Hillsborough Redevelopment

Of course attendances would increase, Palace got an extra 7,000 onto their average attendances which goes to show you what is possible.

But have a look at the stats for average attendances compared to stadium capacity. Most lower level prem clubs are still down around 10% on average, for us that would be around 4,000 empty seats. Which coincidentally is pretty much the number people are throwing around in here! Palace were still only 87% full (that'd be 34000 ish for us).

One issue we'd face is that we don't seem to have a fantastic corporate facility model in place right now... we've all heard the stories of it not making as much money as it should... how exec boxes have been empty for matches. This is where clubs can make a killing in the premiere league and as it stands we'd have no room for expansion of this without redeveloping a stand. and the west stand is the only logical choice for it 

The issue is much larger tho, our facilities are poor in the hospitality area, we don't seem to be able to recoup enough from them outside of match days and the season.

Yorkshire CCC have a fantastic system in place with Headingley Carnegie. I visited to talk to their PR last year and the place was abuzz with students. Just about every part of their corporate facilities was used by the university (the press box turns into a nice lecture theatre for example). It enabled them to develop their facilities and for the university to get ties with a real sports operation which meant a lot to the students.

Considering the changes being made to the sheffield college and hallam university over recent years, we (and the pigs to some extent) have missed MASSIVE opportunities in this area.

Hillsborough is used by the universitys, well definitely UoS.

Man Utd, Scousers, possibly City, Geordies if there doing well and a big team on first day of the season are the only ones that would sell 7000, the rest of the time it would be 3000 max. Plus a large away contingent gives the away team a boost.

Everton, Sunderland, Spurs, Arsenal, West Ham, Villa, and Norwich from this seasons Premiership all travel very well in numbers, so I'd expect around 5k from their followings too.

Hopefully, by the time we return to the Premiership, then we'll be able to have the home fans in all 4 sides of the stadium and give the away end the corner and the Leppings Lane Lower.

I'd imagine we'd have several sellouts if we got back to the top flight. We already average well now despite what is put on offer. Downgrading the capacity would be foolish in my opinion.

I'd imagine we'd have several sellouts if we got back to the top flight. We already average well now despite what is put on offer. Downgrading the capacity would be foolish in my opinion.

Agreed. When you've averaged c. 25,000 in League One in your recent history, it isn't beyond reason to expect you'll sell out (or come very close) 38,000 in the Premiership week in, week out.

Just got to get to the Premiership!

While we are on the redevelopement of the stadium, I would like to see the West stand demolished and rebuilt with some thing like a Cineplex underneath or a Bowling alley with bars and Restaurants, all capable of bring in much needed cash. Matbe do some thing simmilar with South stand with a shopping area.

All of this in the future of course.

Man Utd, Scousers, possibly City, Geordies if there doing well and a big team on first day of the season are the only ones that would sell 7000, the rest of the time it would be 3000 max. Plus a large away contingent gives the away team a boost.

so you´d cut the capacity of the ground just stop us giving the away team a boost ......

so you´d cut the capacity of the ground just stop us giving the away team a boost ......

No I said SWFC doesn't require a 40k stadium, we don't fill it and never have done on a regular basis even in the prem days. If and it's a big if, any redevelopment of Hillsborough was to take place I wouldn't make the place bigger like the picture in the OP, I'd improve the facilities for the home supporter and give away support 3k

The Leppings lane end at its current capacity wouldn't be big enough for Man U, man city, Newcastle, both scouse clubs, arsenal, Sunderland, Tottenham but you want to make it even smaller?

Do you remember how many these clubs brought to Hillsborough when we were in the top flight?

And that was at a time when crowds were much smaller across the country to what they are in today's premiership.

Anybody who doesn't think we'll be getting 38K for most home games in the premiership is mistaken or just too young to remember what it was like when we were actually good.

Our support is bigger than uniteds but didn't they average 32K in the premiership?

No I said SWFC doesn't require a 40k stadium, we don't fill it and never have done on a regular basis even in the prem days. If and it's a big if, any redevelopment of Hillsborough was to take place I wouldn't make the place bigger like the picture in the OP, I'd improve the facilities for the home supporter and give away support 3k

i guess you know what the SYP are like. ......to give only 3k to the away support would mean having one stand that held 3k.....then chuck in the exclusion zone on both stands next to the away end and you´d be left with about 25-28k for the home fans .

Agreed. When you've averaged c. 25,000 in League One in your recent history, it isn't beyond reason to expect you'll sell out (or come very close) 38,000 in the Premiership week in, week out.

Just got to get to the Premiership!

25,000 in league 1?

Can't remember the last time Wednesday averaged over 25,000.

Think it was the Ron Atkinson days of the early 90's.

To be fair though the first season for either Sheffield club in the PL would be huge.

Everyone comes out of the woodwork with even neutrals willing to pay whatever just for the novelty.

If United can average 90% of their capacity when we were last there then of course Wednesday would do the same with an average gate of 35K.

It's the subsequent seasons when then novelty has worn off where gates would slump to the late 20K's.

I'd leave Hillsboro as it is. There's no point in paying to reduce capacity as in the first season it will definitely be needed and for matches against Sheff U, Man U, Liverpool etc the 38K capacity is always needed.

The Leppings lane end at its current capacity wouldn't be big enough for Man U, man city, Newcastle, both scouse clubs, arsenal, Sunderland, Tottenham but you want to make it even smaller?

Do you remember how many these clubs brought to Hillsborough when we were in the top flight?

And that was at a time when crowds were much smaller across the country to what they are in today's premiership.

Anybody who doesn't think we'll be getting 38K for most home games in the premiership is mistaken or just too young to remember what it was like when we were actually good.

Our support is bigger than uniteds but didn't they average 32K in the premiership?

Yes it would,6600 is more than enough for any of  Man U, man city, Newcastle, both scouse clubs, arsenal, Sunderland, Tottenham.

We wouldn't get 38,000 for home games,we didn't the last time we were there,that includes the "when we were actually good" you allude to,our support is good,but it aint and never has been that good since i first stepped thru a turnstyle in 83.

Yes it would,6600 is more than enough for any of  Man U, man city, Newcastle, both scouse clubs, arsenal, Sunderland, Tottenham.

We wouldn't get 38,000 for home games,we didn't the last time we were there,that includes the "when we were actually good" you allude to,our support is good,but it aint and never has been that good since i first stepped thru a turnstyle in 83.

You must have stepped through the turnstiles at the lane then because all the above clubs brought more than 6,600 when the Leppings lane end was terraced.

And to say Wednesdays support isn't good suggests you're either on a wind up or you're pork

Do you remember the 38K against Wycombe in league1?j

To say we wouldn't get 38K in today's premiership is crazy talk

Never mind all that "pork" pish.

38k in a one off promotion game,oh aye that really backs up your argument !

There were 40 odd thousand owls went to cardiff playoff final,20 thousand dint turn up for the season/seasons after

I said and i'll qoute just for you "our support IS GOOD,but it aint and never has been that good since i stepped thru a turnstyle in 83"

How come we've never averaged 30,000 in my 30 odd years of attending,even with the travelling hoards of mancs,scousers,geordies,southerners ?

There were 40 odd thousand owls went to cardiff playoff final,20 thousand dint turn up for the season/seasons after

I said and i'll qoute just for you "our support IS GOOD,but it aint and never has been that good since i stepped thru a turnstyle in 83"

How come we've never averaged 30,000 in my 30 odd years of attending,even with the travelling hoards of mancs,scousers,geordies,southerners ?

first surely you don't build a stadium for your usual or average attendance. The capacity of the ground should be based on what we can get on big games, if we can get 38k against Wycombe and they brought a few hundred I don't think there is any doubt that there would be days in the prem where 40k plus should be achievable,

United ( there's only one united and it's not from Heeley bottom)

City

Liverpool

Everton

All would be 30 k plus

Arsenal

Chelsea

Spurs

The same providing it was not a dead rubber

Also consider

The north east clubs

Villa

Forest and Derby if they are up with us

and of course we might even get Leeds crawling down the m1

There is another point I wonder how many away fans are put off by the state of the leppings lane, a new stand with up to date facilities would surely attract more, as probably an up to date kop and north stand would attract more owls,

The World Cup 2018 plan of 44k (I think it was 44k ) sounds ideal to me. Let's build for success and not accept that the rubbish we have endured is now normal or acceptable.

The only time they'd be a full house at Hillsborough in the Prem would be, 1st home game of season, when Man U come to town, Scousers, and possibly Arsenal and

Chelsea, Boxing Day and last home game where we need the points to stay up, there ain't a cat in hells chance they'd be over 30k in Hillsborough for say a live Monday night match against Stoke.

Our support is bloody good, but I think your over estimating it a bit.

Your not Mark the Pitsmoor Owl by any chance are you?

I said and i'll qoute just for you "our support IS GOOD,but it aint and never has been that good since i stepped thru a turnstyle in 83"

Because football has changed and the premiership is a much different animal to what it was from when we were last there

If the pigs can average over 30K in the premiership then I know for a fact we would

This is a bit of a myth.

The year you were relegated the average PL attendance was 30,755 and the majority of teams where achieving above 90% capacity

Last season it 36,657, the increase is more than likely down to large amounts of extra capacity filled at Man U, Arsenal, Newcastle and Southampton.