrong like so many others. Evans still has 2 and half years of a sentence for rape to serve and with regards to getting on with his life doesnt the victim also have a right to get on with her life instead of being persecuted by this moronic band of low life fed by propaganda?

Ched was a very unlucky young man in my opinion. He has served his time that the judicial system gave him.

I wonder if her mum and dad think that way. The man is flippingscum. UTO

Unlucky why? Because he raped somebody and didn't get away with it?

Guest Chris.H.

But he hasn't served his time (as far as I understand it) and is on licence/parole for another 2 and a half years.

Maybe at that point he will have served his sentence but they are dragging Sheffield through the mud with this decision, not just United.

Guest Distraught!

Has he ?

Really?

Technically, yes he has served the custodial part of his sentence. He is at liberty now to pursue a career. It is for the potential employers to decide the morality of giving him a further chance.

Sheffield United fans must make up most of Dapper Laughs fanbase.

Madine and Evans crimes are nowhere similar, both are somewhat moronic built on arrogance but smashing a tail in the face in a night club and looking for the drunkest woman on the kebab shop floor to take advantage of is totally different, that woman didn't even go back with Evans he just orchestrated it.

He needed to be set an example of, loads of young lads have gone many years not knowing what constitutes as rape or harassment.

Edited by RobbieOwler

a) Won't have served his sentence until April 2017 - just because there is not enough space in prisons so people get out early, doesn't mean criminals have 'served their time'

b) He hasn't shown the slightest sign of remorse, apparently because raping a very drunk girl and clearing off via the fire escape once he realised what trouble he was in is an entirely condonable act in his eyes.

c) I take pride in Wednesday being a community club, and one which is largely honest. That's why I hated the spell under Dave Allen. That's why I was so proud of Howard Wilkinson attempting to keep the club out of administration instead of taking the easy way out. That's why I am glad I don't support the Leeds Uniteds of the world who have stung good people out of money with dishonest practices.

d) I was hoping the club would get rid of Gary Madine given that his 'second chance' had come long before he was convicted. I am not at all happy with the way this was handled, but also accept that much graver crimes have been forgiven by other football clubs in comparison.

Taking the above points into account I fully believe the club would not take him back in the same situation. But if they did, the club would be hugely tainted in my eyes. As much as I love Wednesday, dealing with issues such as rape in the way United have would have seen me turn my back on them and just continue to watch other football as a neutral.

Edited by milanowl

The judicial system in this country is that whilst you may be sentenced to 5 years the reality is you will serve half of this in prison and the rest (or part of the rest) on some form of licence

If I recall Madine did not serve 100% of his sentence in prison

Evans is not being treated any differently to someone who had commtted the same offence / same sentence

Whether he should be allowed back in football is another matter entirely, I am torn between the view that at the end of the prison sentence you should be allowed to integrate back into society - but at a level where you can earn at that level and be an influence on youngsters doesn't seem right. In certain professions, certainly my own in accountancy, returning would not be an option. I would have been expelled from membership