Which Wednesday player proved you most wrong?

Siggi Johnsson was supposed to be a wonder kid when we signed him but never really showed much once he broke into first team.

On other hand when we signed Lawrie Madden on a free transfer and seeing he'd spent most of his career playing in lower leagues for Charlton and Millwall, I wasn't expecting any more than a him being a squad player.

Turned out to be a bit of a legend, great reader of game with great pace.

I will always defend Francis Jeffers.

Injuries ruined him. He was looking sharp until that horror tackle by Shawcross, that really did it for him and he never recovered. You could see the intelligence in his play, the runs he would make and the space he would find, he was quicker in the brain than the players he had around him at the time.

Unreal.

I think the majority of the side Irvine put together in league one I thought would be decent, Teale, Morrison etc.

They were garbage.

Guest Ferkorf

I thought Giles de Bilde would fire us into europe

Used to think Regi Blinker would be as good as Edgar Davids

And Pablo bonvin would be our maradona..

Di piedi would be our new carbone..

Owen morrsion our Ryan giggs

For me - Chris Maguire...

I was never a fan of him early on, and when he was shipped out to Coventry last season I was hopeful that we'd seen the end of him. However, he finished the season magnificently, and I for one am glad that I was wrong THIS ONCE

I will always defend Francis Jeffers.

Injuries ruined him. He was looking sharp until that horror tackle by Shawcross, that really did it for him and he never recovered. You could see the intelligence in his play, the runs he would make and the space he would find, he was quicker in the brain than the players he had around him at the time.

Neg away. Still won't forgive him for that header he wimped out of against Palace on the final day confirming relegation however.

For me, I thought Bothroyd was going to be quality. Wrong. 

You make a valid point but it is slightly weakened by one simple fact......he was $hit....always

Tudgay when he first arrived I thought was a complete boner. Strolling about. Spending more time gesturing at the linesman.

He did get better though and nicked some memorable goals.

John Ritchie I think was unlucky in that when we signed him we'd just got rid of our two best wingers!

Tudgay when he first arrived I thought was a complete boner. Strolling about. Spending more time gesturing at the linesman.

John Ritchie I think was unlucky in that when we signed him we'd just got rid of our two best wingers!

Tudgay started off slowly and then was really good for a season, we gave him a good contract and after that did not seem interested.

More disappointments than positives unfortunately.

Ian Taylor looking back - was half decent for Villa after we sold him. But you could have said that about a load of players.

I think Phil King and Guy Whiitingham did more for the club than I expected - we moved Whittingham into midfield where he'd not played previously and did a job.

Guest Steve French

More disappointments than positives unfortunately.

Ian Taylor looking back - was half decent for Villa after we sold him. But you could have said that about a load of players.

I think Phil King and Guy Whiitingham did more for the club than I expected - we moved Whittingham into midfield where he'd not played previously and did a job.

And we sold Chris Bart-Williams to Forest who turned him from a great young attacking player to a plodding defensive midfielder. I'll never understand what happened to his career. Bumped into him in Malta a few years ago, was shocked that he was still playin out there.

David Hirst -

Think he said he'd never sign for us even for a "golden pig” so it wasn't the greatest start.

Scored on his Hillsborough debut but was all arms and legs. He did everything in a mad hurry and looked uncoordinated.

There was talent but I doubted if he coud ever really harness it and though he was a bit out of his depth.

Proved me so wrong and was the best forward I've seen in a Wednesday shirt, including Di Canio.

Not quite the complete player as he wasn't an elite finisher like Lineker or Shearer but  had greater strengths than both of them in many areas.

Tragedy he didn't win 50 England caps.

At the top end Phil Henson signed from (Man City ?) in 1975 looked anything but a footballer. Scrawny and underweight my first though was Oh no. Wasn't with us too long but played his part fully in our turning the corner.

At the other end of the spectrum was Wim Jonk , Dutch world cup International, had all the credentials, style grace excellent first touch. Never contributed more than pulling the shirt over his head for the Wednesday cause. Sails into my all time worst Wednesday 11.   

Giles Coke started like a house on fire in league one. I think he scored several in the first few games and I thought we were in for both an amazing season of bouncing back straight away and also having an amazing midfield assett. How wrong I was on both accounts.

Where have you been snooty old chap.

Captain 30, exactly what my dad said about Dooley but I never saw that in Hirst. Once I had seen him I pilloried Wilko for holding him back so much.

My big surprise was that once BFR came we got someone equally as fast in Atkinson and we went on to terrorise many defences in our relegation year.

Dalian moved on but I won a good few bets from my workmates in London betting that we would land one of the cups from the second division. 

Giles Coke started like a house on fire in league one. I think he scored several in the first few games and I thought we were in for both an amazing season of bouncing back straight away and also having an amazing midfield assett. How wrong I was on both accounts.

Yep, Coke definitely lost his fizz!

gary megson

Rodri - After his opening game vs Birmingham I actually walked away from that match thinking we had cracked it, we had managed to unearth a real gem.

Still think he is a decent player to be honest, just not for us.