Hillsborough Redevelopment

Never mind all that "pork" pish.

38k in a one off promotion game,oh aye that really backs up your argument !

There were 40 odd thousand owls went to cardiff playoff final,20 thousand dint turn up for the season/seasons after

I said and i'll qoute just for you "our support IS GOOD,but it aint and never has been that good since i stepped thru a turnstyle in 83"

How come we've never averaged 30,000 in my 30 odd years of attending,even with the travelling hoards of mancs,scousers,geordies,southerners ?

Who would have thought that back in 1983 Chelsea, Newcastle, Man City would be able to sustain average gates of over 40,000.  If Wednesday had a  reasonable amount of success (Winning an actual trophy) we would could arguable match there gates or least not be to far off.

Who would have thought that back in 1983 Chelsea, Newcastle, Man City would be able to sustain average gates of over 40,000.  If Wednesday had a  reasonable amount of success (Winning an actual trophy) we would could arguable match there gates or least not be to far off.

What was 1991 league cup then and promotion,or the 1993 cup finals,is that not what we wednesday fans always refer to as being reasonably successful ?,but yet,that still wasn't enough for the attendances to average 30,000 home fans !!

People are overestimating the allure of The Premiership..beyond the first season, where Wednesday would probably average about 30k (38?...giveover...to average this you would need over 30 for even the midweek games and the games against the likes of..let's say Burnley. Fulham..Blackpool..Reading etc etc).  Another thing is the ticket price would be what?...cheapest adult ticket 30 quid going up to 42 ish?....we would need a sizeable change in the local economy for 10 to 12k people to pay this every other week (assuming 15k season tickets).

Beyond that first season if a club Wednesday's size (actual not some peoples perceptions) stayed up and had a few seasons of finishing 14th to 17th there would be an average of 27k.....maybe 25

Because football has changed and the premiership is a much different animal to what it was from when we were last there

If the pigs can average over 30K in the premiership then I know for a fact we would

Yes it has,its a 3 billion pound out of control monster,that gives not a shiny shy te about anyone else.

The averaging 30,000 is an opinion,not FACT !!

Leave the capacity as it is....

Chop down pillars on kop....

Make standing area on lower kop....

Connect corners of north and south roof to kop..

Big new screen to replace scoreboard...

Have speakers installed in south facing towards pitch playing cheering and singing to make out these an atmosphere in there....

And some lovely new royal blue paint wouldn't go a miss....

Oh and put all the flags back up on the norths roof...👀

We haven't averaged over 30,000 since 66-67.

7th in the premiership saw an average of a handful above 27,000

There's no chance we would average near capacity for the season, not even close.

Woah,steady on fella,you'll be labelled a wind up merchant or "pork" if ya don't big up the wednesday support  !!

Woah,steady on fella,you'll be labelled a wind up merchant or "pork" if ya don't big up the wednesday support  !!

It looks like we've averaged above 30,000 in 11 seasons since 1889, we may have a near 40,000 capacity but the fact is we haven't consistently filled the ground for decades, our support isn't all that.

Yes it has,its a 3 billion pound out of control monster,that gives not a shiny shy te about anyone else.

The averaging 30,000 is an opinion,not FACT !!

So you're saying we wouldn't manage to match the blades support when they were in the premiership

That's your opinion but I completely disagree

I am not saying we would or wouldn't average a big 30k plus crowd here.

The thing is with the attendances/average attendances in any given year/season, you cannot gauge it on any other season.

There are too many variables to be able to do that.

So my thought is:

We always have to do it the wrong way round.

Football, especially the top league, has a boom, we have been pathetic and got relegated, or have been relegated before the boom came in.

Either way, we have never been in the Premiereship when it has had the top crowds.

One season, just one season, i would like us to actually do something when the crowds are at their best, then see what crowds we would get.

new stadium looks brilliant on the outside .. would be amazing to see Hillsborough transformed into that beautiful fortress!

as it stands, the current tariff needs a right revamp. lick of paint, turnstiles rebuilding and loads of the mud dug out and replaced with nice shrubs or plants or made into a seating area. it looks the pits when your drive by. the only thing that looks good at the moment is the owls badge. the blue areas on the stadium look horrifically weathered!

Newcastle is a similar "poor" area yet 50,000 find the money to attend at higher prices. We have averaged 20,000 over the last 14 years of rubbish with desperately low away teams like Rushden, Torquay and Bury . Our highlight has been finishing second and third in the THIRD division.  Our crowds were amongst the highest in the early 90's and I have no doubt at all that we would average 30,000 in the PL.

Utd averaged just over 30k in a 32k capacity stadium in a relegation season.

We would easily get over 35k in the Prem.

People are brainwashed into the Prem Lge hype.  It's on telly all the time so folk will buy season tickets for it.  They aren't interested in the Championship.

It's a different world to the 90's when we were last up there. (Well, May 2000 to be exact).

Remember 91-2 when the team were 3rd best in the country?  Our ave attendance was 4th best in the country.  It wasn't over 30k.  That's a red herring.   Attendances were much smaller in those days.

Utd averaged just over 30k in a 32k capacity stadium in a relegation season.

We would easily get over 35k in the Prem.

People are brainwashed into the Prem Lge hype.  It's on telly all the time so folk will buy season tickets for it.  They aren't interested in the Championship.

It's a different world to the 90's when we were last up there. (Well, May 2000 to be exact).

Remember 91-2 when the team were 3rd best in the country?  Our ave attendance was 4th best in the country.  It wasn't over 30k.  That's a red herring.   Attendances were much smaller in those days.

This to a tee, We are in a bracket with City, Chelsea, Villa, Newcastle, Sunderland, Leeds for attendances so look at there gates and we would be round them depending on League position.

This to a tee, We are in a bracket with City, Chelsea, Villa, Newcastle, Sunderland, Leeds for attendances so look at there gates and we would be round them depending on League position.

But your not, if your honest.

Look at the teams you mentioned,which were in the Premier League the season you were relegated.

That same season, all of them (bar Villa) well over 90% capacity and well over 30k average.

Your's was the worst % of capacity (63%) in the league. Also only averaging 24,855.

Ok, it was your relegation season but just three season's earlier you finished 7th and still only averaged 25,693, whilst the teams you mentioned stil averaged over 30k+.

Like I posted earlier, people saying that the PL is a different animal now, attendance wise, to when you were last in it are not basing it on facts.

Infact, had Man U, Arsenal, Newcastle and Southampton had the capacities back then that they do today there would be very little improvement in attendances from the 99/2000 season to last season.

Personally, I do think you average over 30k for your first season back but as the novelty wears off you settle down at around 27-28k.

Just my opinion, not taking the pee.

Edited by just visiting

Anyone remember going to St James park to see Newcastle get crowds under 20K so your argument about needing a bigger capacity back then is wrong.

Look at their crowds now.

Both owls and dirty Leeds would easily average over 30K in the premiership.