Stevie May

The St Johnstone striker has been tracked by Championship rivals Rotherham United for the last nine months and the Millers were on the verge of sealing an £800,000 deal with the Perth club.

But now Owls boss Stuart Gray has locked horns with newly promoted United in an attempt to lure the Scotland Under-21 star to Hillsborough.

Gray, who faces a curtain raiser against Brighton this weekend, is determined to add firepower to his squad. And 21-year-old May, left, who snatched 27 goals in a dream Premier League debut campaign, has emerged as his number one target.

Saints have been unable to persuade their home grown talent to pen a contract extension beyond next summer.

And chairman Steve Brown knows the value of his prized asset will plummet without nailing down a new deal.

Manager Tommy Wright had expressed surprise that Rotherham seemed to be the only name in the frame for his long-haired Scottish Cup winner.

But when it emerged Saints were prepared to part company with May, Wednesday manager Gray wasted no time in firing off a bid in the region of £800,000 for the Perth striker, who has also netted in Euro ties with Norwegians Rosenborg and Swiss side Luzern.

I know, it's Scotland so it doesn't count but the lads got a decent record....

• St. Johnstone  - Apps 63  Goals 23
  • Alloa Athletic   - Apps 22  Goals 19  
  • Hamilton Aca   - Apps 33  Goals 25

Career

Apps 118 Goals 67

and as far as I remember Goalposts are the same size whichever League you play in.

Edited by Lord Snooty

Guest JonTheOwl66

Talks are ongoing with Rotherham...

Nothing will happen anytime soon because St Johnstone are in the Europa League this week.

From what I've read St. Johnstone want him to play this Thursday and that's it.

Guest Distraught!

We've offered £800k to St Johnstone for this lad..

"In the region of ......"

That's journo speak for they haven't got a clue.

Can't say I've seen an awful lot of him , obviously scored a few last year but strange there isn't a clamour for his signature

Will play in Europa league regardless on Thursday so could see it dragging into next week , but sounds like there just holding out for 800k which Toytown haven't offered yet

I know, it's Scotland so it doesn't count but the lads got a decent record....

• St. Johnstone  - Apps 63  Goals 23
  • Alloa Athletic   - Apps 22  Goals 19  
  • Hamilton Aca   - Apps 33  Goals 25

Career

Apps 118 Goals 67

and as far as I remember Goalposts are the same size whichever League you play in.

According to Soccerbase, his record at St Johnstone is 54+25 appearances, 31 goals. He scored 27 last season in all competitions.