Which Wednesday player proved you most wrong?

I've never thought a player was bad and he turned out to be half decent. However I sometimes think too much of some players. Rys McCabe for one. I remember liking this kovacevic kid, scored a class goal against Liverpool... Yet again Di Piedi was the next DiCanio!

Clinton Morrison -  I thought Irvine bagged a 15/20 goal a season striker for league one when we purchased him. Instead he was probably the worst striker we had back in league one. I thought we borrowed a member of staff from Manchester Airport, given he was more used to waving his arms all over the place instead of scoring goals.

I thought the signing of Efan Ekoku would become a waste of a wage when Jewell purchased him. Turned out he wasn't that bad in the end. Did a lot better than I thought he would.

Kenny Lunt thought he was going to make a good midfield player when he played against us for Crewe.

I actually have a friend in common with Lunt - when he signed, I was excited, mainly from what my friend had said about him. He is one of those players who had a good rep from 18-24, but never really built on that.

Fred Spiksley, thought when we signed him from Gainsborough Trinity we'd got a reyt good 'un because he had scored 131 goals in 126 games. Was flipping useless for us, his goals per game average dropped to only 1 in 3. Flippin' useless!

I would have thought Ross Barkley would have featured in this thread.

I remember people posting he wasn't good enough to play for us. Still makes me laugh.

Now probably the most influential player in the England team.

Guest OsiinAlnwick

On the minus side Yonk, Sibon, Ingerson, Lunt, Jeffers and Bothroyd.

On the plus side Bolder, Sterland, Madden, Veradi and Palmer.

With exception of Bullen the last few years have provided few surprises on the plus side, and we haven't had the money available to be really disappointed.

As any jaded Owl will tell you, first impressions can be deceiving. But which Wednesday player most convincingly persuaded you they were something they weren't upon first viewing?

This could be the player who looked like they'd struggle to pass water but went on to be an all-time great, or those who looked like a world-beater only to be an abject failure.

Personally, I don't think my dad will ever forgive me for claiming Zayatte was 'definitely a cut above what we already have and probably too good for the Championship' after a few too many Ribenas before the Rangers friendly.

Rocky Lekaj - Honestly thought he would break into the first team and be a wonder kid.

Edited by juniper7

Guest Steve French

Adem Poric. He had played in the third place playoff at the Youth World Cup in Portugal in an Oz team featurin the likes Bosnich, Okon and Muscat and playin against the likes of Figo, Rui Costa, Andy Cole and Dwight Yorke an so on. He had been taken on trial by a host of top Premier League clubs an we won the battle for him with him bein tipped to be a wonder kid. Failed miserably while the likes of Bosnich, Kewell, Viduka an what not became superstars. To give Adem his dues he's a nice bloke, I spoke to him this year about his youth coachin projects and his scouting that he does for us, was a really nice bloke.

John Ritchie........... yeah I know, he scored 45 in 106 games, not bad at all in hindsight. But, I remember when he signed, my mate saying "great, now we've got a REAL centre forward" and thereon after I always thought he was a big awkward donkey of a player and past his best.

Returned to Stoke and started banging 'em in again though looking at the stats he had about the same average in in that second spell with them (95 in 212)....not a patch on his first spell however, 81 in 135.

Recently met someone who nursed him in his final years in the Potteries, said he was a big strong handfull to the end.

RIP Mr. Ritchie and I take back my youthful criticism.

post-23806-0-73850100-1405413851.jpg