Hip hop thread

Cersei

On 06/08/2021 at 07:26, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

@EighteenSixty7 - just listened to King's Disease 2.

Will avoid posting anything just yet, as don't want to taint your first listen-through if you've not already got to it, but would love to hear your thoughts.

Not even heard a snippet yet as I’m busy decorating the house we just moved into. However might try and listen to it this week if I get the chance. 

what are your thoughts? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, EighteenSixty7 said:

Not even heard a snippet yet as I’m busy decorating the house we just moved into. However might try and listen to it this week if I get the chance. 

what are your thoughts? 

Good luck with the decorating!

For me, it's a brilliant continuation of the first King's Disease whilst actually improving on the first.

Like the first, having one producer makes for a really cohesive album. There's variety across the tracks, but a lot have a really warm, jazzy vibe which suits Nas perfectly. Several have a beat switch halfway through, which I really enjoy.

As for Nas, he's as sharp as ever - flowing effortlessly and trying out little tweaks to his usual style at times, but never in a way that feels forced or artificial. Lyrically, this is a really mature album. He's clearly really comfortable with his status and has nothing to prove anymore - he can sit back and reflect on the past, philosophise, and generally enjoy the fruits of his success.

The guest artists are really interesting, too. Having EPMD together again was a great touch, then Eminem comes through and adds a brilliant verse. I'm not his biggest fan, but you can tell he was eager to impress on a track with his idols, and he goes all out. Yet despite all his technical virtuosity, it's Nas who has the more interesting things to say, and so Em doesn't steal the show from him.

And then there's Lauryn Hill...

I was so excited when I saw her name on the track list, hoping we'd hear her rapping, expecting it would be a chorus, and fearing a spoken word outdo or something. As the track progrssed, I was fearing the worst, thinking the vocal sound in the background was Lauryn and that was all we were getting. But then in she came with her verse, and it was so good to hear that voice again. I genuinely had tears in my eyes at the end of my first listen. As things stand, it's my favourite track on the album, but there are still some tracks which, although I enjoy them, I can tell haven't fully grabbed me in the way they might just yet.

The fact that 30 years since his debut, Nas is still emceeing at such a high level is incredible, and this album is just beautiful.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Sh*t - I missed out Distant Relatives!

Take two...

1. Illmatic
  2. It Was Written
  3. Lost Tapes
  4. Stillmatic
  5. Life Is Good
  6. King's Disease II
  7. God's Son
  8. King's Disease
  9. Distant Relatives
  10. Untitled
  11. I Am...
  12. Street's Disciple
  13. Hip-Hop Is Dead
  14. Lost Tapes II
  15. Nasir
  16. Nastradamus

On 11/09/2021 at 17:38, EighteenSixty7 said:

Happy 20th to The Blueprint. 

A great album, and the one which blew away any remaining resistance 16-year-old me, with my Mos Def, Kweli, and Company Flow ears on, still harboured towards 'commercial' Hip-Hop. 

The production on that album was immense, and led to a new wave of sample-based Hip-Hop in the early part of that decade, whilst Jay was totally in his comfort zone (until 'Ether', at least).

• Like 1