dom howson (local SWFC reporter) and journalists in general

Dom howson is our new reporter now Paul Thompson has retired.

A Pig who has a red and white twitter page.

24 hours and 32 pages after the Antonio transfer has been discussed on here/twitter/facebook

he claims "my sources tell me"

likewise skysports reports "skysports understand"

what is the point of these people?

Dom howson is our new reporter now Paul Thompson has retired.

A Pig who has a red and white twitter page.

24 hours and 32 pages after the Antonio transfer has been discussed on here/twitter/facebook

he claims "my sources tell me"

likewise skysports reports "skysports understand"

what is the point of these people?

It was LampsJnr that first broke this news yeasterday on here, must hold my hand up I thought it was yet another wind up, but he's proved me wrong, fair play Lamps.

The "my sources tell me" part for me is always the irritation, especially when probably 1 in 10 of the stories they run turns out to be right.

I suppose it's more the age we live in were news can be instantly reported - far cry away from buying a copy of The Star and something being in physical print having a bit more credibility surrounding it.

I wouldn't call a lot of them reporters - more just vehicles to constantly regurgitate any time anyone farts in the world.

Guest Sheff Owl

Media from outside of Yorkshire seem to break info long before any of the locals do.

Then when they do they act like "my sources tell me" in reality they receive numerous tweets, read other media outlets and then pretend they knew all along.

Always the last to know.

Guest Sheff Owl

Remember Andy Giddings and the Adam Le Fondre situation.

My sources tell me Swfc haven't bid for Le Fondre.

Only to find a short time later we did.

It was LampsJnr that first broke this news yeasterday on here, must hold my hand up I thought it was yet another wind up, but he's proved me wrong, fair play Lamps.

Was it the real Lamps Jnr I wonder? makes sense if so with his sources in the game I guess.

Knowledge is power.

Speaking of which I thumbed through a copy of The Star in a petrol station the other day and it was waffer thin...

So no knowledge or power I'm afraid.

It is very thin these days I have noticed. 

They keep trying to change the format inside it, but it probably just confuses OAP's. 

In regard to Dom Howson, I think a lot of other local journos source their info from him, as on Twitter you see them all retweeting what he has put. 

Obviously behind on this one though. 

It's tough for the local hacks now in the age of the internet.

But when I compare the Sheffield papers to the ones in Newcastle (both very keen football cities)

The journal and chronicle have many more reports and insights and it has more columns too from ex pros, people who can provide some actual insight.

I guess it's all down to funding but it would be good if the star could do that. Thankfully our radio sports team is one of the better ones, or it was.

It's tough for the local hacks now in the age of the internet.

I appreciate that, I was thinking more of the tagging on to things rather than getting the "scoop"

this has been discussed for 24 hours and had about 30,000 hits on this site alone

to then post...."my sources tell me"

its very sloppy...and we have this clown reporting on Wednesday for the coming season in the local press on what could be a very interesting season one way or the other

Dom isn't a Pig, he's not even from Sheffield and is pretty impartial when it comes to us and them!

I think if I recall correctly, he's a Man Utd fan from Stockport (I used to take pictures for the Sheffield University Steel Press newspaper when Dom was Editor back in 2008 (he was studying journalism at the uni)).

He's a nice guy and to be honest I don't think he'll be at the star all that long as he's a decent hungry journalist who will push on elsewhere... it's those who get comfy who get lazy.

Anyway, he's likely to have actual sources at the clubs or more people in the know... any journalist worth their salt does have this and won't just resort to using twitter, facebook or this site for news. So just because it's mentioned on here and he says "sources" don't presume they are the same thing... it's likely that rumours could have caused him to investigate further and back up a rumour to a real story of note

I suppose Dom Howson is guilty of commenting on news, not speculation. If as is suggested here, he just re-hashed what was posted on this forum, he'd have been reporting on us signing the Hartlepool striker (remember somebody saw him at Hillsborough, when theis "somebody" was stuck on a red light beside the ground?), and countless other signings we've been making, according to people on this forum who are "In the know". Local journalists get slated on here, for speculating, but then they get slated for waiting for hard facts before reporting a transfer. It'd be interseting to know how many of the people who've slated Howson in this particular thread have ever worked as journalists, or have any sort of journalistic qualifications. It's almost like they need something to complain about, and Dom Howson appears to be their current target.