time for PFA to draw up "professional" guidelines... re Ched/Madine etc

I think the victims ought to have a say in things tbh every one assumes that they will get over it , well i'll tell you one thing they don't,why should a rapist walk back into a lucrative career , yet the victim gets forgotten and left to pick the remnants of their life up on there own ,

its a sad life when the powers that be reward the guilty ,,

I think the victims ought to have a say in things tbh every one assumes that they will get over it , well i'll tell you one thing they don't,why should a rapist walk back into a lucrative career , yet the victim gets forgotten and left to pick the remnants of their life up on there own ,

I think that the powers that be would be rewarding the guilty more by allowing them to live off the state rather than earning a living and paying taxes.

I know that you speak from the heart and also why so I'll leave it there.

Edited by Dagmeister

the question is though dag is how do we end it.on and off the field.

I don't think we can. Football is driven by institutional and individual self interest. The have's will want to keep the status quo. The have nots will allow it in return for crumbs from the top table.

I doubt that there will be voluntary change until it's too late.

Its not the law of the land.

eg, Policeman gets caught drink driving can't be an officer again.

Very, very few get caught, and even fewer are ever diciplined. They look after their own the same way that football clubs do.

Guest Distraught!

Very, very few get caught, and even fewer are ever diciplined. They look after their own the same way that football clubs do.

You can read many posts that will show I am one of the biggest critics around when it comes to police looking after their own but I can assure you that they are just as harsh with each other as they are with the general public where drink driving is concerned. Even police officers that are involved in accidents whilst pursuing other drivers are automatically breathalysed as is routine after all road traffic collisions.

That comes under contract law because it is specifically stipulated in some work contracts that committal of serious offences will result in dismissal. The contract clause is agreed at the beginning of the period of employment by both parties. The same requirement is probably not included in footballers' contracts.

So if the PFA were to draw up guidelines that were then included in contracts it would not be against the law of the land. Glad that's cleared that up.

Guest Distraught!

So if the PFA were to draw up guidelines that were then included in contracts it would not be against the law of the land. Glad that's cleared that up.

That is not the issue. It could potentially be put in as a contract clause but it would be like turkeys voting for Christmas. No club is going to include a contract clause that may see a valuable playing asset sacked and a subsequent huge loss of money. There are reasons for sacking employees in certain occupations that get criminal records because it would make them inappropriate to deal with the general public. It would be difficult to put the same constraints on professional footballers and those that stood to lose financially would almost certainly make a legal challenge against the ruling. 

That is not the issue. It could potentially be put in as a contract clause but it would be like turkeys voting for Christmas. No club is going to include a contract clause that may see a valuable playing asset sacked and a subsequent huge loss of money. There are reasons for sacking employees in certain occupations that get criminal records because it would make them inappropriate to deal with the general public. It would be difficult to put the same constraints on professional footballers and those that stood to lose financially would almost certainly make a legal challenge against the ruling.

Fair point but maybe the PFA could start by having guidelines for their membership? It would be a start.

Guest Distraught!

Fair point but maybe the PFA could start by having guidelines for their membership? It would be a start.

I agree that footballers should have a moral code of practice as they are often high profile, public figures. It would have to be voluntary. It is never going to have any legal status but could potentially be a work around for any club that wanted rid of a player because of criminal convictions. It would require a clever legal team but it could be twisted to state the player was in breach of contract by not complying with the required standards of discipline. That would be different from dismissal for criminal conviction.

Jesus christ its just football not open heart surgery, if you couldnt play football with convictions then the sunday league footy would be doomed lol lol

its not about the odd conviction, its about players being found guilty of murdering, raping and continuous law breaking behaviour whilst at the same time being seen as idols and earning millions a year whilst doing so.

Footballers think they are above the law, British football lost touch with the "normal" man many moons ago.

its not about the odd conviction, its about players being found guilty of murdering, raping and continuous law breaking behaviour whilst at the same time being seen as idols and earning millions a year whilst doing so.

Footballers think they are above the law, British football lost touch with the "normal" man many moons ago.

no English player has ever been found guilty of murdering anyone, and carried on his career, or been seen as an idol by anyone, what an idiotic thing to say.

with the others, when your sentence is over, its over, you can't punish people for the rest of their lives, just because some do gooder thinks they earn too much

Edited by scarboro-owl

maybe not murdering but certainly death by dangerous driving etc. Lee Hughes doing his dance after that made me feel sick

there's no maybe about it, it was definitely not murder

let the courts deal with offenders,

you'll be burning witches next