Official Loan Window Megathread 2014-2015

Interesting comments from Gray in the Telegraph regarding the general fitness of loan players. Most arrive lacking fitness and shouldn't be starting matches, but perhaps need minutes off the bench to bring them up to speed. I would say this is true of most loans and really brings into question, why have we left it until the emergency loan window. The two loan signings we have made are very different. Royston Drenthe is clearly not match fit, and will probably take some time to get there, while young Hallam Hope looks ready in terms of fitness, but the championship is a big step up from Bury. Both will need time, but the beauty is, we don't only have them for a month. Is it still possible to sign players on loan for longer than the one month duration?

Interesting comments from Gray in the Telegraph regarding the general fitness of loan players. Most arrive lacking fitness and shouldn't be starting matches, but perhaps need minutes off the bench to bring them up to speed. I would say this is true of most loans and really brings into question, why have we left it until the emergency loan window. The two loan signings we have made are very different. Royston Drenthe is clearly not match fit, and will probably take some time to get there, while young Hallam Hope looks ready in terms of fitness, but the championship is a big step up from Bury. Both will need time, but the beauty is, we don't only have them for a month. Is it still possible to sign players on loan for longer than the one month duration?

What have we left til the emergency window?

From what I can see, we now have enough players and options for every position. So the only loans I expect us to sign will be real quality ones that are too good to ignore.

Absolutely no need for panic signings. First time in ages we've been in this position.

What have we left til the emergency window?

From what I can see, we now have enough players and options for every position. So the only loans I expect us to sign will be real quality ones that are too good to ignore.

Absolutely no need for panic signings. First time in ages we've been in this position.

Totally agree, best we've been for ages. The manager has said he wants another forward, and in my opinion, we probably need a bit of quality in midfield. No panic signings, just bring players in if they can upgrade on the quality we have, and hopefully on a ninety day loan in October.

Totally agree, best we've been for ages. The manager has said he wants another forward, and in my opinion, we probably need a bit of quality in midfield. No panic signings, just bring players in if they can upgrade on the quality we have, and hopefully on a ninety day loan in October.

There's better quality available in the loan window as clubs aren't willing to let players go until they know what they've got to work with.

Be great if we could land a striker and midfielder, but not a necessity right now either.

Yep, up to 93 days.

So the wise move is wait until the 93 days takes us to the Jan window

This is key for me. I was unaware that it could be anything other than a one month loan in this period, of little use when you are taking someone you need to get up to speed. However, 93 days makes sense, and as we are pretty much OK, we perhaps should wait until October so it would take us to January, and cover the busy Christmas period

What about that Sylvan Ebanks-Blake chap. A free agent at 28 and scored at this level. Is it his injury record that is putting off teams from signing him?

I know he had a trail with Ipswich and they did not sign him.

Maybe he could have a trial with us?

Not sure of his wage demands but surely he's going to have to take a cut or he'll end up like Koumas.

What about that Sylvan Ebanks-Blake chap. A free agent at 28 and scored at this level. Is it his injury record that is putting off teams from signing him?

I know he had a trail with Ipswich and they did not sign him.

Maybe he could have a trial with us?

Not sure of his wage demands but surely he's going to have to take a cut or he'll end up like Koumas.

Scored a lot at this level but, like you said, his injury record & wages would put me off.

Dunno about that. Both Pearson and player seem adamant he's not going anywhere at the moment. Thing is, I'd have liked us to move for Aluko. Sagbo heading out could make that even less of a possibility.

Guest Sheff Owl

Gray was talking yesterday about he thought he had a striker in but the striker got injured and could be out for while.

I'm guessing it's probably Premiership so anyone know of any strikers who have just picked up a long term injury?