Academy

My lad is U8 age group. Took him to the elite development squad sessions in the early summer, think they were impressed with him but unfortunately he didn't really like it. They were in the dome and it was really hot and he didn't know anyone so was a bit nervy seemed to be his issues. He said he didn't want to go anymore and was getting upset so we knocked it on the head.

Typically, he has now decided he wants to go back but there are no spaces. Going to see if we can take him back again at end of season. He's been approached by barnsley and Rotherham recently but he says he'd rather play for Wednesday. Gonna stick with his current team for now and see. He's only 8 so not gonna get into a stress about it, just want him to enjoy himself.

For the record, we only saw a couple of sessions so can't really judge but it seemed decent coaching.

Edited by latemodelchild

Nice to see coaching standards improving at the academy. My mates two lads were their a couple of years back, he told me one of his lads age groups u11s at the time I think lost 22-0 at Man United! & told me regular hammerings of scores well in to double figures were a common feature along all the age groups.

He was very critical at the standard of coaching from the community & part time coaches who were taking the sessions & running the teams.

Sounds as if we have ex players there now who have played at pro level & know what's required not ex sunday morning pub footballers!

Hope this turnaround continues and we attract the better players,we don't want them forging a career at downtown, rundown Bacon lane!

Nice to see coaching standards improving at the academy. My mates two lads were their a couple of years back, he told me one of his lads age groups u11s at the time I think lost 22-0 at Man United! & told me regular hammerings of scores well in to double figures were a common feature along all the age groups.

He was very critical at the standard of coaching from the community & part time coaches who were taking the sessions & running the teams.

Sounds as if we have ex players there now who have played at pro level & know what's required not ex sunday morning pub footballers!

Hope this turnaround continues and we attract the better players,we don't want them forging a career at downtown, rundown Bacon lane!

I was critical myself of things happening 2 years ago. People at the club admit the standards were low and have been determined to put it right. It's just the start but I think the acknowledgement of problems was the first step. Still a lot of work and a long way to go but for the first time in years it's moving in the right direction.

The facilities still are a problem but everything else is now in place.

My lad is U8 age group. Took him to the elite development squad sessions in the early summer, think they were impressed with him but unfortunately he didn't really like it. They were in the dome and it was really hot and he didn't know anyone so was a bit nervy seemed to be his issues. He said he didn't want to go anymore and was getting upset so we knocked it on the head.

Typically, he has now decided he wants to go back but there are no spaces. Going to see if we can take him back again at end of season. He's been approached by barnsley and Rotherham recently but he says he'd rather play for Wednesday. Gonna stick with his current team for now and see. He's only 8 so not gonna get into a stress about it, just want him to enjoy himself.

For the record, we only saw a couple of sessions so can't really judge but it seemed decent coaching.

Pm me please

The academy has always been the poor relation at our club, but since MM has been here things have improved.

We are building the club up the proper, and only, way from the bottom up, that is the only way to give the club,any club, a chance of lasting success, there are no short cuts.

Look at the success! reported in a later post, of the way the u18's and the development squad are doing, it shows to me that we are not only developing our own home grown players, but also our own homegrown coaches with the likes of Bully and Haslam.

I am not sure hammering teams by scoring 55 or conceding 22 is the best success measure at this level. It is good for then to win, or at least not continually lose, but isn't the key aim to develop them. We've debated this plenty of times in the past but in my view it is more about developing technique, aptitude, desire (I don't mean we shouldn't want to win) etc than hammering every team. The winning at all costs mentality at this level is what leads to picking the biggest strongest lads. I am not for a moment suggesting this is what we are doing, but we aren't in the 80's and 90's anymore.

It's good news but let's not get carried away. Under 8s is a development squad only. Under 10s are 9/10 yr old lads that will be fortunate if 3 of them get to u14s. Big strides are needed at 15 and 16s. When we have boys at 15 playing school boy international fixtures, I'll believe the hype. Right now, United still have the upper hand where it matters. It's gunna take a miracle for us to turn out England internationals like they've done. But bringing in the likes of Hirsty, Hallm and Weaver can only be good. Had the takeover happened, the facilities would have improved. Including a puncture repair on the dome.

This is quite true, my lads lucky enough to have been in program since under 8's, eight years later there's only three from the original squad of twelve left.

Between the ages u9's and u16's the focus is not really on developing the age group as a team, results are not even registered, it's more about identifying and nuturing individual talent. 

If a clubs lucky to have more than an average amount of talent in a particular age group then obviously, that age group will perform well in competitive games. It could also be that none of them progress and the age group below that gets tonked every week, has one stand out, elite player that they will focus on through out the program.

I am not sure hammering teams by scoring 55 or conceding 22 is the best success measure at this level. It is good for then to win, or at least not continually lose, but isn't the key aim to develop them. We've debated this plenty of times in the past but in my view it is more about developing technique, aptitude, desire (I don't mean we shouldn't want to win) etc than hammering every team. The winning at all costs mentality at this level is what leads to picking the biggest strongest lads. I am not for a moment suggesting this is what we are doing, but we aren't in the 80's and 90's anymore.

Your right and no it's no longer about the biggest strongest lads or a win at all costs attitude. They are coaching them to the right guidelines and to do the right things. Your correct, hammering Barnsley 55-4 means nothing if we have 3 6ft giants who just barged through them every time they got the ball.

That's not the case though, the 8s and the 10s play some wonderful football and I would bank on a lot more than 3/4 from both teams to go a lot further than 16s.

Coaches at middlewood rd are saying they are the best groups they've seen

Just sent you a DM p

Barnsley have a very good academy system and regularly have graduates making the first team or sold on for good money.

I'd take the 55-4 scoreline with serious pinch of salt as it's totally irrelevant in small 4x4 games.

7 v 7

Both teams had 2 sides and played both opposition teams over 2 twenty minute halves.

Guest i 8 colin

Your right and no it's no longer about the biggest strongest lads or a win at all costs attitude. They are coaching them to the right guidelines and to do the right things. Your correct, hammering Barnsley 55-4 means nothing if we have 3 6ft giants who just barged through them every time they got the ball.

That's not the case though, the 8s and the 10s play some wonderful football and I would bank on a lot more than 3/4 from both teams to go a lot further than 16s.

Coaches at middlewood rd are saying they are the best groups they've seen

Guest i 8 colin

well done acadamy nice work   know a few u8 at local acadamys do wednesday allowed them to play in sunday junior league next year as some clubs dont allow it some do

well done acadamy nice work know a few u8 at local acadamys do wednesday allowed them to play in sunday junior league next year as some clubs dont allow it some do

as I understand it they are happy for kids to play Sunday football upto U9. It does get a bit much though. This year it's Swfc mon, weds and sat and Sunday team tues and sun. I can see why raheem sterling is knackered already lol

Guest i 8 colin

Can just about remember being 8 used to play everyday till it went dark more tiring for parents running them round , keep us updated on progress well done

well done acadamy nice work   know a few u8 at local acadamys do wednesday allowed them to play in sunday junior league next year as some clubs dont allow it some do

Clubs can't stop u8's playing Sunday football

They can't sign them to their academy until the 3rd Saturday in the April of the year immediately preceding their u9 year (so those who will be 9 after the following September 1st) 

Clubs can't stop u8's playing Sunday football

They can't sign them to their academy until the 3rd Saturday in the April of the year immediately preceding their u9 year (so those who will be 9 after the following September 1st)

This is correct and they don't try too at Swfc. They are trying to create the family/fun side that kids enjoy with the Sunday league teams. At the end of the day they are still kids who will only continue to develop if they enjoy it.