General Meeting reminder

Guest Undercover_Owl

I must admit that was my thought.

As someone who worked hard in the 3 years I was involved on developing fundraising initiatives, and having spoken to Eddie and Rich about this too, I know they are very keen for those funds to find their way into the community rather than into the new organisation.

I'm not really sure about the status of the new SWSC or whatever it's called (the fun one). Is that a charitable organisation? Don't they now have more members than Wednesdayite? I don't know how many they have. Will there be a challenge from them against the new Wednesdayite Ltd company over who benefits ?

Guest Deleted member

It's a 10/15 minute job to fill in that form, it's simple and something that should be recorded anyway.

We can dwell on the past, and focus on mistakes made, or you can look to the future and move on.

I'm pretty sure the people involved would much rather do that (and I'm with them on that one)

But for me the issue is what is done with the funds of the defunct organisation, and thats why I feel a line needs drawing, funds distributed, and people can move on knowing they did the right thing.

Again, I can't think of a better way to ensure the funds are distributed correctly than to work with the guys at the Sheffield Wednesday Community Programme to ensure they go to the right people.

Am I right in assuming some of those funds include the WTID monies, or has that been sorted now?

Guest Deleted member

I'm not really sure about the status of the new SWSC or whatever it's called (the fun one). Is that a charitable organisation? Don't they now have more members than Wednesdayite? I don't know how many they have. Will there be a challenge from them against the new Wednesdayite Ltd company over who benefits ?

As I understand it, thats a company limited by guarantee, exactly the same as Wednesdayite Limited (a not for profit organisation)

Personally, I'd be against any challenge being made by them for those funds, I think they should benefit the community. I don't think the guys involved would do that (though I havent asked them)

Guest Undercover_Owl

Yeah I can't see them doing so either. Just highlighting how little of a claim the new Ltd company actually has on those funds in comparison to other charitable organisations which may come forward for those funds in the community.

The wording of the clause is terrible.

Guest BirdonaMaguire

As I said the silence of some directors (previously the mouthiest) is astounding, surely Captain Blackballoon will come out and waffle on about integrity and some such crap when, in all honesty, he should resign as a failure.

Guest Undercover_Owl

I'm glad you've taken time to answer so many questions Grandad.

I'm not satisfied fully with the answers but at least we have the opinion of someone formerly on the inside and that is a good starting point. If anything your answers have created a number of sub questions and until the current directors actually provide more clarity then we are not going to understand what is going on.

Again, thanks for taking the time.

As for me being an idiot. The fact that I picked up on many of these points and had to ask these questions at all clearly displays that I'm not at all an idiot and the fact that I wish to see all claims by the current directors of the new Ltd company on funds of the old Wednesdayite parent company denied and that money allocated to non connected community charities appears to be the best solution. That way any current directors of the new company can't simply continue on in the disastrous manner in which the old one which they oversaw and it will also wipe out the conflict of interest that may arise.

And the community benefits.

A new start for all.

I'd hate to see what would happen if I'm an idiot and I asked these questions if someone intelligent such as a solicitor got stuck in...

Thanks again grandad.

Guest Deleted member

I'm glad you've taken time to answer so many questions Grandad.

I'm not satisfied fully with the answers but at least we have the opinion of someone formerly on the inside and that is a good starting point. If anything your answers have created a number of sub questions and until the current directors actually provide more clarity then we are not going to understand what is going on.

Again, thanks for taking the time.

As for me being an idiot. The fact that I picked up on many of these points and had to ask these questions at all clearly displays that I'm not at all an idiot and the fact that I wish to see all claims by the current directors of the new Ltd company on funds of the old Wednesdayite parent company denied and that money allocated to non connected community charities appears to be the best solution. That way any current directors of the new company can't simply continue on in the disastrous manner in which the old one which they oversaw and it will also wipe out the conflict of interest that may arise.

And the community benefits.

A new start for all.

I'd hate to see what would happen if I'm an idiot and I asked these questions if someone intelligent such as a solicitor got stuck in...

Thanks again grandad.

While I do try to keep things serious, on something that is a serious matter, you shouldn't take to heart a flippant 'Yes' reply to a question of 'Do you think Im an idiot'

lol

This is Owlstalk after all, and is a place for (most of the time) light hearted banter.

The way you formulated the questions as you did suggest you are far from being an idiot.

Guest Undercover_Owl

:tango:

Good point that mate.

Again, credit for taking the time to answer and actually taking on the responsibility of doing so.

Now we wait for the others to do so.

I'd like to add as my twopenneth (largely I concur with what Nigel has posted above) that I don't for one minute believe that any directors, either throughout the period 2006-2010 or thereafter, would have intentionally failed to file the accounts required. It's clear to me that due to the vacancy of Secretary this small but important deliverable was forgotten.

It could be argued that something as key as this should have been known to more than just one member of the administration of the society, but like Nigel, the news that this has come to a head was a complete blindside to me. It was certainly never something that was ever mentioned in board meetings or even in passing.

It's also important to remember that all who served as Wednesdayite directors were volunteers and as such there was always greater potential for incompetence or lack of oversight to creep into aspects of the running of the entity. If we'd had more willing to step up and be part of the project (or even just fewer disinterested or disruptive people involved) then I think we would have had a better chance of avoiding stuff like this happening.

Undercover Owl's questions were all valid and I think deserve a response from both current directors of the society and more importantly those who held positions between 2006-2010.

Guest Deleted member

Undercover Owl's questions were all valid and I think deserve a response from both current directors of the society and more importantly those who held positions between 2006-2010.

Might be worth adding here at this point that no one will be expecting Neil to give his version of events on here to cover his 2 day directorship

Quick question ? What organisation / company have current members paid their subs into ?

The old one or the new one ?

If members paid money into the "old" wednesdayite. This technically means their not members of the "New" Wednesdayite legally ?

Any they shouldn't be allowed to vote etc ?

Or is this a can of worms ? 

Have we genuinely reached a stage where there is £30K of money sat in account that no one can now legally access ?

Edited by _Ibbo_

Guest Undercover_Owl

That's actually a really good point. Was this AGM technically the last AGM of the old organisation and the first of the new Ltd company?

Were the members given voting rights asto whether they wanted to leave the old organisation and transfer their membership across to the new Ltd company?

Would it not have been right to also immediately cease all elected roles from the old organisation and an election of new directors and volunteers take place immediately rather than the old roles and people simply move across?

Do the funds from the current membership year and carpark funds from this season actually belong to the new Ltd company?

Does the new limited company actually have a lease agreement with the owner of the carpark and a right to legally enforce parking fees?

Is it even legal to transfer liabilities and lease holdings across from one charitable organisation to another (the carpark and bar?) Were leaseholds vested in the new company charity by an order under section 16 of the Charities Act 1993, if so this does not create a breach of a covenant or condition (section 97(3) of the Charities Act 1993) as I understand it? Same goes for other contracts signed between the former organisation and any suppliers etc.

Are the members actually legally members of the new Ltd company? Were transfer agreements/vested interests etc observed in the transfer of membership?

Seriously, just how legal is this?