Academy

It sounds like an overall improvement to me and surely the hard work of the Academy manager and his team needs praise, I can recall a few years ago it was said that our club didn't have a scouting network and that we needed to build a club and that starts with the academy foundations.

If we are producing players like Palmer, Stobbs, Wildsmith, etc now without having any networks and playing second fiddle to them across the city what can we achieve in 10/15 years time?

Scorlines like 55-4, 12-5, 18,2 don't mean a great deal at this age, but it does tell me that we must have some talented kids and surely the performances that they are producing are happening now and that's all you can go with what you can see now! and have the scouts for the late developers!

It sounds like an overall improvement to me and surely the hard work of the Academy manager and his team needs praise, I can recall a few years ago it was said that our club didn't have a scouting network and that we needed to build a club and that starts with the academy foundations.

If we are producing players like Palmer, Stobbs, Wildsmith, etc now without having any networks and playing second fiddle to them across the city what can we achieve in 10/15 years time?

Scorlines like 55-4, 12-5, 18,2 don't mean a great deal at this age, but it does tell me that we must have some talented kids and surely the performances that they are producing are happening now and that's all you can go with what you can see now! and have the scouts for the late developers!

spot on

It was this year's under 9's

Yes was this years U9s that beat them today who somebody said had lost best players to utd last year. The 8s are shaping up to be even better and believe the 10s beat utd 21-4 on Wednesday aswell.

The 8s went to a tournament at Blackburn that also had the likes of Middlesboro n wolves and remain unbeaten. Last week they also beat the famous wallsend boys who was full off players signed by Newcastle n Sunderland. They wasn't expecting to get beat 11-3. Good things happening at the lower reaches of the academy 👍

Guest Mancunian_Owl

Nice to see coaching standards improving at the academy. My mates two lads were their a couple of years back, he told me one of his lads age groups u11s at the time I think lost 22-0 at Man United! & told me regular hammerings of scores well in to double figures were a common feature along all the age groups.

He was very critical at the standard of coaching from the community & part time coaches who were taking the sessions & running the teams.

Sounds as if we have ex players there now who have played at pro level & know what's required not ex sunday morning pub footballers!

Hope this turnaround continues and we attract the better players,we don't want them forging a career at downtown, rundown Bacon lane!

Ex pro's often make the worst Kids coaches, the world has changed since they were kids.

Unless your name is Guy Whittingham who is the Fa's Head of Youth Development

Guest Mancunian_Owl

good to hear the academy is going well, hopefully they will sort out their training facilities and get them up to speed.

Putting a decent bar in their would be a good start ;) 

good to hear the academy is going well, hopefully they will sort out their training facilities and get them up to speed.

Putting a decent bar in their would be a good start ;)

Yeah when you go around the other academies that have had stints in premier like Blackburn derby and wolves you see we are far behind in that respect. The coaching structure is there and the hardwork. Just needs investment on facilities now

Guest Mancunian_Owl

Yeah when you go around the other academies that have had stints in premier like Blackburn derby and wolves you see we are far behind in that respect. The coaching structure is there and the hardwork. Just needs investment on facilities now

Coaching comes first, sounds like they are doing better. Kids football is fickle, and whilst results are important development of players should come ahead of this.

Its often missed up and down the country but in reality parents only want their kids to play for winning teams. I wish it was different but its not. 

Hope some of those lads go on to pull on SWFC jersey, too few have in my opinion actually come through the ranks and I would be thrilled to see a squad of ex-academy players. Even if it meant we never got promoted to the prem.

Coaching comes first, sounds like they are doing better. Kids football is fickle, and whilst results are important development of players should come ahead of this.

Its often missed up and down the country but in reality parents only want their kids to play for winning teams. I wish it was different but its not.

Hope some of those lads go on to pull on SWFC jersey, too few have in my opinion actually come through the ranks and I would be thrilled to see a squad of ex-academy players. Even if it meant we never got promoted to the prem.

I agree, it's easy to put out a team of 6ft 8 year olds and win every game. But these lads are playing the right way and the quality and intensity of some of the sessions have to be seen to be believed. They are doing things at 7 and 8 we wasn't doing at 12.

lads I really love reading this thread its brilliant, keep updating us! Our academy though doesn't do enough for me to get good news stories out about all ages, when i read our program it's normally U21's or U18's when ŵe go to Charlton, Doncaster or City we see there younger ages in the program or on the pitch, it must be inspiring for a young lad to see them self in the program or on the pitch. Good work lads!

Guest s11 owl

u8's and u9's should really not be competing at such a level. surely it's about nurturing talent

otherwise they will be sick of football by the time they reach 15,16?

Yes was this years U9s that beat them today who somebody said had lost best players to utd last year. /quote]

At under 7 and 8s I witnessed the endless attempts by our scouts to prize lads from utd. Wednesday supporters that preferred utds academy over there own. These boys are still at utd and after speaking to there dad's, their sons didn't play in this game. These lads are in utds Elite team. They Said that this game was a mixture of development and triallists. Hopefully your right and they are hiding for making a wrong decision last year. Either way, I'm glad that the positivety around middlwood rd has improved. We might actually create another full England international one day soon.