Brandao

Was hoping Brandão would translate as something very cool (similar to Semedo translating to "without fear") but according to my wife his name just means "Brand Big" as Brand isn't a real Portuguese word!

He wont sign then. We're not going with a big brand this year.

I reckon 95% of the people on this forum wet themselves laughing when we signed Steve Howard, and he was outstanding. Good footballers may slow down a bit, but they never lose their ability. It's the ones without much talent, who rely on being physically fit and charging up and down the pitch, who finish playing, before the skilful ones. If we sign this Brazilian, and he's not just some big lump, but actually has some ability, he might be good for a couple of seasons.

Guest wilyfox

I reckon 95% of the people on this forum wet themselves laughing when we signed Steve Howard, and he was outstanding. Good footballers may slow down a bit, but they never lose their ability. It's the ones without much talent, who rely on being physically fit and charging up and down the pitch, who finish playing, before the skilful ones. If we sign this Brazilian, and he's not just some big lump, but actually has some ability, he might be good for a couple of seasons.

Fair point. I just find it hard to get excited about a 34yr old foreign player I've never heard of. But as you say, if he's talented and does the business...nothing else should matter.

Fair point. I just find it hard to get excited about a 34yr old foreign player I've never heard of. But as you say, if he's talented and does the business...nothing else should matter.

I'm excited about it and I'd never heard of him - if you look at his background he's been playing consistently at a much higher level football than the championship. Looks like he could well be quality at least for a year or two.

Guest laptaowl

Weird logic that he is too old when loads of people on this site were wishing for Rio Ferguson to sign 36 and in as crucial position as Brandao .

Don't worry. I have a maths degree too and none of that came up. It's more the sort of stuff you would need to analyse large blocks of data for something like finance or market research. Usually gets done using SAS, R or Matlab.

Big data big money

Matlab rings a bell, pretty sure I did something with that

So he's 34...big deal. Let's be honest, if we'd been in for Kevin Phillips 5 or 6 years ago I can't see many people saying it's a bad idea. Yes I know that Phillips has knowledge of the English game but Brandao has a decent goalscoring record even now.

So he's 34...big deal. Let's be honest, if we'd been in for Kevin Phillips 5 or 6 years ago I can't see many people saying it's a bad idea. Yes I know that Phillips has knowledge of the English game but Brandao has a decent goalscoring record even now.

Yep and I'd have signed Ryan Giggs 6 years ago too. The way modern footballers train these days means age is less of an issue. Just hope he can handle this league.