Hirsty Bar returns (Part 2)

Any chance these events could take place on a Saturday night for us out-of-towners?

I know you've previously explained why they couldn't happen on a Friday.

We would never get any players or management team to attend on a Saturday , never mind Hirsty and JP who both work from before midday at the club on matchdays

The numbers have dramatically declined

What would you say the main reason for that is ?

If we go back to the days of them being held at Niagara after the club stopped us using their faciilties then we were lucky to get 70!

Prior to that we held them in the sheridan suite with around 120-130 attending.

Tell you what Neil , why don't you help us out and organise the next one in say February so we can learn from your vast experience of how to make it successful.

We could do with an events organiser so we can run events more regularly for the average supporter.

Raffle

Standup Bingo

Jesus - get with the times.. 

Stop with the corporate nonsense and appeal to the average fan who doesn't hob nob with the corporate hospitality lot and your attendances WILL soar

What corporate nonsense , ???? I don't think anyone there last night (except Hirsty) who uses the corporate hospitality at Hillsborough 

On a serious note things like standup bingo and raffles are the stuff of people who have been living in 'corporate' land too long

Needs scrapping asap and something new/fresh/exciting and less stuffy coming in

What do you propose to take over from stand up bingo and the raffle. They are quick and easy to run and raise much needed money for the academy. Wherever you go these activities are still used and enjoyed by many and we don't live in corporate land as you call it. If there is a better way to raise money I'm sure many committees of charity's all over would love to hear from you. Perhaps you think the best way to raise money is to put a begging quote on the end of every posting, " Please donate to Owlstalk "

I personally wouldn't walk across the road to play bingo but the way Hirsty does it is unique and creates FUN, something I believe you have advocated many times.

I'm not someone who blindly follows Wednesdayite in whatever they do , in fact I attended the initial new supporters club in their initial and only meeting and you did your best to derail that with your unwarranted comments and never gave it a chance. If they had followed it through I would have joined,not to resign from Wednesdayite but to hope somewhere along the way a combined effort by the two groups would be of benefit to Sheffield Wednesday which should be all our aims.

I am not one of those supporters who sit behind a typewriter all day writing witty and sometimes vulgar replies to fellow supporters. 

I often wonder how many of the critics on here actually attend matches and I'm not talking about people who genuinely can't afford it or through work or distance problems.

I am now in my 71st year and attend every game home and away and without Wednesdayite it would be difficult to do because I now have to have oxygen for 15 hours a day and I never fail to receive help if I need it to carry my oxygen bottle. They also allow me to sit in the front seat on the coach to give me more room with the bottle. 

I will admit that you are far cleverer than me and you will no doubt come back with your usual repartee but one thing you will never be is as bigger supporter as me.

PAUL, don't rise to the remarks by some, you are a lot better than that. You know that you are doing a good job ,I know you are doing a good job and the majority of the members know you're doing a good job so keep up the good work whilst ever you feel you can. I don't necessarily agree with what has been going on over the last few years but I'm confident you will sort it out. 

If we go back to the days of them being held at Niagara after the club stopped us using their faciilties then we were lucky to get 70!

Prior to that we held them in the sheridan suite with around 120-130 attending.

Tell you what Neil , why don't you help us out and organise the next one in say February so we can learn from your vast experience of how to make it successful.

We could do with an events organiser so we can run events more regularly for the average supporter.

I accept your challenge dependant upon the date (I have some gigs that I'm promoting back end of Feb)

Drop me an email tonight and I'll start the ball rolling

I'm happy to step up and demonstrate how it could and should be done just so people are aware I'm not just spouting off in this thread to cause trouble

Owlstalk Shop

What do you propose to take over from stand up bingo and the raffle. They are quick and easy to run and raise much needed money for the academy. Wherever you go these activities are still used and enjoyed by many and we don't live in corporate land as you call it. If there is a better way to raise money I'm sure many committees of charity's all over would love to hear from you. Perhaps you think the best way to raise money is to put a begging quote on the end of every posting, " Please donate to Owlstalk "

I personally wouldn't walk across the road to play bingo but the way Hirsty does it is unique and creates FUN, something I believe you have advocated many times.

I'm not someone who blindly follows Wednesdayite in whatever they do , in fact I attended the initial new supporters club in their initial and only meeting and you did your best to derail that with your unwarranted comments and never gave it a chance. If they had followed it through I would have joined,not to resign from Wednesdayite but to hope somewhere along the way a combined effort by the two groups would be of benefit to Sheffield Wednesday which should be all our aims.

I am not one of those supporters who sit behind a typewriter all day writing witty and sometimes vulgar replies to fellow supporters. 

I often wonder how many of the critics on here actually attend matches and I'm not talking about people who genuinely can't afford it or through work or distance problems.

I am now in my 71st year and attend every game home and away and without Wednesdayite it would be difficult to do because I now have to have oxygen for 15 hours a day and I never fail to receive help if I need it to carry my oxygen bottle. They also allow me to sit in the front seat on the coach to give me more room with the bottle. 

I will admit that you are far cleverer than me and you will no doubt come back with your usual repartee but one thing you will never be is as bigger supporter as me.

PAUL, don't rise to the remarks by some, you are a lot better than that. You know that you are doing a good job ,I know you are doing a good job and the majority of the members know you're doing a good job so keep up the good work whilst ever you feel you can. I don't necessarily agree with what has been going on over the last few years but I'm confident you will sort it out. 

Good post and I agree with much of it. 

Nobody has ever doubted that the good causes Wednesdayite have helped out with in the past have been worthy - I've never ever said that.

Bingo and raffles are things of the past however - 1970's working mans club stuff, and the image of that will put people off attending and hence why the events don't sell anywhere near as well as they could/should do.

It's not the bingo/raffle themselves that's the issue, but the image it portrays which is one that Wednesdayite (and any other supporters group) shouldn't go anywhere near. (that of an old working mans club, men in backrooms of boozers etc)

Owlstalk Shop

We would never get any players or management team to attend on a Saturday , never mind Hirsty and JP who both work from before midday at the club on matchdays

Shame that.

Bless 'em, sure they could put on a brave face for a few hours on a Saturday evening.

Bet they'd be a sell out on a Saturday night after a home match or short trip away.

Good post and I agree with much of it.

Nobody has ever doubted that the good causes oWednesdayite have helped out with in the past have been worthy - I've never ever said that.

Bingo and raffles are things of the past however - 1970's working mans club stuff, and the image of that will put people off attending and hence why the events don't sell anywhere near as well as they could/should do.

It's not the bingo/raffle themselves that's the issue, but the image it portrays which is one that Wednesdayite (and any other supporters group) shouldn't go anywhere near. (that of an old working mans club, men in backrooms of boozers etc)

I concur Supporters Groups need a re- vamp and whilst i didn't like the criticism dished out by Neil the bottom line is he is right. It needs a completely higher level approach and folk who do this for a living and have the time to organise

Guest Steve French

I've got to say, for what it's worth, I've always said it is great that Wednesdayite does many good things for the club and the community and I don't ever want my comments on certain issues to ever take away from that. And I know that people give up their valuable time to do hard work for very little reward, which is to be praised.

But the right person has to be in the right role otherwise it's a thankless task for that person and the whole project will ultimately suffer. Unfortunately it's hard to attract the right person or the role in most volunteer situations.

And Neil is right. I work bloody damn hard, often in two or three cities a day, sometimes abroad, often on weekends and as a result the amount of time I can dedicate to getting to games or events these days is so little. Does that make me less of a fan? Maybe. But my family comes first and my business come second.

So if i have a few free hours on an evening and I'm looking for something to do a Hirsty's Bar could be ideal. But then when I consider it is basically a handful of old blokes telling a few jokes and a spot of bingo an a raffle I may as well cut out the drive or train and just walk to my local WMC. True, I am denying deserving people some cash but it just isn't enough to tempt me in these days when I'm so busy with life.

That's probably the viewpoint of the average supporter. Not just 60/70 die hards who would turn up to Hirsty dropping trowel on Waddlers chest.

Everyone in this thread agrees that I'm right

Except those delivering these events

Every one in this thread does not agree that you are right and you still have not put forward any viable alternatives to stand up bingo and raffles as an alternative to raise money. 

Guest Steve French

Yup. He is you know.

I don't get whats so hard to grasp either. It doesn't mean that the cause isn't a good one, it doesn't mean that those involved with Wednesdayite aren't doing something good for the club/community. Just that the event is like something from the 70's.

Look at it from this point of view. You're 30-40. Got a young kid or two. Your work takes up 9/10 hours a day, many weekends and often takes you away from home. You get an early finish or day off one Thursday and your missus has taken the kids to her mums for the night. The world is your oyster. You can:

A) Travel 45 minutes to S6 for a spot of bingo, a raffle and a few jokes and pay the ticket price and travel costs.

B) Walk to the local for pub quiz, open the box etc type club fun. No fee to pay, stagger home in no time.

C) Do something entirely different.

What would you do? In all honesty?